Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    okay as some know I have had a horrible last week or two and one of them things is my comp crashed on me saturday night. I really believe it is a virus that isn't letting me boot properly. Anyway I learned of liveCD booting through linux. Well I have successfully got knoppix running as well as I believe it's called bitdefender. Problem is I have know idea about linux and how to install anything. I know there is clamav as well as t-prof I think and there is one that starts with a k. I just can't get knoppix to start clamav and bitdefender has it's own boot and I can't get a scan that feels right. I can only scan one folder at a time and I never get anything. I just wish I have malwarebytes or spybot but obviously I can't. Anyone who has experience with this please help me out I'm a college student and absolutely need my computer up and running. There is also a possibility of fixing with and xp boot disk but I don't have one and don't know where to get one or download one. Also there is a liveCD boot for windows that I would love then I could use the antivirus programs I'm used to. If you have experience in either it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks you.
    The first thing you should do is backing up your data e.g. on external disk/usb-drive.
    A friend of mine has sometimes the same problem and a chkdsk repairs it.
    Your problem may be something else, but I would try running a check disk on the start disc.
    I have a XP and a Vita BartPE life CD. if i find the time a probably can upload it somewhere later.

Edit: How is your kid?
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    The first thing you should do is backing up your data e.g. on external disk/usb-drive.
    A friend of mine has sometimes the same problem and a chkdsk repairs it.
    Your problem may be something else, but I would try running a check disk on the start disc.
    I have a XP and a Vita BartPE life CD. if i find the time a probably can upload it somewhere later.

Edit: How is your kid?
    all three of my kids have strep throat now and my youngest got out of the hospital yesterday. I completely forgot about running the disk check. Can I do this through knoppix? If so how and that would be completely awesome I read about the bartPE but since I don't have a boot disc I can't use bartPE. I know my hard drive isn't bad because when in knoppix I can navigate throug all my files without a problem. Thanks for posting I was beginning to think no one was goin to help me.
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    or is there a way to run the chkdisk without booting?
    Quote Originally Posted by jwinn35 View Post
    or is there a way to run the chkdisk without booting?
    No, if you can't boot the safe boot in XP you need to boot something else. I actually don't know how chkdsk works in knopix with NTFS what I assume is your filesystem. You may find something on the net. Older versions couldn't work well with NTFS.
    Are you able to burn an iso file do CD?
    You can boot with the windows xp cd and choose the recover option, or boot into a recent linux distro and use some disk checking tool.

Ubuntu comes with a "Disk Utility" (under system - administration), with this you can do a disk check, but only basic, equivalent to the windows chkdsk.

If you prefer to use the command line, there's ****.ntfs

But if you don't know what you're getting into, you should really just boot into linux to backup your info to an external drive, reinstall windows, and restore your data
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    http://www.ubcd4win.com/ i use this and it's perfect... it also gives you a chance to update all malware programs before you burn the CD. I have cleaned PC's that won't let you get into safe mode and cover the screen with "buy this antivirus" to clean this up.

works great for me, i might have an .iso floating around.. let me know
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    No, if you can't boot the safe boot in XP you need to boot something else. I actually don't know how chkdsk works in knopix with NTFS what I assume is your filesystem. You may find something on the net. Older versions couldn't work well with NTFS.
    yeah linux is the only booting I can do so that's why a windows liveCD would be awesome so that would boot windows and I could use my chkdsk and virus programs.
    Quote Originally Posted by jwinn35 View Post
    yeah linux is the only booting I can do so that's why a windows liveCD would be awesome so that would boot windows and I could use my chkdsk and virus programs.
    Assuming you can burn an iso with a different pc I'm uploading the vistaPE to rapidshare atm. Needs 1 hour (my upload is not so perfect).
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    lol awesome yeah my wife has a laptop which is where I got the knoppix and bitdefend images burnt so it shouldn't be a problem thank you so much

also real quick does it matter if I have professional? I don't want you to go throug the whole thing for nothing?
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    [url]http://m.forums.precentral.net/ i use this and it's perfect... it also gives you a chance to update all malware programs before you burn the CD. I have cleaned PC's that won't let you get into safe mode and cover the screen with "buy this antivirus" to clean this up.

works great for me, i might have an .iso floating around.. let me know
    alright great I'll check this out. Sorry but I'm on my phone and just realized you even posted this.