View Poll Results: Religion: Nature or Nurture?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nature

4 36.36%
  • Nurture

7 63.64%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Pretty self explanatory. I grew up in a home that did not attend church and i see the good of some organized religions, but even though my wife makes me go with her every week i just cant buy in. I assume that even if my parents would have been "good Christians" I would be the atheist that I am today.

What are your thoughts? Not necessarily about me and my beliefs, because who really cares, but how have you come to grips with the cruel and fantastic world that we live in. Are humans born god fearing, or have traditions sculpted our cultures into what they are today. Nature or Nurture?
    I'm an atheist and think all religion is nonsense.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    I have found atheism to be lacking.
    All I have to say is ...

I need to stay out of this thread...

There's alot more to religion than just nature or nurture

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    This subject is way to sticky to tread lightly...but ill try.

I think if you find that religion has made your life better and more fullfilling, then thats great. If you find that religion doesnt have the effect on you, then thats great.

As for me personally... I was raised in church my entire life. I know the routine and I know the hypocrits. I have a hard time with the "business" of religion. So for me... the jury is still out.

I hope I didnt offend.
    "I will go in this way, but I'll find my own way out." -DMB

Dear Lord,
    Please grant me the ability to punch people in the face over standard TCP/IP.
    Amen.
    there are many names, many theories, many approaches, many versions, many sides, but they are all referring to the same thing. Thinking about religion, god, the universe, what ever you want to call it or not call it fails to satisfy in the deepest sense. The only way to know the truth is to take the time to feel it, sense it and be available to the possibility, you could be awed by what you discover. Or you could just go about your day, live your life the best you can because that is ok also
    Both my parents are Spanish. That basically means you're a Catholic by definition, don't need to go to church, and can (must!) curse all you want.

Other than that, I try to be a Buddhist. Not because I like to meditate (which I don't), need mantras (which I do), or believe in reincarnation (heaven forbid), but because it's not a religion, and I have temper issues.

In the history of the world, more people died because of religion than of any other thing.

I encourage all parents to not nurture their kids into any religion, and have them make up their minds as they grow up, and we'll see if there's still religion around a few hundred years from now.
    It's absolutely nurture. Stories passed down for 1000's of years. It could (but probably won't for a long time) disappear in a generation if people simply stopped telling them. There'd be a lot fewer people that can claim to have it all figured out. Interesting to think about.
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Both my parents are Spanish. That basically means you're a Catholic by definition, don't need to go to church, and can (must!) curse all you want.

Other than that, I try to be a Buddhist. Not because I like to meditate (which I don't), need mantras (which I do), or believe in reincarnation (heaven forbid), but because it's not a religion, and I have temper issues.

In the history of the world, more people died because of religion than of any other thing.

I encourage all parents to not nurture their kids into any religion, and have them make up their minds as they grow up, and we'll see if there's still religion around a few hundred years from now.
    But by not nurturing them around religion wouldnt that be nurturing them not to believe in it? Like I said earlier, I was raised in church and really lived it too. So yes you can say I was nurtured into religion, but that doesnt make me close minded. I can see through the fakes and money making aspects of orginized religion. After all... religion is just people right? If you truly want your children to make their own decision... You still have to introduce the idea, then let them make their decision.

Dear Lord,
    Amen.
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    I'm an atheist and think all religion is nonsense.
    That sums up my view as well.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Traxion View Post
    You still have to introduce the idea, then let them make their decision.
    I used to think that... but why? Do you have to introduce them to drugs, then let them make their decision on drugs?
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    I used to think that... but why? Do you have to introduce them to drugs, then let them make their decision on drugs?
    That comparison is spot-on (thoroughly Marxist though).
    "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen Roberts
    Too bad I leave all my books where I read them, because there's this one book with a passage about the protagonist (a Hindu if I remember correctly) trying all different religions for size, and is less than impressed with this guy who merely walks on water, and does stuff to food and such .

Off topic sorry
    I was raised Catholic - spent 12 years in Catholic schools. I sat on the agnostic fence for many years, and only relatively recently came out of the closet for the atheist that I am. The idea of a god or supreme being just doesn't make sense to me - and organized religion even less so. (I recently found out that here in Texas, I can't run for public office because the state constitution says I have to acknowledge a supreme being. Darn!)

I'm not offended by all the dumb blonde jokes because I know I'm not dumb... and I also know that I'm not blonde. Dolly Parton
    This subject is way to sticky to tread lightly...but ill try.

I think if you find that religion has made your life better and more fullfilling, then thats great. If you find that religion doesnt have the effect on you, then thats great.

As for me personally... I was raised in church my entire life. I know the routine and I know the hypocrits. I have a hard time with the "business" of religion. So for me... the jury is still out.

I hope I didnt offend.
    Im in the same boat....
    You're all gonna burn!!!!!
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    But by not nurturing them around religion wouldnt that be nurturing them not to believe in it? Like I said earlier, I was raised in church and really lived it too. So yes you can say I was nurtured into religion, but that doesnt make me close minded. I can see through the fakes and money making aspects of orginized religion. After all... religion is just people right? If you truly want your children to make their own decision... You still have to introduce the idea, then let them make their decision.
    Of course, every parent should choose for themselves what way they raise their offspring, but let's face it; we've tried this approach a few thousand years and every second of the way, we've been butchering eachother's babies in the Name of our God. We've slaughtered entire races/tribes/societies to the point of extinction.
    Conquest of the Americas (North and South), the Holy War, the Inquisition, the colonisation of Africa. Yes, money. Yes, power. But let's not rule out religion.

And let's not rule out other religions either (I'm sure there have been some feisty buddhists as well who couldn't stand the sight of crosses, crescent moons, or whatever)
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    I completely understand all your points. On the drugs thing... That's kind of omparing apples to oranges really, so it doesn't really apply to the topic. That's like teaching your kids what a gun is and teaching them how to kill someone with it.

Lets face it, we all have opinions here, but there is no reason to condemn a believer or non-believer. Like I said earlier if you're a believer and you feel it enriches you and your families lives then that's something that should be embraced whether you yourself are a believer or not. The same thing can be said for non-believers. Bottom line.. Life is to be lived to the fullest and if religion helps you reach that goal, then more power to you.

Dear Lord,
    Amen.
    I completely understand all your points. On the drugs thing... That's kind of omparing apples to oranges really, so it doesn't really apply to the topic. That's like teaching your kids what a gun is and teaching them how to kill someone with it.

Lets face it, we all have opinions here, but there is no reason to condemn a believer or non-believer. Like I said earlier if you're a believer and you feel it enriches you and your families lives then that's something that should be embraced whether you yourself are a believer or not. The same thing can be said for non-believers. Bottom line.. Life is to be lived to the fullest and if religion helps you reach that goal, then more power to you.
    True, but the question is nature vs nurture, so we're basically agreeing nurture is a big part of it, because we effortlessly shifted this discussion to the morality of religious parenting, completely abandoning OP's natural option.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast