1.    #1  
    According to Engadget, the networks have blocked their content from being streamed to GTV, reducing its functionality to little more than a Netflix player, and an awkward way to search for things you can't actually watch.

Anyone still wandering why Apple doesn't allow apps to be sent to TV via AirPlay? As I suspected from the beginning, the networks would just find a way to block the content. They would shut off Hulu and pull all their content from iTunes before letting customers have a viable option to cutting their cable TV subscriptions. This is just another example of how Google doesn't think things all the way through.

It shows one of the differences between Google and Apple. Google does not sell a complete solution for anything. They offer an "open" platform that relies on disparate groups to come along and finnish based on their own individual motives. Google could care less about things like consistency of experience, or interoperability. They expect you to hack up your own solution.

TV, on the other hand, is a product that is as complete a solution available to us at this time. Apple didn't just build a box and leave it to the consumers to find a way to get content on it. They negotiated with the networks, put together a convenient store, and provided the best complete solution they could. Google only pretended to have a better solution. They expect their users to root the boxes and go rogue on the networks.

Too bad, though. In the end, there is still no end-around the cable networks. That is what we all want, and I suspect most of us don't care who provides it. So far, no one has, or can. I am not interested in the GTV or the TV until someone finds a way to disintermediate the networks.

I must admit that I am a little upset with Google for putting this thing out there with the promise of being able to stream shows from the net without consulting with the networks. That just seems a bit irresponsible.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    According to Engadget, the networks have blocked their content from being streamed to GTV, reducing its functionality to little more than a Netflix player, and an awkward way to search for things you can't actually watch.

Anyone still wandering why Apple doesn't allow apps to be sent to TV via AirPlay? As I suspected from the beginning, the networks would just find a way to block the content. They would shut off Hulu and pull all their content from iTunes before letting customers have a viable option to cutting their cable TV subscriptions. This is just another example of how Google doesn't think things all the way through.

It shows one of the differences between Google and Apple. Google does not sell a complete solution for anything. They offer an "open" platform that relies on disparate groups to come along and finnish based on their own individual motives. Google could care less about things like consistency of experience, or interoperability. They expect you to hack up your own solution.

TV, on the other hand, is a product that is as complete a solution available to us at this time. Apple didn't just build a box and leave it to the consumers to find a way to get content on it. They negotiated with the networks, put together a convenient store, and provided the best complete solution they could. Google only pretended to have a better solution. They expect their users to root the boxes and go rogue on the networks.

Too bad, though. In the end, there is still no end-around the cable networks. That is what we all want, and I suspect most of us don't care who provides it. So far, no one has, or can. I am not interested in the GTV or the TV until someone finds a way to disintermediate the networks.

I must admit that I am a little upset with Google for putting this thing out there with the promise of being able to stream shows from the net without consulting with the networks. That just seems a bit irresponsible.
    You can have Hulu Plus on your TV, it's called Ruku box ($99) and it comes with a lot of content u can stream. Plus, you have 1080p on it. But I don't understand why the networks would block GTV, unless the cable companies are afraid of loosing money. But it really doesn't make too much sense cuz they make money from their web sites being viewed (makes sense maybe on Hulu, not sure who gets the money there). Oh well, though.
  3.    #3  
    I wouldn't count on Roku being immune to network stupidity as well. The networks probably haven't heard of Roku yet. They have block net content on set-top boxes from the beginning. This is not new for them. Also remember, Hulu+ is a paid subscription. They make money on that.

Google is now in negotiations with the networks. This will probably end up with Google offering piles of cash to the networks for every box sold. Or, it could end up as a premium service with an additional fee to end users, which is what the networks are reportedly wanting.

The reason they want to block this sort of thing is that TV advertising is worth a whole lot more money for them than internet advertising. The dollars are not even close to the same. For them, it is trading analogue dollars for digital dimes. Until advertisers start paying more for net adverts, or less for TV adverts, this type of box is never going to fly, no matter who makes it.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    As I understand it, normal Hulu "Lite" will not be available on the Roku. Only Hulu Plus will be on the Roku and that's why they are able to get the content. I believe it's $9.99/month for Hulu Plus.

There are also a few different versions of the Roku box now, I believe starting at $59 for the most basic (non-HD) version.
    Google is in (serious negotiations" to rectify this problem (probably fee-based).

My Themes:CLICK HERE
  6.    #6  
    Check out this review. It seems the GTV would have died a bad death anyway.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Well you clearly aren't a Cablevision customer...
    I doubt this means the death of this. But things don't look good for the future. I am sure if Google rly wants to continue such a device they can get someone to make it for them correctly like they did moving their phones with the Nexus One.

Google TV is something I am interested in but the original devs here are making the device overpriced.

The current function isn't Googles fault. Way too many factors and greedy companies/ppl standing in the way of this working correctly to benefit the consumer.

Not understanding the position of ppl like hulu and all the other streaming sites...you can pretty much hook a 50" tv to your laptop and stream it with no problem but you can't have a stand alone box hooked to your tv with the same functionality doing this for you.

The functionality of those having a box that hooks to their tv that they can on the go use a quick Google search seems to me to be very beneficial to Google.

They might continue with this or they could let it die like the many other projects they let die. But tbh this seems like it could mean big bucks for them and they might make a cheap little addon for consumers to at least be able to do quick searchs for something they see or feel like searching for when they are away from the computer.

Edit: This isn't only Google also having issues with these type of products...Boxee, Roku, etc. All run into these issues. It sucks for those waiting for an all in one box.
    Last edited by Cheeko318; 10/29/2010 at 12:14 PM.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheeko318 View Post
    The current function isn't Googles fault. Way too many factors and greedy companies/ppl standing in the way of this working correctly to benefit the consumer.
    No sir. It is very much Google's fault. Not having access to content is not their fault; releasing the box without such functionality, while making consumers believe it was available is absolutely their fault.

Apple realized this and shipped a product that was designed for the functions they could guarantee. Google shipped a hodgepodge of kludge that doesn't work particularly well together. I just read the Engadget review. Check it out.

Also, if a person is going to have to have a full keyboard and mouse interface to watch their TV, they will already have, or be better off having a media centric computer hooked up to their TV. GTV does not remove any of the complexity or expense of such a system. Holliday purchase for the average Josephine, the GTV most certainly is not.
    No sir. It is very much Google's fault. Not having access to content is not their fault; releasing the box without such functionality, while making consumers believe it was available is absolutely their fault.

Apple realized this and shipped a product that was designed for the functions they could guarantee. Google shipped a hodgepodge of kludge that doesn't work particularly well together. I just read the Engadget review. Check it out.

Also, if a person is going to have to have a full keyboard and mouse interface to watch their TV, they will already have, or be better off having a media centric computer hooked up to their TV. GTV does not remove any of the complexity or expense of such a system. Holliday purchase for the average Josephine, the GTV most certainly is not.
    Its the gift and curse of open source...Google tv could absolutely be great with added apps and market access next year.

You are possibly right about it not being the greatest solution ATM...but this is a baby stage of a device. Apple TV already failed once so it was semi easy for them to correct whatever they failed at before. Then again that is also individual persons opinion whether they failed or succeeded here. To me Apple tv is fairly worthless.(So is Google TV atm)

However both platforms have room to grow. Apple will most certainly be more closed down just like their phones and if you enjoy that then its great. Google tv could grow to be so much more and I am hoping that it will be.

IF Google does not give up on this like they do on soooo many other projects I can see this being great for the "average Josephine". Just like their phone system has grown from a Niche group of enthusiasts to now Grandmas using their devices.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quite frankly I don't want Google anywhere near my TV anyway...I have Neilsen for that

Besides I would very surprised if the TV manufacturers just sat back and let Apple, Google, Ruko and co have all the fun. We are already seeing Netflix being integrated into Blu-Ray players, along with other services such as Amazon. Some TV's already provide this functionality also. How long before the TV guys wrap up all the services the streaming boxes provide into the TV itself? I'm betting not long.

If Apple really want a large piece of the streaming/digital downloading pie they are going to have to integrate fully - i.e. forget the small little puck. They need to build the Apple TV capability into a top quality Apple designed and branded no-holds-barred TV - then they will be able to sit back and collect their billions. People already have their cable/satellite boxes stuck between their TVs they don't want another box too - not yet anyway. Us geeks like this stuff but for the everyday consumer simplicity is key.

Given my view point - I agree, Google TV won't stand a chance unless the TV guys partner up with them big time and for a one-stop outlet for purchasing content.