View Poll Results: Under what circumstances would you give your 11-15 year old a cell phone

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • To carry, while they are out, but it comes back to me or goes in a special place, when at home

10 20.83%
  • It is for emergencies only, not to be tethered to their friends

7 14.58%
  • They will NOT be allowed to text, tweet, email and the like.

3 6.25%
  • They can carry/use it whenever/however they want, it's their phone.

23 47.92%
  • I don't believe in cell phones for under work/driving age kids

9 18.75%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Here's a town in Ohio that's trying to find out the merit of using smart phones in the classroom. See, I'm not crazy. Stowsentry.com - Stow third grade to try out mobile learning devices I have another one that I found too but I can't get to the link right now.
    Here's another one for ya. It's about schools that are reversing bans on gadgets and incorporating them into the classroom. Education Week's Digital Directions: Schools Open Doors to Students' Mobile Devices
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    You know... this wasn't a direction I wanted to take this thread in when I started it. BUT, since it IS here...

We want our children to understand that such behavior is not acceptable, I agree. But, it's NOT unforgivable either. Nor is the aftermath insurmountable.

My personal convictions, judgments and biases, regardless of their basis (religious, cultural, or secular), will never be as important to me as the continued health and welfare of my children.

In March 2009, Jessica Logan, age 18, committed suicide over taunting she received due to nude photos she had sent to her boyfriend, which he passed around when they broke up. This, and other more recent teen suicides prompted by cyber-bullying, and internet "outing" is a terrible reminder of how fragile our kids can be at their core, when faced with what feels like an insurmountable problem.

We can tell our kids "no sexting" or we will take away your phone. And this is a VERY good plan. But, we also have to be prepared to do some potentially very involved and supportive damage control if they make a mistake. Jessica Logan's mom only knew bits and pieces of what had happened, but never thought it would go down the path that it did.
    If somebody commits suicide over something as stupid as that, they had suicidal tendencies to begin with, plain and simple. A cell phone didn't cause it.

[i]-- Sent from my Palm PrPrPr
    Once they start getting stalked
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123