View Poll Results: How much would you be willing to pay?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • $1 to $5

6 9.38%
  • $6 to $10

2 3.13%
  • $11 to $15

1 1.56%
  • $16 to $20

2 3.13%
  • $21 to $25

3 4.69%
  • $25+

1 1.56%
  • Nothing. Updates should be free.

49 76.56%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I'm not going to be happy if someone sees this thread & then suggests it to corporate HQ, and then we have to pay for a phone update. Garrett, YOU started this thread.... I'm holding YOU personnally responsible
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    I say we all sneak over to Garrett's house and throw him a soap bar party !!! No pay for updates !! Lol ltm ltm
    Haha. Hey, I just shared an editorial that I found interesting.
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    I'm not going to be happy if someone sees this thread & then suggests it to corporate HQ, and then we have to pay for a phone update. Garrett, YOU started this thread.... I'm holding YOU personnally responsible
    I deny any responsibility lol. Besides, this editorial probably gets more traffic over at Engadget...
    I'm with Sledge and Shane, we all blame Garrett, I don't care who wrote the editorial or where it came from. He's the one that posted it here and brought all the attention to it.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    a lot of times the updates are issued to fix some bug or defect encountered after the phone comes out. what would stop some unscrupulous people from palm from intentionally putting in bugs or defects to force people to pay for updates. i'm sure no company would be that dishonest but......
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    I would imagine the market would dictate if a company could start charging for updates.

If HP were to start charging for updates I predict (borrowed from R.Perot) a huge sucking sound as subscribers make a run for the exit.
    why did we pay full price for a half baked OS in the first place then? Updates should be free. Period.
    I voted I'd pay up to $20. Although if the features were not worth the price I would not upgrade.

Really we need to realize that nothing is free, HP-Palm invests money in the time and development that goes into a new OS, so an OS upgrade fee would be fair given that the cost of a new device would more than $100.

It is nice if we get it for free but VERY FAIR that they ask for our monetary support, when we are getting more usefulness out of our old device due to their upgrade.

PalmOS: Zire71, Clie NX70V, LifeDrive, T|X
    WebOS: VZW Pixi Plus, now VZW PRE 2

Quote Originally Posted by garnetlove View Post
    I voted I'd pay up to $20. Although if the features were not worth the price I would not upgrade.

Really we need to realize that nothing is free, HP-Palm invests money in the time and development that goes into a new OS, so an OS upgrade fee would be fair given that the cost of a new device would more than $100.

It is nice if we get it for free but VERY FAIR that they ask for our monetary support, when we are getting more usefulness out of our old device due to their upgrade.
    Not really. You're only thinking of development costs. The other side of that is support costs. If you make people have to pay for an update then you have to continue to give tech support for all previous versions of the OS while any product that might use those previous versions has a currently active life cycle.

It would be "fair" for them to charge for it but with the mobile OS business model it would cost them more then just giving it to people with active life cycle products.
    Quote Originally Posted by jwinn35 View Post
    I'd say that once a phone has reached the end of it's life paying for an update might be okay. Like say after 2.0 and I'm still rocking my pre minus 6 months down the line I could see them saying pay up or get a new webOS device and it not making me terribly angry.
    That is all fine an dandy, except, up here in the great white north, you couldnt get the palm pre plus that i know of. unless i bought in the states. To my knowledge it was never released here. I am working on a year and a bit, soon to be a year and a half. now they tell me i have to switch carriers to get the latest and greatest. hmmm not so sure about this. I really like my phone, i have a great plan, something that none of the carriers offer any more. Unlimited data, text, etc etc.. plenty of minutes, voice mail etc etc.. To go over to Rogers now, well it will suck. I am hoping that Bell gets this new phone, I am entitled to a free hardware upgrade next August, But I will be damned if I will pay 5-600 bucks to buy a Palm Pre 2 and than have to pay another 75 bucks to get a sim card. Sorry, as much as I like Palm and Web OS, its not worth it. I can see the BB Torch in my future, as much as I hate the product, it seems to be the only option to me. So paying for an end of life hardware unit software upgrades seems pretty stupid. Based on no new hardware that is.
    Last edited by xForsaken; 11/09/2010 at 03:49 PM.
    Life is short, Play hard, and enjoy every moment as if it was your last.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123