1.    #1  
    H all, FYI, Take care, Jay

Does new HP CEO know they own Palm?
    Robert Mullins, San Jose Gadgets ExaminerOctober 2nd, 2010 1:12 pm PT.

Does new HP CEO know they own Palm? - San Jose Gadgets | Examiner.com

Silicon Valley is getting to know Léo Apotheker, the new CEO of Palo Alto-based Hewlett-Packard. First off, his first name is pronounced LAY-oh rather than LEE-oh and Apotheker is pronounced AH-poe-THEK-er. He’s a native German. What we don’t know yet is what he plans to do with the parts of HP that aren’t devoted to enterprise IT hardware and software.

In his first public appearance Friday as CEO-designate (he officially starts Nov. 1), Apotheker spent most of his time on a 20-minute conference call with financial analysts talking about HP’s enterprise business in which it goes up against companies like IBM, Cisco, Oracle and Dell selling large computer systems and services to businesses. Having come from a 20-year stint at enterprise software company SAP, he brings a lot of expertise to help HP build its enterprise software business, which is only about 3 percent of sales.

But Apotheker spent no time on the call discussing HP’s consumer business including PCs, printers and mobile devices. He made only one passing reference to PCs and nothing on any other consumer products. He said he’ll spend his first few weeks meeting with key HP employees, customers and investors, but I hope he pokes his head in the door of the HP office where people are trying to decide what to do with Palm.

HP acquired Palm in April for $1.2 billion and was seen by many, including this writer, as Palm’s saviour. I’ve covered Palm for a decade and have owned several of its products including my current Palm Centro. They work fine but have fallen behind in innovation and in sales. Palm re-emerged in 2009 with the new webOS operating system and significant buzz around its new Palm Pre and Pixi smartphones. But the buzz was quickly drowned out by louder buzz about phones running Google’s Android OS and the ever-popular Apple iPhone.

With Palm in house, HP has the marketing and distribution muscle to move Pres and Pixies but also to leverage the very capable webOS into other devices like tablet PCs. PC Magazine’s Sascha Segan wrote yesterday about how former CEO Mark Hurd understood webOS’s value to HP.

“He talked about making WebOS a sort of backbone OS to tie all of HP's products and services together in the cloud,” Segan wrote. Of course, Hurd is history.

Does Mr. Apotheker know about Palm and the webOS asset? Can he be expected to bring his reported “passion for technology” to mobile technology?

HP has its desktop and laptop PC business and it’s number one in market share in the U.S. and globally, as of the second quarter of 2010. But PCs are commodity products and the real future is in mobile computing. As Internet access grows across the world, the device on which many people will first log onto the Internet going forward will be on a mobile device like a smartphone. And even for people who have PCs, as smartphones get smarter they may be leaving their laptops at home.

Apotheker comes from an enterprise software background at SAP, he knows that business, and HP will be well-served by his experience. But Palm and webOS are great assets for the company and I hope Mr. Apotheker gets a chance to find that out.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I hope he realizes how important is webOS for H/P to succeed, maybe get it incorporated in business softwares, so people instead of RIM buys HPalm products.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    He can't ignore the consumer side of the company since it brings in such a high amount of revenue. Hopefully he just needs to be briefed first before discussing that part of the company.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    I hope he realizes how important is webOS for H/P to succeed, maybe get it incorporated in business softwares, so people instead of RIM buys HPalm products.
    i think you mean how important hp is for webos to succeed. as important as webos is for hp in creating a uniform ecosystem across many devices, it is all part of their personal systems group.. just a minute part of hp when compared to their business oriented businesses.