View Poll Results: Religion: Nature or Nurture?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nature

    4 36.36%
  • Nurture

    7 63.64%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 66
  1. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    True, but the question is nature vs nurture, so we're basically agreeing nurture is a big part of it, because we effortlessly shifted this discussion to the morality of religious parenting, completely abandoning OP's natural option.
    I think that's the point... the answer has been nurture, based on most of the responses. Culture forms religious life, and vice versa.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  2.    #22  
    If the answer is nuture than how did it start? Was the idea of a or multiple gods born out of ignorance (The way that greek mythology and other polytheistic religions are seen by western culture) or is there an inate drive in people to believe in something. I know that with out a god to believe in and turn to my wife would be lost at times. (doing my best to stradle the line)
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan078 View Post
    Pretty self explanatory. I grew up in a home that did not attend church and i see the good of some organized religions, but even though my wife makes me go with her every week i just cant buy in. I assume that even if my parents would have been "good Christians" I would be the atheist that I am today.

    What are your thoughts? Not necessarily about me and my beliefs, because who really cares, but how have you come to grips with the cruel and fantastic world that we live in. Are humans born god fearing, or have traditions sculpted our cultures into what they are today. Nature or Nurture?

    I decided to edit & shorten my response due, to some feedback and irritation it might have caused earlier.

    To stick to the questions of the OP, I don’t believe people are born God fearing. However, I do believe that there is an innate yearning that humans have to know God, and be connected to a higher being; hence the reason for so many religions.

    As for coming to grips with this cruel & fantastic world; it caused me to eventually seek to know who God was. When I did, it led me to Jesus, and now I’m a Christian. I feel more fulfilled now, than I did prior to becoming a Christian, and I am at peace in my faith.



    “Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened.” - Jesus, as quoted in Matthew 7 : 7-8
    Last edited by Smartfah; 11/12/2010 at 06:38 PM.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    Are people born God fearing? No, not really. Look around, what child or baby have you seen, that is born worshiping God. However, at the same time humans are born with a gaping void that only God can fill. That is nothing that needs to be taught or learned. Until we come into a relationship with the true & living God, there is nothing that will fill it. People try to fill it with many things; sex, drugs, partying, money, success, wealth, technology, cars, etc. etc. However, nothing will satisfy our souls the way God can.

    For those who donít believe in God, can you honestly deny His existence? After looking at our universe, our galaxy, our planet, and every living creature, can you really just credit it to happenstance or a random ďBig BangĒ? How can all of this evolve, or come about out of chaos or randomness? Everything was put here by a Creator.

    As far as my family background goes, it really is like the UN (in terms of faiths & beliefs) Within my family thereís a huge variety of beliefs and religions, & whenever thereís a family gathering, it usually ends up in heated debates about our faiths (or lack of) . So I went on for most of my life not having a particular belief, and not really knowing what to believe; but eventually I needed to know. When I began to seek God He revealed Himself to me as Jesus Christ. It was through people, through circumstances, & through events, He made himself known to me, & I know Heís real.

    As far as religion goes, in my opinion religion is just manís attempt to reach & know God. Contrary to what many people think, all roads donít lead to heaven; and every religion does not refer to the same god. Truth is absolute and not relative, and in the end there is only one God.

    I donít push my beliefs on anyone. I talk about my experiences & what I know, and I strongly encourage people to discover & know God for themselves. It will be the most important decision you ever make. Itís not about organized religion, itís not about traditions & religious ceremonies; itís not about what people tell you to believe, itís about a personal relationship with God, through Christ.


    Life is short & weíve been given this gift of life. We donít know how long weíll be on this earth, but when our time is up we will all have to stand before God, and by then it will be too late to decide. Seek Him now, and the decision will be clear.

    ďAsk, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened.Ē - Jesus, as quoted in Matthew 7 : 7-8
    You say you don't push your beliefs on anyone and then start preaching....incongruity!

    It was religion itself that turned me off, changed my mind and made me an atheist. I was ordained, at one time and walked away from all of it.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  5. Traxion's Avatar
    Posts
    153 Posts
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    True, but the question is nature vs nurture, so we're basically agreeing nurture is a big part of it, because we effortlessly shifted this discussion to the morality of religious parenting, completely abandoning OP's natural option.
    Of course nurture. There isnt a single relationship thats developed without being nurtured, including keeping long term relationships. You have to continue to nurture it. Even the bond between mother and child is nurtured. There is no such thing as a completely natural relationship. I guess the reason I strayed for the OP's post was simply because its a trick question, with nurture being the only answer.
    "I will go in this way, but I'll find my own way out." -DMB

    Dear Lord,
    Please grant me the ability to punch people in the face over standard TCP/IP.
    Amen.
  6. #26  
    Smartfah, no offence but you lost me at 'the true and living god', "One God" and Jesus Christ. You're hijacking this thread a bit.
    Great for you, but your enthusiasm means you're pushing your beliefs.
    No offence again, but I didn't join for that, so I'm gone.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    You say you don't push your beliefs on anyone and then start preaching....incongruity!

    It was religion itself that turned me off, changed my mind and made me an atheist. I was ordained, at one time and walked away from all of it.
    My intent is not to shove my belief down ones throat, however I must firmly state what I believe, especially seeing how the majority of people in this thread are probably opposed to my beliefs.

    Regardless, I can preach all I want & it means nothing (my intention was not to preach, but I guess that's what happens with us "religious folks"). In the end, it's up to you and anyone else reading to discover the truth and decide what you want. With all the different & contradictory view points that will come about in this thread, it is definitely not an easy topic to discuss .
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    My intent is not to shove my belief down ones throat, however I must firmly state what I believe, especially seeing how the majority of people in this thread are probably opposed to my beliefs.

    Regardless, I can preach all I want & it means nothing (my intention was not to preach, but I guess that's what happens with us "religious folks"). In the end, it's up to you and anyone else reading to discover the truth and decide what you want. With all the different & contradictory view points that will come about in this thread, it is definitely not an easy topic to discuss .
    See, that's what is going to irritate a lot of people. Once again, you reverted to acting like your way is the only truth and the simple fact is, you can't prove anything you believe anymore than any other religious person can!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    I'm an atheist and think all religion is nonsense.
    I'm not an atheist, but I do believe all religion is nonsense. I don't think those have to go together, not to say that that's what you meant.
  10. #30  
    My Opinion - It seems to me that this kind of discussion works best when we talk about ourselves and our own experiences. It seems to deteriorate when we talk about other people and what they should or should not do.


    I'm not offended by all the dumb blonde jokes because I know I'm not dumb... and I also know that I'm not blonde. Dolly Parton
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by patricksmangan View Post
    I'm not an atheist, but I do believe all religion is nonsense. I don't think those have to go together, not to say that that's what you meant.
    Nope, didn't say they have to go together, that's just my take.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Daisys Mom View Post
    My Opinion - It seems to me that this kind of discussion works best when we talk about ourselves and our own experiences. It seems to deteriorate when we talk about other people and what they should or should not do.
    You're right and before I say anything I shouldn't, because there's a lot more I'd like to, I'm getting out of this thread.

    And not in reference to you, at all, but I hate when someone just assumes that others need to be 'saved!' It's judging, no matter how you look at it.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    You're right and before I say anything I shouldn't, because there's a lot more I'd like to, I'm getting out of this thread.

    I'm with you!


    I'm not offended by all the dumb blonde jokes because I know I'm not dumb... and I also know that I'm not blonde. Dolly Parton
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Daisys Mom View Post
    (I recently found out that here in Texas, I can't run for public office because the state constitution says I have to acknowledge a supreme being. Darn!)
    lol, cause our nation is basically governed by softcore free masons (thanks stuf you should know podcast!)
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    See, that's what is going to irritate a lot of people. Once again, you reverted to acting like your way is the only truth and the simple fact is, you can't prove anything you believe anymore than any other religious person can!

    I don't want to irritate anyone, I see how my earlier posts could have irritated people, and did have an underlying, authoritative (this is the truth, and accept it) sort of tone to it. Unfortunately, I didn't mean it to come across that way. I sort of ended up preaching, & turned off people, in the same way I used to be turned of by religious speakers prior to my new beliefs.

    I'll just say that my beliefs ended up coming about out of personal experience, and seeking them out. It wasn't out of people shoving it down my throat, the way I did.(That's why I ended my original post with the quote that I did). I'll calm down with my tonality, and let the thread continue. In the end I guess we can agree to disagree, and let the free flow of ideas in the discussion continue.

    I'll probably make my way back over to the other forum threads, screaming about how I want my Pre 2 & webOS "Super Phone". Talk to you guys later.
  16. #36  
    what athiests don't get is that when you ask the public to explain their beliefs, "preaching" is the only way that evangelicals/pentacostals can do that past "because of my life's experience".
  17. #37  
    I think this conversation inevitably turns to religion vs. atheism, but to address the OP:
    I would say Nature. Nurture would help explain why people practice a particular religion, but to me, there has to be some kind of natural need that religion fulfills, that is the only way to explain the omnipresence of religion in all of its forms.

    Now, to the religion v. atheism conversation:
    1. Religion has killed more people than any other THING? doubtful. First off, religion has only been around for a sliver of human existence (apologies to the creationists out there). Religion may be responsible for many, or even most of the wars in recorded history. But keep in mind: that is limited to recorded history. Before religions took hold people still died, some people were probably even mean and war-like. Now the question: is it mere coincidence that religion sprung up at the same time as civilization took root or do the two go hand-in-hand (or at least contribute to each other). I think there are a lot of good sociological reasons to believe that the rise of religion was a fundamental reason that civilizations have been able to take hold in "recent" history. If you take the typical atheist view that religion is the "opiate of the masses", I would argue that the opiate had an important function in the rise of civilization.

    2. just as you cannot prove there is a god, it cannot be disproved by logic either. it really is a choice as to what you want to believe because science and logic cannot prove the existence of god nor the lackthereof.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan078 View Post
    If the answer is nuture than how did it start? Was the idea of a or multiple gods born out of ignorance (The way that greek mythology and other polytheistic religions are seen by western culture) or is there an inate drive in people to believe in something. I know that with out a god to believe in and turn to my wife would be lost at times. (doing my best to stradle the line)
    It's in human nature to try to understand and put meaning to things they don't understand. It's nature to believe an explanation of something you don't really understand in an attempt to understand it. It's nurture that determines which way you sway in your beliefs. That's not to say that someone raised catholic will be catholic but that nurturing will have an effect on what you decide to believe but by nature you will believe something whether it be that you have an immortal soul that's rewarded/punished in death, that souls just cycle through from body to body with each death and birth, that we all just rot with nothing afterwards, etc. Ultimately you pick something to believe in to explain what you don't understand.
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    I think this conversation inevitably turns to religion vs. atheism, but to address the OP:
    I would say Nature. Nurture would help explain why people practice a particular religion, but to me, there has to be some kind of natural need that religion fulfills, that is the only way to explain the omnipresence of religion in all of its forms.

    Now, to the religion v. atheism conversation:
    1. Religion has killed more people than any other THING? doubtful. First off, religion has only been around for a sliver of human existence (apologies to the creationists out there). Religion may be responsible for many, or even most of the wars in recorded history. But keep in mind: that is limited to recorded history. Before religions took hold people still died, some people were probably even mean and war-like. Now the question: is it mere coincidence that religion sprung up at the same time as civilization took root or do the two go hand-in-hand (or at least contribute to each other). I think there are a lot of good sociological reasons to believe that the rise of religion was a fundamental reason that civilizations have been able to take hold in "recent" history. If you take the typical atheist view that religion is the "opiate of the masses", I would argue that the opiate had an important function in the rise of civilization.

    2. just as you cannot prove there is a god, it cannot be disproved by logic either. it really is a choice as to what you want to believe because science and logic cannot prove the existence of god nor the lackthereof.

    I would say religion is more related to nurture.

    faith on the other hand, requires a leap that we decide for ourselves, and isn't put into a category that easily.

    or so i would say from my armchair.
  20. #40  
    Faith is the substance of things hoped for , and the evidence of things not seen . I have seen there for I believe . As Christians all we are supposed to do is love people . the fact that christians dont show that love in their actions is why people dont believe imho . because action speaks louder than words .
    ĦṔ-ḶÝōṫ-Ŧḯōη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions