Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #41  
    **groan** the attitude above is exactly why we NEED this rally, to show a united front that there are still some of us that can dissagree with each other, but stay sane and respectful

So, back to logistics.. How far and which Metro Lines are in the Alexandria Area? I recall teaching a class there a couple years ago , and stayed in a hotel that I think was right at a station?

Any suggestions of hotels there to look for?
    I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    **groan** the attitude above is exactly why we NEED this rally, to show a united front that there are still some of us that can dissagree with each other, but stay sane and respectful

So, back to logistics.. How far and which Metro Lines are in the Alexandria Area? I recall teaching a class there a couple years ago , and stayed in a hotel that I think was right at a station?

Any suggestions of hotels there to look for?
    there are a bunch of hotels near National Airport in Chrystal City/ Pentagon City -- hotels that are fairly near the Blue line -- as is parts of Alexandria. (easy to switch from yellow to blue lines).

But Virginia and suburban hotels are often not super close walking distances from metro if you're at all infirm.

When calling prospective hotels, ask how far you would need to walk to the metro from their door.

I still would prefer to be based in DC where the best restaurants etc are. You might reconsider the airbnb route, searching for a high end accommodation near metro...
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    When was the last time there was a left wing sponsored rally (which is what the stewart/colbert rally is) that was ever respectful? Just like the naacp/union/etc rally this weekend, the real nut jobs will show up.
  4.    #44  
    Thanks Barye, but I think in my old age, id feel more comfortable in a real hotel, with my privacy etc

back in the day, in my 30's and 40's even I may have been more adventurous like I was in my 20's (child of the 60s, camped on some alley in Georgetown during Viet nam march), but now as a bonified senior citizen,, with more money than I had when I was 20 heheh, Id rather be in a hotel.

I did call a few in Crystal city, ALL BOOKED UP!

I think Rockville is too far, maybe Alexadria I have to investigate. I am having a friend from Baltimore meet me, and may try to look up and old friend in Bethesda I have not talked to in a a few years , maybe for some ideas.

So far, the flights on SW are fairly decent... so hopefullly if I can get some reasonable accomodation and figure out logistics/ metro, etc I can put it together.

I am feeling more energized from this than I have for anything in a long time..
    I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JDAustin View Post
    Gregg Gutfield (of FNC's Red Eye aka the best show on Fox News) had a pretty good comment on this rally...
    Gregg is hysterical!!
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Good luck getting reasonable accommodations, Diane, and enjoy the rally!
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    I was thinking of going to "Keep Fear Alive" rally but I'm afraid of being murdered by roving bands of crackheads.
  8.    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    Good luck getting reasonable accommodations, Diane, and enjoy the rally!
    ok, its a done deal, I think I pieced together my best option.

Flying into BWI ($89) each way, friend in B'more picking me up,

Room reserved at Comfort Inn, BWI ($85)

Drive to New Carollton Metro Station (Orange Line), Park for the day, take Metro to Smithsonian, DONE!

Im psyched! Have not felt so energized since 1971 when I slept in an alley way in Georgetown, after the Anti War Viet Nam march (course I was 21 then, and in good shape.. , should be interesting to see how my old, aching 60 year old body handles THIS)!

mysanity.jpg

I Pre

Yay! Glad you got something worked out.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  10.    #50  
    Wow! Can hardly contain my excitement!!

199013 Attending , from Facebook alone, so far, or at least say they are.. and the age range is just amazing!!

Flight booked, hotel confirmed, chair ordered, being shipped to MD!

I feel like a hippie all over again.. lets just hope I dont BREAK a hip, this time around HAHAHAH

I Pre

Wow! Can hardly contain my excitement!!

199013 Attending , from Facebook alone, so far, or at least say they are.. and the age range is just amazing!!

Flight booked, hotel confirmed, chair ordered, being shipped to MD!

I feel like a hippie all over again.. lets just hope I dont BREAK a hip, this time around HAHAHAH
    if the rally is as big as you expect (and I hope), Metro may well have major delays.

If 200,000 all come to the Smithsonian/Mall station, there could well be too many on the platform still waiting to exit when the subsequent train arrives.

When that happens my understanding is that trains won't open their doors until space opens on the platform. This causes domino effect delays throughout the system as all following trains need to slow down and wait.

Giving yourself an extra 30-60 minutes for travel time might well be advised
  12.    #52  
    Well, my plans have altered a bit. I am now going INTO the the city from Greenbelt, which is the start of the Green Line, getting off at Archives, which is about a block or two away from the far end of the Rally. My concern is getting OUT at the end of the thing. Im looking into just calling a town car service, but not sure the best place to go to meet the car.

I Pre

Well, my plans have altered a bit. I am now going INTO the the city from Greenbelt, which is the start of the Green Line, getting off at Archives, which is about a block or two away from the far end of the Rally. My concern is getting OUT at the end of the thing. Im looking into just calling a town car service, but not sure the best place to go to meet the car.
    Oprah is sending her audience there

Oprah Winfrey sending 'Daily Show' audience to DC
    Fri Oct 15

NEW YORK It's less exotic than Australia, but still pretty good.

Oprah Winfrey surprised audience members at Comedy Central's "The Daily Show" on Thursday by saying she's sending them to Washington, D.C. this month. That's where host Jon Stewart is hosting his "Rally to Restore Sanity" in politics.

The daytime talk queen is famous for treating her audience to trips. Last month she gave people attending the first episode of her final season a trip Down Under.

She appeared via satellite Thursday on "The Daily Show" and told audience members to open red envelopes under their chairs.

Stewart planned the Oct. 30 rally shortly after Fox News Channel's Glenn Beck held one in Washington. Comedy Central's Stephen Colbert joked Thursday that his talk show host character would join Stewart and rename the event the "Rally to Restore Sanity And/Or Fear."

Going back to Archives to meet a car is likely fine -- you both will also know where it is

Oprah Winfrey sending 'Daily Show' audience to DC - Yahoo! News
    You dont want to stay in greenbelt not really a nice part of the DC metro area.
    "Brace yourself, you beautiful *****. I am about to **** you up with some truth!" - Kenny Powers

"I don't mind paying taxes. With taxes, I purchase civilization."
    - H.L. Mencken
  16.    #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by zulfaqar621 View Post
    You dont want to stay in greenbelt not really a nice part of the DC metro area.
    Not Staying there, staying at Comfort Inn BWI, just driving to Greenbelt and taking Metro from there, why? Is that not a good idea either? How bad IS it, to just take the train from?

Thanks, any help on the area, appreciated

I Pre

Not Staying there, staying at Comfort Inn BWI, just driving to Greenbelt and taking Metro from there, why? Is that not a good idea either? How bad IS it, to just take the train from?

Thanks, any help on the area, appreciated
    Its a block or 2 from the College Park REI store -- you should be fine. I've been to that station several times (with my bike) -- the area is slightly downmarket, but no biggie.
    Last edited by BARYE; 10/17/2010 at 10:16 AM.
    stopped by last night near sunset

the mall was electric and alive with anticipation -- there was maybe a thousand people milling around, looking at the setting, the stage -- which beautifully frames the capitol (literally).

There are dozens of giant LCD monitors, speaker towers -- hundreds of porta-johns line the side roads. TV production and satellite trucks crowd the inner parameter behind the stage.

First aid stations are set up in each of perhaps 10 subsections.

I listened as hundreds of volunteers began to receive their introductory briefing in a big tent behind the stage.

I don't know how or from where Jon Stewart is paying for all this -- but it has to have cost 500K to possibly as much as a million dollars. Maybe Jon is financing it himself, maybe wealthy friends and admirers like Bruce Springsteen and Gweneth Paltrow have helped -- I don't know.

I look around and see all the respectful hopeful faces glowing in the fading sunset of Washington's first cool nearly cold autumn night -- and my head spins recalling the title of a play from long ago: For (Those) Who Have Considered Suicide, When the Rainbow Is Enuf ...

I am infused with unspeakable ineffable dread -- despair flows through my chalk dead veins. I am, in my mind, in a Phnom Penh Cambodia bar 3-4 days before the Khmer Rouge arrive, in Kabul a night or so before come the Taliban.

We will party, see in each others eyes hope, belief in a better more intelligent, more embracing loving future -- then we will die. Afraid. Alone.

As in one of my favorite movies "12 Monkeys", it is an awful awful thing to know both more about the past and the future than others

An awful thing.
    for those going -- entrance to the rally is on 7th st, stage is toward 3rd

Archive/naval memorial metro is closest -- L'Enfant Plaza; Smithsonian metros are alternates -- but head east or west toward 7th st & the mall whichever metro you actually use

the morning temp might be chilly -- dress for 50's, hopefully it gets warmer (45 degrees is the reported 9:30 am temp)
    it is HUGE -- MAYBE THE BIGGEST RALLY EVER

weather warm beautiful -- 60's
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast