Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Do you want a gaming future with buttons? We must fight!

By Ben Kuchera | Last updated November 1, 2010 1:04 PM

We live in a time when the Wii is starting to stumble on the sales charts. Sony is pushing what looks like a glowing ice cream cone instead of a next-generation system. Microsoft is investing hundreds of millions of dollars to promote the Kinect, which of course offers gaming with absolutely no buttons.

Has the world gone mad? Of course it has—these days everything is motion controls. Stand up and wave your arms around. Swing a controller instead of hitting a button. Who needs a steering wheel when you can just hold your arms out and pretend you're driving? The days of learning complex button combinations may be coming to an end, replaced by gamers flailing in front of their television.

One brave man named CheapyD is leading the fight against this dystopian, slightly thinner version of our hobby, and he has crafted these posters to show that he won't take it any more. When the noise from the Sony vs. Microsoft bickering is drowned out by the yawns of the gamers who don't care, at least on many gaming blogs, he may have a point.

Fans of Oprah and Ellen? Who knows what they think of all this.
    Last edited by sketch42; 11/02/2010 at 08:54 AM.
    I want both. It's how I make a living.
  3.    #3  
    fixed first post
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    The motion / button less controls are great for social / family oriented games and provide a great way to interact and have fun with other people while playing games. Its the one thing button controls lack because people become so focus on which button to press and in what order.

Motion controls give people the ability to use natural movements that they learned as kids and are familiar with to control games of similar activities.

Button controls will be around for a very long time due to the nature of high action FPS style gaming and games that demand twitch style button combos, reaction time etc.

There is room for both styles in the market and motion controls are bringing more people who generally do not buy games into the gaming scene. Which is bringing gaming to a more social excepted level than it was years ago when if you spoke of being a gamer around non gamers your were considered a nerd, parents basement dweller, no lifer etc etc..

The day the next big FPS releases with a full motion controlled battle rifle and a flak jacket that mimic grenades being pulled from it and being tossed, health packs used, knifing cause we all know you run faster with a knife, weapons switching etc etc etc etc be worried until enjoy what ever control style you like.
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    A new next gen system? Really? Its been 4 years. Sony stated before the launch that the PS3 life cycle was some where around 10 years. Plus games now are still not taking full advantage of the power of the PS3. Hell even GT5 is only using 80% processing power.. and have you seen those screenshots and videos? Insane! If they were to release a new system in the next 2 years I wouldnt buy it. There is still way, way to much left in the PS3 to even consider a making a new console.

On the subject of the Move. I think its going to be a pretty sweet periphrial for the PS3. Once dev's really start cranking out some quality content the idea will take off. I actually bet you will be hard pressed to find either the Kinect of the Move come Christmas time.
    "I will go in this way, but I'll find my own way out." -DMB

Dear Lord,
    Please grant me the ability to punch people in the face over standard TCP/IP.
    Amen.
    we don't have to fight for gaming with buttons. They aren't going anywhere. On the PS3 and XBOX, the best selling games will continue to be those that are played best on a controllers. There's nothing wrong with having traditional controllers and motion controls.
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 11/02/2010 at 12:32 PM.
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    Yeah that's just crazy, it is two different styles of gaming. My wife absolutely positively will not touch a controller but I'm getting kinect for the simple fact her and my 3 kids will absolutely have a blast with it. Me and my kids already get our xbox on all the time so getting my wife involved will make it a family event. I think that is going to be awesome. Also moving through the menus and watching espn and netflix is going to be a great experience without using a controller.
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Traxion View Post
    A new next gen system? Really? Its been 4 years. Sony stated before the launch that the PS3 life cycle was some where around 10 years. Plus games now are still not taking full advantage of the power of the PS3. Hell even GT5 is only using 80% processing power.. and have you seen those screenshots and videos? Insane! If they were to release a new system in the next 2 years I wouldnt buy it. There is still way, way to much left in the PS3 to even consider a making a new console.

On the subject of the Move. I think its going to be a pretty sweet periphrial for the PS3. Once dev's really start cranking out some quality content the idea will take off. I actually bet you will be hard pressed to find either the Kinect of the Move come Christmas time.
    the kinect system is already sold out at best buy and amazon. They stopped taking pre-orders two days ago. Or atleast that's what I read, I haven't actually tried ordering one, so yeah move and kinect are going to be real tough to find around christmas. You know how they under produce units for christmas every year. There should be absolutely no reason why these things should be so hard to find for christmas, but that's the way it always is. I guess it most be some type of business technique or something.
    Do you want to play Air Guitar? Or do you want to grab a real guitar and feel what you are really doing? Just saying....

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
    Do you want to play Air Guitar? Or do you want to grab a real guitar and feel what you are really doing? Just saying....

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using [url= Beta[/url]
    no games like that should never change. It's a whole different genre of games. I mean look at sonic free riders. That game would be getting horrible reviews, but with kinect it actually gets decent reviews because it's the type of game that takes advantage of what kinect offers. Also there is nothing that says you can't hold a prop. I mean you don't have to, but if you wanted to. Just saying it's not for the hardcore gamer, it's for the fam and those that don't take gaming so serious and if you had a family you would understand, or atleast should if you do have a family. My kids go nuts everytime they see kinectimals. Like I said before it just opens up a different experience and it doesn't affect the harcore games that I also love at all. Except it might through a few gestures in or something, you never know.
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Yes, because a Rockband guitar is so much like the real thing?
    Search Rockband 3 Pro mode.

Dear Lord,
    Amen.
    LOL - hadn't seen that one yet (ouch in NDA ways I can't get into ).
    Although I don't expect it to be cheap or sold in great numbers...

Quote Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
    Do you want to play Air Guitar? Or do you want to grab a real guitar and feel what you are really doing? Just saying....[/i]
    Then analogously; would you like to push a button to wave your arm or actually wave your arm and feel what you are really doing?

Oh, my point is both have merit of course. I want both control technologies.
    The more, the better. I'm not one of those NDS or Wii/PSP or PS3 gamers.
    I want them all.
    This post is just so outrageous. The market for games that use controllers dwarfs the market for motion only games. Sure the wii is successful, and MS and Sony are trying to steal it's thunder, but there are no signs that developers want to abandon traditional gaming... there is still so much money to be made in it.
    Well the Kinect defiantly went overboard, but the Wii showed that you can have hardcore games use a little bit of motion control and really improve because of it. But I mean, you'll always have game producers who try to hit the kiddy-family-impulse buy market. Alot of those don't technically mean death to real games, or that there would be more if the family-games never were.
    I am what you would call a gamer and the motion controls are spit on by any real gamer. You will never see a gamer playing wii or playstation move or kinect. It doesnt react fast enough its not accurate and we dont want to be jumping around our rooms at 4am. These motion controls are directed at the non-hardcore players and the non-hardcore games. The control will never go away. Even when they tried adding simple shake your control to melee in the call of duty series we all disabled it in favor of the button and they removed it in the next series. If you go in a call of duty room they will rip you apart if you say anything about a wii or a motion control.

I had a wii and sold it on ebay. Families and kids play it because they have fun watching each other jump around like idiots and fail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Traxion View Post
    Search Rockband 3 Pro mode.
    And Rise of the SixString.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwood212 View Post
    I am what you would call a gamer and the motion controls are spit on by any real gamer. You will never see a gamer playing wii or playstation move or kinect. It doesnt react fast enough its not accurate and we dont want to be jumping around our rooms at 4am. These motion controls are directed at the non-hardcore players and the non-hardcore games. The control will never go away. Even when they tried adding simple shake your control to melee in the call of duty series we all disabled it in favor of the button and they removed it in the next series. If you go in a call of duty room they will rip you apart if you say anything about a wii or a motion control.

I had a wii and sold it on ebay. Families and kids play it because they have fun watching each other jump around like idiots and fail.
    If you're going toward that extreme, sorry to break this to you but the real "hardcore gamers" are all PC gamers. Keyboards and mice offer far superior control to a Wii/PS/Xbox controller. Eventually motion controls will be perfected enough for console players to be able to compete with PC players but it's not there yet.
    Last edited by Orion Antares; 11/02/2010 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Added punctuation to be less offensive to non-hardcore gamers. ^_^
    'real gamers' 'real hardcore gamers'
    give me a break. There are two elements to gaming. Fun and competition. Different games meet those requirements for different people in different ways. accuracy provided by your control medium, nor does the type of game determine whether or not you're 'real'.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwood212 View Post
    we all disabled it in favor of the button and they removed it in the next series. If you go in a call of duty room they will rip you apart if you say anything about a wii or a motion control.

"We all", and then "they".

Regardless of all the tough talk, hardcore gamers are not an elite group, and families Wii jumping around the room are not a bunch of morons.
    (well, they are of course, but they generate a lot of revenue)
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    If you're going toward that extreme, sorry to break this to you but the real "hardcore gamers" are all PC gamers. Keyboards and mice offer far superior control to a Wii/PS/Xbox controller. Eventually motion controls will be perfected enough for console players to be able to compete with PC players but it's not there yet.
    No.

SplitFish FragFX: Mouse Controller for PS3

Dear Lord,
    Amen.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast