Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    It is usually cheaper to sleep at a place outside of DC and then take the Metro in. Rockville, MD. where my son lives has some very nice hotels, near the Metro stations. You'd then take the redline in to the orange for that Smithsonian Metro stop.
    Rockville is cheaper than staying on M street but it is not cheap. I live in Potomac which is almost a part of Rockville so I know. Also its about 40 minute train ride to the mall.

I would suggest staying in Alexandria, VA since you can easily hop on the orange or blue line and there are some very affordable places.

If you want to really cheap it out you can try the end of the redline and stay in Gaithersburg, MD but be prepared for a long ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by zulfaqar621 View Post
    I saw one of the bike racks off 14th street just the other day. I didnt seem that anyone was using them. If the weather is good, it would be a lot cheaper than and maybe faster than a cab in the city.
    They're just rolling out the system -- and there's not (yet?) been much promotion.

But the bike stations seem impressively dispersed -- and I have talked to a few folks happily riding them.

It seems like a truly awesome "get about town" for tourists -- though I'm surprised that there's only one bike station on the Mall ...
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Rockville is cheaper than staying on M street but it is not cheap. I live in Potomac which is almost a part of Rockville so I know. Also its about 40 minute train ride to the mall.

I would suggest staying in Alexandria, VA since you can easily hop on the orange or blue line and there are some very affordable places.

If you want to really cheap it out you can try the end of the redline and stay in Gaithersburg, MD but be prepared for a long ride.
    LOL! I didn't say it was cheap, just cheaper. When we went down for my now ex-husbands job interview for The Smithsonian, we stayed at the Gateway Best Western, double room, for $89. I paid the same rate with them when I was visiting my son.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Oh thats deep into Rockville, almost Gaithersburg. I was thinking more along the lines of on the border with Bethesda or Chevy Chase.

You got a pretty good deal.
    You may take it as nonsense... but he - Jon Steward - do have a point
    WebOS still makes sense.
    Oh thats deep into Rockville, almost Gaithersburg. I was thinking more along the lines of on the border with Bethesda or Chevy Chase.

You got a pretty good deal.
    Yeah, staying a little further out can save money. Of course, it wasn't cheap when we had to move there. LOL

While his dad was at his interview, I took our son to the Air&Space museum.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    I'm all for rallying to restore sanity! Hopefully they'll have a positive effect and help with the turnover of the status quo in Washington this November.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    I'm all for rallying to restore sanity! Hopefully they'll have a positive effect and help with the turnover of the status quo in Washington this November.

Yeah...let's get all those TBaggers in, right? That's your definition of sanity....
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    most folks will want to use the Smithsonian metro stop (on the Orange and Blue lines) -- which is on the Mall, and a short walk from the rally

Whats your lodging budget ?? How far from downtown are you willing to be ?? What is your lodging comfort level ??
    My budget is open, whats MOST important to ME, is the least amount of walking for my aching aged body...

Ive called a few right in the area, and out as far as Crystal City is all booked up.

My next thought is like out in MD on Blue or Orange line. But a few I have called there are booked.

I may have to keep getting furhter out, but options are open
    I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

If you try in Rockville at the Best Western I mentioned, they have a free shuttle to the Red Line Metro, you connect from it in D.C. To the orange for the Smithsonian stop. Not much walking necessary at all.
    Rockville Hotel | Best Western Plus Rockville Hotel & Suites | Rockville, Maryland

They have quite a few very nice hotels in the surrounding areas, I'd call and see what they have open and where.
    I've always had them be able to find me a room, at a great price, near a Metro for easy transportation.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    I'm going! Road trip! 10 hour drive from Ontario, Canada!
    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    My budget is open, whats MOST important to ME, is the least amount of walking for my aching aged body...

Ive called a few right in the area, and out as far as Crystal City is all booked up.

My next thought is like out in MD on Blue or Orange line. But a few I have called there are booked.

I may have to keep getting further out, but options are open
    if you want close up and affordable (and usually fun too), consider a "couch surf".

There will likely be a decent number of impromptu bedrooms and apartment rentals available downtown during that weekend.

Airbnb Search

Check the locations, dates, and prices. Most have a detailed description of the accommodation, and usually a "review".

(20009 is Dupont Circle -- a good base for a DC visit, and a simple trip to the Mall)
    I hope to go with my brother.
    I want to go, but sadly I'm only 17 and school and basketball has got my attention for a while. I also don't have any money.
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    I want to go, but sadly I'm only 17 and school and basketball has got my attention for a while. I also don't have any money.
    its a weekend -- and likely there are cheap/free buses being organized near you (great way to meet a girl ...)
    stewart is a left wing tool.. i wouldnt go near that rally!!! maybe they can photoshop some pics from glenn becks rally, like the last rally did. epic FAIL
    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    Was wondering if any of you are going, or thinking about going to Jon Stewarts , Rally in DC 10/30/10?
    While I heart Jon Stewart, I will be at City Park in NOLA on that weekend at a different sort of gathering.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Gregg Gutfield (of FNC's Red Eye aka the best show on Fox News) had a pretty good comment on this rally...

So last week Jon Stewart announced he was going to hold a rally of his own in Washington DC, to restore reason, sanity or whatever.

It's a cute idea- not as good as a gay bar next to a mosque - but it's an appropriate, hipster response to the tea parties and Glenn Beck's thing. It's the kind of thing that the bald nerdy guy in glasses from the New York Times subscription commercial might attend. And feel totally good about himself, afterward.

Which raises an interesting question: would Stewart have announced his event if those other events had a decidedly liberal tilt?

Short answer: no.

Long answer: noooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Which makes the jokiness of the stunt wear off fast. Think about it: what Stewart is doing is not speaking truth to power, but poking fun of the people who are speaking truth to power.

I mean - Stewart isn't going after politicians or leaders - he's mocking people who are standing up to politicians and leaders. While the tea party is a "bottom-up" phenomenon, Stewart is on top, looking down. His is a reaction from the establishment, not against.

Here's proof. Yesterday Democrats actually complained that Stewart's rally being too close to the elections will hurt the Democrat's chances. They worry their supporters will be more inclined to see Stewart than campaign.

Translation: Stewart will harm the establishment left, because he is the establishment left.

So that doesn't make Stewart brave. It makes him a toady.

But no surprise. This is what passes for rebellion in media - which is really just making fun of people in fanny packs who prefer Sarah Palin over Sarah Silverman.

I'm with them on the fanny packs, though. They suck.

And if you disagree with me, you're a racist homophobic islamophobic urophobe.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast