View Poll Results: Religion: Nature or Nurture?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nature

    4 36.36%
  • Nurture

    7 63.64%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 61 to 66 of 66
  1. #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    Close but not really. You could mention the 300+ years of Arab attacks chiseling away at the Byzantine Empire but I doubt that would have the desired reaction.
    or perhaps the invasion and occupation of spain and other parts of southern Europe... for all the talk of the crusades and the vile crusaders, nothing is said of that little thing. I would point out, that the only reason the crusades happened was because of the invasion by Arab/Islamic countries.. just saying.. lol
    Life is short, Play hard, and enjoy every moment as if it was your last.
  2. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by xForsaken View Post
    or perhaps the invasion and occupation of spain and other parts of southern Europe... for all the talk of the crusades and the vile crusaders, nothing is said of that little thing. I would point out, that the only reason the crusades happened was because of the invasion by Arab/Islamic countries.. just saying.. lol
    That was a sore point, certainly, but not the reason. It was about possession and control of the "holy lands".
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  3. #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    That was a sore point, certainly, but not the reason. It was about possession and control of the "holy lands".
    true, however, it was Arab invasion of the holy lands that was the root cause.
    Life is short, Play hard, and enjoy every moment as if it was your last.
  4. #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan078 View Post
    Pretty self explanatory. I grew up in a home that did not attend church and i see the good of some organized religions, but even though my wife makes me go with her every week i just cant buy in. I assume that even if my parents would have been "good Christians" I would be the atheist that I am today.

    What are your thoughts? Not necessarily about me and my beliefs, because who really cares, but how have you come to grips with the cruel and fantastic world that we live in. Are humans born god fearing, or have traditions sculpted our cultures into what they are today. Nature or Nurture?
    I was raised in the Babtist church. I'm an atheist. I don't think it's just nature however. If I had to put money on it - I would bet on nurture but it's probably a mix.

    I was nurtured in a way that made it OK for me to make up my own mind about things. The path that led me to my decision is self-evident to me but would not be to others so there's a bit of nature involved also.
  5. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by xForsaken View Post
    true, however, it was Arab invasion of the holy lands that was the root cause.
    Actually, the whole thing was kind of kicked off by the turks. And btw, there's arab christians (there were lots of them in the area since about 400AD), just as there are arab muslims.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  6. #66  
    Nurture....that would explain why certain regions of the world tend to follow the same religion.

    I'm thank god everday that I'm an athiest. Wait..no I don't.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Posting Permissions