Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Please post in this thread on specified day ONLY.

I will pick a topic for each day as the days arrive.

YOU will discuss it.

TOPIC WILL CHANGE EACH WEEK, ON THIS DAY, UNLESS THERE IS A GOOD CONVERSATION IN PROGRESS.
    Last edited by dbdoinit; 10/15/2010 at 10:24 AM.
    Well what is the topic?
    salamanders friend or foe?
  4.    #4  
    Today's topic:

Is there room for a third major political party (i.e. the Tea Party or something else)?
    Yes...most other industrialized nations are doing it with good results (that is as many parties as desired/politically feasible)
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 10/15/2010 at 09:47 AM.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    I say let there be a 40 party system.... or even a 400 party system. Let people be themselves and not have to conform to a single party that they may not entirely agree with.

A third party won't solve it because the people who don't feel at home with D or R might also not particularly like being lumped together with a T by their name.

Feel free to attack this.... just remember it's Friday.... be happy.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    Oddly enough, I was discussing this on Thursday....

Global Posts
    330 Global Posts
    today kicks off Beer Week in Cleveland. A celebration of microbrews. What is your favorite local brew?
    Oops... Missed the posed topic.. need coffee
    Quote Originally Posted by dbdoinit View Post
    Today's topic:

Is there room for a third major political party (i.e. the Tea Party or something else)?
    Quote Originally Posted by Erckul View Post
    today kicks off Beer Week in Cleveland. A celebration of microbrews. What is your favorite local brew?
    Danny created the thread and the topic already.

11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    Danny created the thread and the topic already.
    [Thanks ]
    3rd or more party? anything is possible, but it will take lots of cash and time, maybe it could be up and running by '16 prez election, but not sooner. Setting up organizations in all 57 states would also be needed.

As far as Tea Party goes, there is not one central organization, but various national and regional organizations. They would need to merge together into a centralized party, or restart as one organization in order to be a viable national 3rd party.
    I see pandas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Erckul View Post
    New Glaris 'Totally Naked' or 'Spotted Cow'. Awesome microbrews!

... I'd rather talk about that than yet another political thread.

--Sent using Tap@Talk for webOS
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 10/15/2010 at 10:35 AM.
    Since this is the Friday thread, maybe we could have 2 subjects: BEER plus Dan's topic? =P

Madhouse: Crazy Good Beer
    I see pandas.
    Global Posts
    330 Global Posts
    oops. I didn't read closely enough. Apologies to Danny and the crew
    The problem I foresee with having a third (or more) major political party is that the country would become even more fractured than it already is.

Consider adding another major political party akin to the fragmented Android market. (Sorry db - had to get a dig in about Android since you'll be rocking the Evo soon )

With 3 or more political parties, a clear majority would rarely occur. That means decisions, bills, appropriations, etc, could be made by votes totalling 40-30-30. In essence 60% would be against it, but the 40% would win and implement their ideology on the majority who was against it.

This would be more chaotic than what we already have.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by rlangley21
    With 3 or more political parties, a clear majority would rarely occur. That means decisions, bills, appropriations, etc, could be made by votes totalling 40-30-30. In essence 60% would be against it, but the 40% would win and implement their ideology on the majority who was against it.
    This is an EXCELLENT point.
    The majority vote would win, but the ACTUAL majority (whether it be for candidates or bills) would lose.

VERY GOOD POINT.
    Instead of clear majority, I should have written 50% + 1...but the point remains the same.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    No matter. A three party system will only slightly improve things, if at all. The game will just be which of the two larger parties can successfully court (aka horse trade) with the one smallest of the three. We actually have that now, though it's not a formal party. It's called the independants or moderates. They've always been the key to getting laws passed, and that will continue no matter how you formally slice and dice party names and affiliations.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dbdoinit View Post
    Today's topic:

Waiting patiently for a Newt Gingrich joke
    There are four lights.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast