Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 30 of 30
  1. #21  
    Basically, Google has a whole list of words that if you start typing them, the results screen blanks and you have to press enter anyway in order to perform the search. Some of it is because they're so intelligent, they apparently can't figure out how to bring their image filtering to instant search - and as such, terms they think lead to **** or that they think will lead to offensive results don't show up. A few of these terms unfortunately encompass various ethnicities and sexual orientations. You have to press enter to search for these terms, which I suppose searches differently (even with SafeSearch OFF) because typing them doesn't really lead to ****ography.

    I think it's FOS and ridiculous, so I don't use it.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    Basically, Google has a whole list of words that if you start typing them, the results screen blanks and you have to press enter anyway in order to perform the search. Some of it is because they're so intelligent, they apparently can't figure out how to bring their image filtering to instant search - and as such, terms they think lead to **** or that they think will lead to offensive results don't show up. A few of these terms unfortunately encompass various ethnicities and sexual orientations. You have to press enter to search for these terms, which I suppose searches differently (even with SafeSearch OFF) because typing them doesn't really lead to ****ography.

    I think it's FOS and ridiculous, so I don't use it.
    http://www.2600.com/googleblacklist/
    If you're searching for any of these than somethings wrong



    --Sent using Tap@Talk for webOS
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    2600: Google Blacklist
    If you're searching for any of these than somethings wrong



    --Sent using Tap@Talk for webOS

    Not really, maybe you should take the time to read the whole list.

    adult
    amateur
    bicurious
    bisexual
    latina
    lesbian
    Any number of female celebrities who have had sex tapes released, but practically none of the male ones
    savage love (lbgt (sex)advice column)
    webcam

    (And the whole list of racist organizations Google did not see fit to blacklist. Marijuana is also blacklisted, idc, but given the recent bill coming up in California, it's rather hilarious).

    Not a large portion of the list (although others with different backgrounds would probably add quite a few terms and I could myself, but these are the most pressing), but I disagree with them being included and in the overall spectrum, Google deciding what's offensive and what's not in my Instant Search regardless of my safe search settings...I would just rather type and press enter and see on my own.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    Not really, maybe you should take the time to read the whole list.

    adult
    amateur
    bicurious
    bisexual
    latina
    lesbian
    Any number of female celebrities who have had sex tapes released, but practically none of the male ones
    savage love (lbgt (sex)advice column)
    webcam

    (And the whole list of racist organizations Google did not see fit to blacklist. Marijuana is also blacklisted, idc, but given the recent bill coming up in California, it's rather hilarious).

    Not a large portion of the list (although others with different backgrounds would probably add quite a few terms and I could myself, but these are the most pressing), but I disagree with them being included and in the overall spectrum, Google deciding what's offensive and what's not in my Instant Search regardless of my safe search settings...I would just rather type and press enter and see on my own.
    googles Blacklist is mostly developed based on "complaints" for instance type the word Je w in google and see what comes up.

    which brings to attn that google is paid by some celebrities to blacklist their names, like Pamela Anderson etc...

    Also note that Google has algorithms to stop google bombs.
    should they allow those "bombs"?
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    googles Blacklist is mostly developed based on "complaints" for instance type the word Je w in google and see what comes up.

    which brings to attn that google is paid by some celebrities to blacklist their names, like Pamela Anderson etc...

    Also note that Google has algorithms to stop google bombs.
    should they allow those "bombs"?
    Yes, I thought they were pretty funny (both the offensive ones and the anti-offensive ones), although that's largely because I thought it was hilarious that people found a way to use Google's Page Rank against it.

    I didn't know the second and as for the first point, obviously that's why Google did it. I just think Google needs to exercise better judgment regarding complaints as to whether they have merit...blacklisting sexual orientations, not a lot of merit there, sorry.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    Yes, I thought they were pretty funny (both the offensive ones and the anti-offensive ones), although that's largely because I thought it was hilarious that people found a way to use Google's Page Rank against it.

    I didn't know the second and as for the first point, obviously that's why Google did it. I just think Google needs to exercise better judgment regarding complaints as to whether they have merit...blacklisting sexual orientations, not a lot of merit there, sorry.
    again, blacklisting sexual orientations , why?

    if its for the same reason , that the content its leading to will offend gays, not do a service to them, than i say blacklist it
  7. #27  
    what am i missing here? maybe I'm on an old version of google but I don't seem to have any problems searching anything including marijuana....seems like I have all sorts of links for that both on PC and Pre.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    what am i missing here? maybe I'm on an old version of google but I don't seem to have any problems searching anything including marijuana....seems like I have all sorts of links for that both on PC and Pre.
    Google Blacklist - Words That Google Instant Doesn't Like

    meaning no suggestions will pop up
  9. #29  
    oh lol ok then. I've really never used suggestions in the past, usually I know what I'm looking for so I guess it really doesn't bother me that much.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    again, blacklisting sexual orientations , why?

    if its for the same reason , that the content its leading to will offend gays, not do a service to them, than i say blacklist it
    Ugh, have you ever pressed enter when googling orientations? They don't lead them to offensive searches. Now if Google Instant WOULD lead them there, then Google Instant needs to be modified instead of them simply "blacklisting" orientations.

    Further, why only some orientatations (or ethnicities)? No latina, but latino is allowed? No lesbian or bisexual, but gay and homosexual are okay? And if we're going to ban them because they're offensive, a quick Google Instant search of the word gay shows me that Google thinks I don't want to stop at gay, but continue on to Gaylord. And if I type gay and then press space, Google thinks I want to search for gay jokes (the forth result being gross gay jokes and the fifth being titled **** from Racist-Jokes.com!). And if we go further, we'll notice that the n-word is banned, but *** (starts with an f) is not (****** is, however).

    IN OTHER WORDS, Google's Instant Search is hilariously flawed and as such...not worth my use.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions