Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    They can be used to prove anything.

For instance, take these hard (if little-known) facts:

Rene Russo and Sandra Rosselini are first cousins and actually share the same last name; both of their stage names are either contractions or modifications of "Russolini" which for obvious reasons neither considered suitable for an international career.

Burger King was originally founded in 1645 by Dutch settlers in Nieuw Amsterdam (now New York). Its original name was "Burgher Koning", which loosely translates into "citizen king" and in the idiom of the day basically meant 'the customer is king'. Hamburgers were not served then as they were only invented 87 years later when America experienced a great influx of German settlers from the city of Hamburg, but they did sell a Gehaktbal, the dutch version of a meatball, in a bun with tomaatsaus for 1 guilder.

Jeff Hawkins had the original idea for a Palm computer when he was lying at the beach and narrowly avoided being hit by a coconut falling from a Palm tree. As he later described it, his first association was Isaac Newton, his second association the Apple Newton, and his next thought "I really have to tell my friends about this!".
    This is why Hawkins' original logo idea sketched on a napkin the same night featured a Palm tree with a dented coconut hanging from it. That idea was however scrapped by the team of graphic designers hired to create a corporate identity for Palm - they based the eventual logo on another idea, pitched by Donna Dubinsky (one of the world's leading collectors of historical abacuses), famously rejecting Hawkins' idea because "we really can't see a plant-based logo take off".

Do you know any?
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    They can be used to prove anything.

For instance, take these hard (if little-known) facts:

Jeff Hawkins had the original idea for a Palm computer when he was lying at the beach and narrowly avoided being hit by a coconut falling from a Palm tree. As he later described it, his first association was Isaac Newton, his second association the Apple Newton, and his next thought "I really have to tell my friends about this!".
    This is why Hawkins' original logo idea sketched on a napkin the same night featured a Palm tree with a dented coconut hanging from it. That idea was however scrapped by the team of graphic designers hired to create a corporate identity for Palm - they based the eventual logo on another idea, pitched by Donna Dubinsky (one of the world's leading collectors of historical abacuses), famously rejecting Hawkins' idea because "we really can't see a plant-based logo take off".

Do you know any?
    sounds like doc brown and the flux capacitor, except there it wasnt a coconut
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Chuck Norris was born Carlos Ray.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    The word "queue" is the only word in the English language that is still pronounced the same way when the last four letters are removed.
    Damn you and your queue hate! ;-)
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Did you know?

President Obama is, in fact, not Muslim.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    test this one out on friends and family!!

Like fingerprints, everyone's tongue print is different!
    An ostrich's eye is bigger than its brain
    damn
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    The word "queue" is the only word in the English language that is still pronounced the same way when the last four letters are removed.
    But, if you remove the last four letters, it's not a "word" anymore. Just the "letter" q.

Oh so busted! What now batman!?
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    A

is also a letter and a word
    nothing rhymes with orange
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    nothing rhymes with orange
    Are there any words that rhyme with orange?

Orange has almost no perfect rhymes. The only word in the 20-volume historical Oxford English Dictionary that rhymes with orange is sporange, a very rare alternative form of sporangium (a botanical term for a part of a fern or similar plant). Silver is another word for which it is almost impossible to find a perfect rhyme: the only candidate is the rare word chilver, which the 20-volume Oxford English Dictionary defines as 'a ewe-lamb' (i.e. a female lamb). Both orange and silver do have half-rhymes, though: the Oxford Rhyming Dictionary gives lozenge as a half-rhyme for orange, for example, and salver as a half-rhyme for silver.

What's the difference between a full rhyme and a half-rhyme? A full and stressed rhyme (e.g. hand / stand) or even an unstressed rhyme (such as handing / standing) contain vowels that are common to both words, while a half-rhyme like orange / lozenge or silver / salver has obvious differences between the vowels in certain syllables. The technical term for a half-rhyme is 'pararhyme'.
    Are there any words that rhyme with orange? : Oxford Dictionaries Online
  13.    #13  
    Disclosure: all of my "facts" were pulled from my rectum in their entirety and have no bearing on anything that one may call reality (which was the idea of the thread)
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Disclosure: all of my "facts" were pulled from my rectum in their entirety and have no bearing on anything that one may call reality (which was the idea of the thread)
    as per the title of this thread sir...

that post is meaningless
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    as per the title of this thread sir...

that post is meaningless
    And that's a fact, Jack!
    the Partridge Family, neither a bird or a family... Discuss amongst yourselves...

(extra points if you know who that quote is from).
    the snl character that loved streisand
    Mike Myers Coffee Chat SNL?
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Mike Myers Coffee Chat SNL?
    its coffee talk
    which came first? Al Gore, or the chicken?

Al Gore of course, he invented the chicken.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast