Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I'm not in OT as much as I used to be, but I can tell you the family-ness has been here for quite a while, i.e. TreoCentral days. We had bang-up debates, but even then we had 'em together.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    I love my family here!
    Me too, it *is* very special. Llamas and turtles and all.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    Me too, it *is* very special. Llamas and turtles and all.
    ...and the greatest woman ever!

Now, where is Blaize, anyway?
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    ...and the greatest women ever.

where is Blaize?
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Hey, I asked where Blaize was?
    Great thread dbd! I've been a member of others over the years, but none have had the 'community' and family-feel of this one. The people here have been amazing and a lot of fun. There are some great senses of humor in here (excluding Pogey ) and even more big hearts! I love this community/family!

Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    Every time I try to spell "Phenomenomenon", I put in too many nomenon's...
    This cracked me up and for some reason I instantly thought of this song from when I was a kid...
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim View Post
    I'm not in OT as much as I used to be, but I can tell you the family-ness has been here for quite a while, i.e. VisorCentral days. We had bang-up debates, but even then we had 'em together.
    FYP
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Great thread dbd! I've been a member of others over the years, but none have had the 'community' and family-feel of this one. The people here have been amazing and a lot of fun. There are some great senses of humor in here (excluding Pogey ) and even more big hearts! I love this community/family!

This cracked me up and for some reason I instantly thought of this song from when I was a kid...
    [url= - Muppet Show - Mahna Mahna Original[/url]
    I have been trying to stay on the OT Posting wagon, but I still read along.

your username reminds me that i've always seen this community as less of a family and more like the characters on seinfeld. You can decide who maps to each character.

I just think we are family PLUS a bunch of quirky and funny aspects that defy definition. We are all about nothing while being all about the community.

it is very personal, but lets also remember the tireless effort of the homebrewers (mostly without pay), the efforts of the mods, the efforts to help with questions and phone problems, banding together to win those silly polls, and the occaisional viral effort like the fundraising 'telethon' and 'buy an app day'.

on every level this community is amazing.
    Wonderful thread - and wonderful question.

I drive a MINI Cooper and when we got our first MINI, we joined the Dallas club (Metroplex MINI if you're interested). Shortly after joining, someone posted about an accident that they'd seen occur. Within minutes of the accident. Literally the board went nuts. Who was it? Was it one of us? How are they?... Here was a crowd of folks literally praying for the health and welfare of someone that not only had they never met, they never knew their name (not even a screen name), the only connection, a quirky, funny little car with personality. Seeing this response, I was overwhelmed. We found out that the lady had died in this accident. Folks wanted to do something, I suggested flowers, then one thing led to another. Her obit requested donations for her grandkids. Here I was, had only been a member for about 2 weeks, and I took on the task. Got about $500 of pledges, went to our first meeting and folks gave me, someone they'd never seen before, tens & twentys and I sent it off to this trust fund that'd been setup. And in the card I sent with it, that I requested the trust manager forward to the family, I (we, really because the club worked it over) found the secret.

An author, Spider Robinson, writes a series of stories all relating to a bar called Callahan's. A mishmash of folks pass through the bar looking for some sort of answer, some finding it and staying, some just finding healing and moving on. But a central theme is centered on this quote. "Shared pain is lessened, shared joy is increased". For this lady and her family we told them, that while we'd never met her, we knew that MINI folks are joyous people. While we'd never been able to share her joy, we did share her family's pain and hoped that our sharing lessened their pain.

So you ask why is this a family. I know my answer. Spider Robinson discovered it for me. "Shared pain is lessened, shared joy is increased".

Maybe our pains are an oreo. Maybe our pain is 'Will Sprint carry the PRE2?'. Maybe our joy is 'I got my Pre on DAY 1!'. But when people are willing to share both pain and joy, whether it be over phone that dares to leap out of a box or a funny little car, the door is opened. May the sharing begin.
    Author of Exch-Calc, Dog Years, Cat Years and all future creations of Pre-zy Software. Available in the Application Catalog.
    Fantastic story, Ken! Seeing people band together like that really makes you feel good. It's amazing how tragedy can band strangers together (we all know many stories like this - 9/11 for instance). Tight online communities like this are out there... they are few and far between, but they are there. I'm very happy to be part of one of them.

On a side note.... perhaps using the quote "Maybe our pains are an oreo" may be the best the analogy ever for a Palm Pre forum (we've all had oreo pains)!!

Again - great story!
    sorry too damn sweet an cuddly for me.. but thats cuz im old mean an nasty.. with a fire truck an tanker full of ice cold water.. now,, who wants some??
    Life is short, Play hard, and enjoy every moment as if it was your last.
    phenomenomnomenom no matter how hard I try I always have a hard time sayin this word for sure . Never mind writing it out .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Nice topic db...it does feel like a family over here. =)
    Global Posts
    330 Global Posts
    I thought this was about the John Travolta movie. oh well. this is an amazing group of people. I love that when one of us goes missing for a while, we all check with each other to see if the missing has been around.

also, you have all kept me company on the rapid, bus, at work (there's nothing else to do there), and just on random nights. There are times that I prefer the company of lunatics over the company of the sane. VIVA LA ASYLUM !!
    Quote Originally Posted by xForsaken View Post
    sorry too damn sweet an cuddly for me.. but thats cuz im old mean an nasty.. with a fire truck an tanker full of ice cold water.. now,, who wants some??
    Chill them all out, I don't do sweet and cuddly!
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    Chill them all out, I don't do sweet and cuddly!

( backs fire truck up, hooks up hose to hydrant, pours in 2 tonnes of shale ice, and aims the 5 inch hose at the Phenomenon thread people, and turns on the tap) hehehehhehehhe
    I am here to serve oh mistress Verwon.
    Life is short, Play hard, and enjoy every moment as if it was your last.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post

OK, so it is not just me that is reminded of that song by that word.

When I moved to Chicago, I took a day off work to play downtown and that song was stuck in my head the whole time because someone on the bus was singing it to them selves.... and now it is stuck in my head again. Thanks!
    Dang it just got cold in here....
    Quote Originally Posted by noco37 View Post
    OK, so it is not just me that is reminded of that song by that word.

When I moved to Chicago, I took a day off work to play downtown and that song was stuck in my head the whole time because someone on the bus was singing it to them selves.... and now it is stuck in my head again. Thanks!
    Hahaha... I've actually been singing that dang song all day today! LOLOL
    Quote Originally Posted by rlangley21 View Post
    Dang it just got cold in here....
    Then it's time for a campfire and smores. The world is better now.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast