1.    #1  
    Hi all. I'm leaning towards getting a Pre 2 and reading a lot about it here, but I'm seeing a lot of terms I'm not familiar with. I've been outta things since I got my Treo 680. Hope someone would be kind enough to give me some quick explanations:

cloud computing/storage - I live in southern California; we don't get many clouds here. Is that going to hurt bandwidth? I hope I won't lose data. I assume backup clouds are used?

3D games - Cool, can't wait! Do I have to wear the special glasses? Or does the display have layers that go deeper into the phone to give the 3D effect?

homebrew apps - do I buy them and cook them at home? Wife isn't going be happy if I dirty-up her kitchen. Or can I buy them pre-cooked? Will that cost more?

What's "Preware"? I always see it with a penguin. Is it only for penguins, or can humans also make use of it?

"patches"? I've also read about memory leaks here. I assume the patches help cure that?

And "themes? I guess those are ringtones? Movie and TV theme songs? Can we also use other sounds/music?

And where is the stylus stored? From the videos and pics I've seen, there is no obvious place. I guess the Pre is trying to save space so no stylus storage? It's obvious that it is easily lost cuz I always see people having to use their finger tips on Pre videos.

I thought I had more questions, but that's all I can think of for now. Thanks much for any help.

Dan
    Sharp YO-370 -> HP 200LX -> Palm m125 -> Palm Treo 680 -> Pre 2

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." -Albert Einstein
    Oh my, that's the funniest post ever. I salute you, my friend!
    Quote Originally Posted by gaudenti View Post
    Hi all. I'm leaning towards getting a Pre 2 and reading a lot about it here, but I'm seeing a lot of terms I'm not familiar with. I've been outta things since I got my Treo 680. Hope someone would be kind enough to give me some quick explanations:

cloud computing/storage - I live in southern California; we don't get many clouds here. Is that going to hurt bandwidth? I hope I won't lose data. I assume backup clouds are used?

3D games - Cool, can't wait! Do I have to wear the special glasses? Or does the display have layers that go deeper into the phone to give the 3D effect?

homebrew apps - do I buy them and cook them at home? Wife isn't going be happy if I dirty-up her kitchen. Or can I buy them pre-cooked? Will that cost more?

What's "Preware"? I always see it with a penguin. Is it only for penguins, or can humans also make use of it?

"patches"? I've also read about memory leaks here. I assume the patches help cure that?

And "themes? I guess those are ringtones? Movie and TV theme songs? Can we also use other sounds/music?

And where is the stylus stored? From the videos and pics I've seen, there is no obvious place. I guess the Pre is trying to save space so no stylus storage? It's obvious that it is easily lost cuz I always see people having to use their finger tips on Pre videos.

I thought I had more questions, but that's all I can think of for now. Thanks much for any help.

Dan
    you truly ARE wally!!!! lol...

best way to stop the questions is to ask even more ...
    Dilbert approves this post.

"Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    You just made my day!
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    I came very close to switching to the Pre because of webOS Doctor. The iPhone doesn't have anything like it. With the cost of healthcare what it is, access to a doctor 24/7 is the killer feature.

Thanks for the post. Things get slow for tech this time of year and everyone goes a little batty. A little humor is just what the doctor ordered.
    Freaking hilarious! This thread gets the verwon seal of approval!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    With all of what you just said, seems tech and consumer electronics are moving backwards, right? I mean, really...i red not long ago about touchscreens being the filthiest part of the body (extention of body), maybe that's why you need to 'doctor' every now and then.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    Treo 750, Sprint Pre, WebOS napkin© "in coming months"
    to damn funny.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Hey don’t feel stupid; I had the same questions and more:

…and what about the moisture in clouds?; I’m afraid my data will get wet and short circuited.

…I’m on Sprint and they say 4D is gonna be way faster too.

…well that might be a stupid question…you drink a brew, you don’t eat it. I just want to know if we’re talking about tea or beer because I’m a coffee and whiskey man.

…I think I know this one. You see the Pre is black and sleek like a penguin suit. That’s right, Prewear (sp) is a tuxedo.

Since they’re taking so long to come out with new hardware, we need to patch up our Prewear.

I think we have to wait for webOS 2.O for the sound. The themes on my Pre only show the album art…I can’t wait because I never heard of most of this stuff.[/COLOR]

It’s worse than that for me, I don’t know about anyone else; I never even got a stylus.
    So like I said, don’t feel stupid. A great man once said, “…stupid is as stupid does.”’
    FrankenPre2!!!