Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    OK somebody care to explain to an ignorant European what this rally is for. Obviously to restore sanity, but I guess that ship has sailed, so what political agenda is there?
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    OK somebody care to explain to an ignorant European what this rally is for. Obviously to restore sanity, but I guess that ship has sailed, so what political agenda is there?
    Thanks!
    It's to give voice to everyday people that aren't loud and overbearing, the people that actually can work and exist together while still disagreeing on fundemental principles. The REAL silent majority who are only silent because they don't scream their heads off.
    Like the 95% of people that form a relatively stable society whereas the obnoxious 5% gets all the press, making it seem as though we're in an awful place?
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Like the 95% of people that form a relatively stable society whereas the obnoxious 5% gets all the press, making it seem as though we're in an awful place?
    About like that.
    That's awesome. We should have that here. I live in a very hypable country where a large number of voters were very forcibly coerced into thinking we live in an awful place which is mostly due to foreigners and can only be solved by voting extreme right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    It's to give voice to everyday people that aren't loud and overbearing, the people that actually can work and exist together while still disagreeing on fundemental principles. The REAL silent majority who are only silent because they don't scream their heads off.
    well said.

It was really a wondrous event -- though like millions of others I heard hardly a thing from the stage because the speakers system did not extend beyond 7th street -- and the crowd was packed closer than sardines up to the monument.

For me for much of the day depending on where I was, unless I heard sound via a shotgun mic heard through headphones, the stage events were barely a whisper.

Yet despite this, people gathered, they stayed, they communicated, shared pumpkin biscuits (at least with me.)

Perhaps the organizers hadn't wanted to presume to have had a crowd as gargantuan as this -- and so did not position speakers and monitors nearly as far down the mall as was needed.

No doubt some folks left earlier than they would have -- frustrated at how little they could experience of the main events.

But the crowd was GIGANTIC -- I have been to dozens and dozens of demonstrations and rallies in Washington. Vietnam, Iraq, Beck -- nothing have I experienced compared to this one in the density and extent of the crowd. It was barely possible to breath or move in much of it.

Confoundingly, the news stories I so far have seen are reporting "Tens of Thousands" at the mall today -- apparently by reporters who got stuck in the porta-johns.

Ludicrous. The crowd was MASSIVE !!

Beck's crowd was big -- it was along both sides of the reflecting pool, and faded out on the sides and beyond the WW2 memorial.

Today’s crowd was far far larger -- there was no reflecting pool occupying the center, artificially boasting the crowd’s perceived volume.

Every inch of the mall today was covered with humanity.

Thankfully there was one moment of the show that (with the help of my mic and camera) I did get to experience in part -- one that literally left me involuntarily in tears.

It was when Jon Stewart introduced the singer formerly known as Cat Stevens -- to sing his song Peace Train.

A shiver went down my spine, my eyes began to well up even before he started to sing the first notes of his exquisite song.

How many in the crowd knew who he was ?? that he had once been one of the world’s biggest pop music stars -- that he had decades ago converted to Islam, and then had given away all his instruments and completely stopped performing his music.

(I’ve just now learned that he returned to performance a few years ago -- but when I heard him today I did not realize that he had hadn’t performed his great music before today.)

Even knowing this it was moving nevertheless -- and a sweet grace note on many levels.

Very glad I was there to witness what I saw.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Thanks for the enlightening dispatch.
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    if the rally is as big as you expect (and I hope), Metro may well have major delays.

If 200,000 all come to the Smithsonian/Mall station, there could well be too many on the platform still waiting to exit when the subsequent train arrives.

When that happens my understanding is that trains won't open their doors until space opens on the platform. This causes domino effect delays throughout the system as all following trains need to slow down and wait.

Giving yourself an extra 30-60 minutes for travel time might well be advised
    As I feared the DC Metro system collapsed under the deluge of people coming to the Sanity Rally.

Its been reported that Metro had 825,000 more riders than normal on Saturday.

This was FOUR TIMES the number of additional riders Metro experienced for the Beck rally.

Unlike the Beck event, The Sanity Rally was heavily attended by local DCers like myself. Tens of thousands of locals walked and biked (like me) to the event. They are not included in the Metro tally.

Many also drove, parking blocks from the mall and then walked.

The Huffington Post alone transported 10,000 by bus from NYC.

The Mall was packed with rally attendees Saturday -- to degree only comparable to Obama's Inaugural.

Despite this, The Washington Post, The NYTimes, and several broadcast news journalists reported crowd attendance late on Saturday "as in the tens of thousands".

Nowhere have I seen written that MOST of the crowd could neither hear or see anything of what transpired from the stage, as there was no sound system or video beyond 7th St. -- yet the crowd extended to the Washing Monument.

Yet for the most part, they stayed.

Extraordinary.

I would love to hear if anyone besides BARYE from the forum attended the rally, and what their experience was (Helen ??)

This article from the Washington Post describes in part what the nightmare that Metro was, to a degree that even surpassed my fears:

Did Metro fail Saturday?

...Riders everywhere reported packed platforms, long lines at fare vending machines and trains so full that no one at inner stations could board. A common solution -- ride a few stations up the line and board where trains are less crowded -- didn't work at all. The trains were packed at their departure points.

I always recommend Metro as a best bet for getting to a big event. Many people who experienced the Saturday service on their way to the Stewart-Colbert rally on the National Mall won't take that advice again...

Metro has plenty of experience planning for big events, and transit officials did what they've often done quite successfully. ...They were figuring on a crowd about the size of the one for the Glenn Beck rally on Aug. 28. That day, about 200,000 more trips were taken on Metrorail than on a typical summer Saturday.

There were many crowded stations and trains that day, but the system handled it. And that was on the west side of the Mall, near the Lincoln Memorial. There are just a few Metrorail stations within range. Basically, the options were Smithsonian, Foggy Bottom and Arlington Cemetery, all on the Orange and Blue lines.

The Stewart-Colbert rally was on the east side, near many more stations on all the lines. That should have eased the stress on the train system...

To say Metro didn't prepare isn't right. Based on its anticipation of a Beck-sized rally, the transit authority had 20 additional trains ready and eventually placed them in service throughout the system. Also, it had 31 administrative employees spread throughout the system to help first-time riders buy their fares and navigate the system.

To say Metro was overwhelmed, that would be more like it. That was no where near enough equipment or personnel to help the people who showed up. Metrorail wound up providing about 475,000 more trips than on a typical Saturday. (The local television news reported 825,000 extra trips)
    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    Not Staying there, staying at Comfort Inn BWI, just driving to Greenbelt and taking Metro from there, why? Is that not a good idea either? How bad IS it, to just take the train from?

Thanks, any help on the area, appreciated
    don't want to be an alarmist -- but since I was the one who said that there was nothing dangerous about Greenbelt, I feel it only appropriate to contact homeland security and have launched a full scale investigation as to your location and state of being

You have not made any posts to any forum since this one I've quoted !!

Were you trampled underfoot at the million moderate march?? Were you kidnapped by Tea-baggers in Greenbelt?? Have you left the country to train with al Qaida ??

a word or 2 will do ...
    Last edited by BARYE; 11/04/2010 at 03:25 PM.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Here's the culprits!

The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    Here's the culprits!

what are their ransom demands ??? Will they not release her until rich people have their millionaire's tax break carved in marble over the Capitol ??

Seriously -- has Diane been heard from by anyone ???
  12.    #72  
    HI Barrye et all!

Sorry, didnt mean to worrry ya . Just been busy since home, and just dealing with "stuff" I guess. But , Im fine

Ya, it was FREAKING AWESOME!

Greenbelt Metro was PACKED to beyond the gills at 9am, I was so glad I pre ordered fare cards

We had just the BEST BEST time, the crowds and the show were beyond amazing

here are my comments and pictures from it, if anyone is interested.

Rally to Restore Sanity - My Thoughts and Reflections

Thanks for checking tho ,
    I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234