Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey Guys and Girls,
    I need some shopping help. I had an old projection TV with died, so I started shopping, so far I'm leaning towards a Samsung TVs because it have the best combination of quality and price. I don't want to spend a ton of money on the TV however I love add-ons, what do you mean you ask, PS3 for DVD player and Google TV.
    I need something that is atleast 46 inches, however I'm trying to understand the concept of a 3D TV, doesn't that mainly depends if you buy a 3D dvd movie which any dvd player would be able to play the movie? can't any LED or LCD TV plays 3D? What is the difference between regular TV and 3D TV? Is it worth an extra $1000 for a TV? What is your recommendations for the best value on the market?

I mention add-ons earlier and I want sling player on the phone however I own a Palm Pre and its not on the App Catalogue. I believe Samsung Galaxy S have DLNA and I can stream contents from my phone and display it to the TV also there is a Sling Player on Android, am I correct? And those are features I would like. Is there any other benefits with have a Samsung TV and Samsung Galaxy S?

What are your thoughts about Samsung Sound Bar? I like the concept of a Sound Bar which would you recommend? Which will give me the best surround sound at the best value?

My big question is it worth buys a 3D TV?

Your help is greatly appreciated.
    Thank you
    The 3-D TV will only come into play if a broadcaster is broadcasting in 3-D or you have a 3-D Blu-Ray player connected to the TV. You have to have both the 3-D TV and the Blu-Ray to enjoy the 3-D content.
    A friend of mine just bought a Samsung 3D tv. I think it a sixty inch. Haven't seen anything in 3D yet. He has to buy a separate box or something that comes with the glasses to watch 3D.

I wouldn't spend the extra money for 3D. It's cool in theaters but I don't think it would be as good on a small screen.

I bought a Samsung 46 inch DLP a few years ago. It has the sound bar and it sounds fine for just watching TV. Still use surround when watching movies, football, music. The sound bar works good with the surround too.

Don't know about streaming video from your phone. Don't really know why you would want to. I know some phones have HDMI out. Which would be cool if you shot a video on your phone, and wanted to watch it on your TV.

I'm not looking for another TV so I can't tell you what the best deals are right now. I do like Samsung though for the price, features, and quality they offer.
    I have a samsung tv and it's great. Highly recommended. LG is good too.

3D is a waste of money IMHO.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ReaganElephant View Post
    The 3-D TV will only come into play if a broadcaster is broadcasting in 3-D or you have a 3-D Blu-Ray player connected to the TV. You have to have both the 3-D TV and the Blu-Ray to enjoy the 3-D content.
    lets say u don't have a 3D TV, can u not just buy a 3D receiver and play it on your TV? I don't think manufacture added any extra component to the TV except for the 240hz.

its a RIP OFF like HD DVD it will not last.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by NinjaMunky View Post
    A friend of mine just bought a Samsung 3D tv. I think it a sixty inch. Haven't seen anything in 3D yet. He has to buy a separate box or something that comes with the glasses to watch 3D.

I wouldn't spend the extra money for 3D. It's cool in theaters but I don't think it would be as good on a small screen.

I bought a Samsung 46 inch DLP a few years ago. It has the sound bar and it sounds fine for just watching TV. Still use surround when watching movies, football, music. The sound bar works good with the surround too.

Don't know about streaming video from your phone. Don't really know why you would want to. I know some phones have HDMI out. Which would be cool if you shot a video on your phone, and wanted to watch it on your TV.

I'm not looking for another TV so I can't tell you what the best deals are right now. I do like Samsung though for the price, features, and quality they offer.
    as per my comment above... so i still need to buy something extra... lol not surprise.
    I have done some research over the past few days and yes Samsung seems like the best bet rite now. i know a few people who works for Bestbuy and the also recommend Samsung.

think i will take a drive down to America's arm pit to do some shopping on black friday.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I have a samsung tv and it's great. Highly recommended. LG is good too.

3D is a waste of money IMHO.
    i heard LG is not that great..

however i am falling in low with the Panasonic TVs
  8.    #8  
    Here is another question.........

Led, lcd or plasma?
    Don't want to spend big $$$ then buy a cheap VIZIO. For the price I can never find anything better.

America's #1 LCD HDTV Company | VIZIO
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Panasonic plasma's are excellent tv's and are the best value IMO. Plasma's have come down in price due to LED tv's and probably give you the most bang for the buck at this time.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_singh View Post
    lets say u don't have a 3D TV, can u not just buy a 3D receiver and play it on your TV? I don't think manufacture added any extra component to the TV except for the 240hz.

its a RIP OFF like HD DVD it will not last.
    In a word no. Your TV has to have the ability to display the proper refresh rate that can sync with the glasses to create a 3d image. Its an Active Glasses System.

Personally I wouldnt buy anything 3d until the Lenticular setups become available. Wearing 200$ glasses to watch a movie is just outrageous. Plus if you want to have friends over to enjoy it.... thats a lot of dough.
    "I will go in this way, but I'll find my own way out." -DMB

Dear Lord,
    Please grant me the ability to punch people in the face over standard TCP/IP.
    Amen.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    I find that if I bang my head on the floor for about 3 minutes, I get free 3D effects.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  13.    #13  
    THANK YOU VZA33..... Finally I got someone to properly explain it to me.

I remember about 5 years ago I got shrek 3D with the paper 3D glasses and it worked great. I think I still have the dvd somewhere.

Micael: lol......... LOL...........

you can the same by smoking some bad '' grass''
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    I find that if I bang my head on the floor for about 3 minutes, I get free 3D effects.
    I've got some of the same effects from the prescription meds the docs had me try!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  15.    #15  
    what's you Doc name I need to get my self a prescription
    what's you Doc name I need to get my self a prescription
    LOL! She only handles heart failure patients, can you fake it?
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    LOL! She only handles heart failure patients, can you fake it?
    yea I can fake it... But Is she hot?
    yea I can fake it... But Is she hot?
    LOL! I don't normally rate fellow women, so...
  19.    #19  
    however verwon?
    TV's are very subjective, but as one who used to work in video production I can share what I have found in my experience.

LED and 3D TV's are still relatively new technology and are still pricey in the consumer market. So unless you are one of those people who just HAS to have the latest gadget and don't mind paying for it, you should probably avoid both. Plasmas are a real bargain right now and have a really great picture, but don't have very good expected longevity compared to LED and LCD and will probably be bowing out soon. LCD is a good solid choice for now.

You need to consider image quality first. The trouble is a bigbox showroom is really the worst place to compare image quality on TV's because the lighting is awful and the TV's are usually set in a manufacturer's preset that tries to make them look good in the poor conditions of the showroom and the source video being displayed is often suspect. You should spend some time with the TV you have your eye on and play with the picture adjustments and see if you can get a picture that you like. Keep in mind that it will still look different at home than it does in the store. Check out the viewing angle, too. Lower quality screens will tend to get washed out as you move to the side. Stand at the end of a row of screens and look across all of them and see which ones pop out at you. You may never view it at that extreme angle, but that can tell you a lot about the quality of the screen.

You also want to pay attention to features - especially the number and type of inputs and where they are located. More HDMI's is better - make sure you have enough for the video components you want to connect. Whether the inputs are on the back or on the side could effect how you configure your equipment at home.

And sound - don't forget about sound quality. Unless you are going to setup a separate theatre style sound system - which maybe you are - you want to make sure the TV you buy has a decent sound system built in. Not all TV speakers are created equal.

In all, you'll get good quality from just about any of the mainstream brands like Samsung, LG, Sharp, Toshiba, Panasonic [I wouldn't pay the extra for a Sony] and if you are willing to play around with the picture settings you can probably tweak just about any TV to your liking. Lastly, before making that final choice I would suggest you at least look at Insignia [Best Buy's house brand]. I have purchased several of them and found them to be a good mix of quality and features and could save you a few hundred dollars over a comparable Samsung.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast