1.    #1  
    My wife already has a Blackberry from work, and she's been carrying around one of those simple dumbphones as her personal phone. She now wants to upgrade her dumbphone to one with a keyboard for texting. God help me.

We're on Verizon, and it looks like her upgrade options in that category include the following:

Samsung Intensity™ II
    Pantech Jest™
    LG Cosmos™
    Verizon Wireless Salute™

I know about smartphones, but I don't know a thing about these phones. Any opinions on them?
    smartphones are great, but vzw reqjires a 30 dollar data plan.

if she can make use of that the pixi and pre are excellent phones. And we just heard that the pre2 is coming to vzw soon.
  3.    #3  
    None of those phones I listed are smartphones.
    sorry, being that this is a smartphone site I thought you were looking beyond those models.

from the list you provided I would only consider LG or Samsung. I've had poor experience with pantech and anything with a verizon private label (at the time they were just rebadged pantech anyway).

my daughter-in-law just got the intensity and really likes it. She is a heavy voice and text user. Very phone savy but with no interest in smartphone features. I will be considering that one for my wife when her dumphone renewal comes up in a few months.

I hope that helps.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smmullen View Post
    My wife already has a Blackberry from work, and she's been carrying around one of those simple dumbphones as her personal phone. She now wants to upgrade her dumbphone to one with a keyboard for texting. God help me.

We're on Verizon, and it looks like her upgrade options in that category include the following:

Samsung Intensity™ II
    Pantech Jest™
    LG Cosmos™
    Verizon Wireless Salute™

I know about smartphones, but I don't know a thing about these phones. Any opinions on them?
    Samsung Intesity - From what I've heard this a fairly decent messaging phone
    Pantech Jest - The newest of the ones listed, the only one that can take video out of what you listed. I would read the reviews on VZW's site.
    LG Cosmos - Stay away from this one. i know several people that have one and they have had nothing but problem.

Saulute - Does not appear to have a qwerty keyboard so this may not be the phone for your wife.

I would go with either the samsung or the pantech but I would spend some time reading user review for a a bit before you decide.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Here it is, good and bad ... The Intensity has a nice rubberized keyboard and solid construction, but a poor camera and a few software bugs. The Jest is very popular for its square shape, 2mp camera and video capabilities, but reviewers have said the navigation trackpad is temperamental and the phone has some lag. I've heard the Cosmos has great call quality, but when I picked it up in a store, it felt really cheaply made and has no music player. As the previous poster said the Salute is not QWERTY (and is getting bad reviews).

What I would consider in your situation: Wait to see if Verizon introduces tiered data this month. That way, you can get a smartphone with much better features, including Wi-Fi, and possibly get by with a $15 data plan. I think a Pixi would be ideal ... the keyboard and threaded messaging are really nice.
  7.    #7  
    thanks so much for all of the opinions. We're not inclined to get an additional data plan, so it looks like the Intensity might be the way to go.