Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Be less crime if everyone owned a gun or two and knew how to use them!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  2.    #22  
    I need a beer after all this gun talk
    Better question, IMO: Is there value in standing armies still?
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  4.    #24  
    technology has not advanced to that point unless you consider nuclear warfare which is surely suicide. We will always need ground troops imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by switchedgear View Post
    technology has not advanced to that point unless you consider nuclear warfare which is surely suicide. We will always need ground troops imo.
    What is the likelihood that those ground troops would be where they were needed if there was an instance where they were needed?
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Chemical warfare is also an option if you're looking for a "kill everyone" approach and much easier to avoid the "suicidal" effects of nuclear warfare. The need for ground troops depends on the ultimate goal, the terrain, and the amount of restraint the people giving the orders want to show. Even then those troops are going to be better equipped and very likely better trained.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    What is the likelihood that those ground troops would be where they were needed if there was an instance where they were needed?
    Given the huge amount of enlisted I'm going to say pretty darn likely. Given the resources they have I can't see how it could take any more then a few hours to get guns on the ground in any US local....wether it's necessary to have such capability could be debatable...
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Given the huge amount of enlisted I'm going to say pretty darn likely.
    Define 'huge amount'. While we certainly spend a lot of money on the military, there are barely a million active duty personnel within the US.
    Given the resources they have I can't see how it could take any more then a few hours to get guns on the ground in any US local....
    I think you underestimate the logistics involved.
    wether it's necessary to have such capability could be debatable...
    Well, that was my point in bringing it up.
    <<post deleted>>

Reminder: argue the topic. refrain from insulting posts.
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    don't you pay attention to different books or video games. Modern warfare 2 for instance where russia invades the us. They don't just pull these things out of no where. They do their research and many of these hypothetical situations could very possibly happen. In switzerland any army invading would have to fight just about every last person in the country cause they are all military trained and sent home with an assault rifle when they are done with their training. Militias are relevant but just not implemented. Also in switzerland it is almost law that every male has a gun and there is virtually no gun crime there. Every man has a mandatory 30 year military career but they actually serve 1 year on average of active duty and basically militia men after that year.
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    <<post deleted>>

Reminder: argue the topic. refrain from insulting posts.
    Je réclame monsieur légitime défense, son poste a été plutôt rude, mais toujours là? ah oubliez ça, je dois juste apprendre quand je suis dans le feu des projecteurs il ya toujours un peu d'ennemis .........
    Last edited by switchedgear; 10/06/2010 at 08:17 AM.
  12.    #32  
    Thankyou, it does work if implemented properly.
    Quote Originally Posted by jwinn35 View Post
    don't you pay attention to different books or video games. Modern warfare 2 for instance where russia invades the us. They don't just pull these things out of no where. They do their research and many of these hypothetical situations could very possibly happen. In switzerland any army invading would have to fight just about every last person in the country cause they are all military trained and sent home with an assault rifle when they are done with their training. Militias are relevant but just not implemented. Also in switzerland it is almost law that every male has a gun and there is virtually no gun crime there. Every man has a mandatory 30 year military career but they actually serve 1 year on average of active duty and basically militia men after that year.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12