View Poll Results: Why do we always see one side of the moon?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • The moon is stationary and only the Earth rotates.

    8 20.00%
  • It's an optical illusion, we see all sides.

    2 5.00%
  • The rotation time of the moon is the same as its orbit time around the Earth.

    29 72.50%
  • Not sure.

    1 2.50%
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1.    #1  
    I saw this exact poll on TheWeatherNetwork.com this morning and out of 42,000 replies, only 50% so far have got it right. Your turn
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  2. licotto's Avatar
    Posts
    471 Posts
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    #2  
    Personally, I don't think the answers make all that much sense -#3 seems convoluted so I went with #2. Then again, I have one of those 2%-of-the-population-would-think-that brains...
  3. #3  
    I pick number Three. Even though I'm not a Selenologist. :S
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by licotto View Post
    Personally, I don't think the answers make all that much sense -#3 seems convoluted so I went with #2. Then again, I have one of those 2%-of-the-population-would-think-that brains...
    Doesn't seem convoluted to me - it's called "captured" rotation meaning it rotates on its axis at the same rate that it revolves around the earth, so the same side always faces the earth.
    My device history:

    - Jim J.

    (On Sprint for many years)
  5. #5  
    The backside of the moon is often seen at wild parties after an appropriate amount of beverages have been consumed. Sometime multiple moons are seen in school bus windows after a team of school boys have won some important sporting event!

    Edit: ... and our moon is constantly "mooning" the rest of the universe! (I know you did not ask for this mental image - but humor is needed everywhere. We need to make the right impression on the aliens! )
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  6. #6  
    there is no backside to the moon. The wizard of oz is back there working the switches and buttons.
  7. #7  
    amateur astronomer here. #3
  8. #8  
    So does this mean that people who live on the other side of the world see the OTHER side of the moon at night?? I'm confuzzled...
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Riona View Post
    So does this mean that people who live on the other side of the world see the OTHER side of the moon at night?? I'm confuzzled...
    Imagine what happens if a string were attached from the Earth to the moon. That's pretty much the effect of what we see. (Not sure if you were joking or not. If so, I'll ban myself for being a nerd.)
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by sudoer View Post
    Imagine what happens if a string were attached from the Earth to the moon. That's pretty much the effect of what we see. (Not sure if you were joking or not. If so, I'll ban myself for being a nerd.)
    Sadly enough, I wasn't joking - I'm intelligent, but I've never taken much of an interest in astronomy (other than watching The Universe on the History channel sometimes).
    Does the moon turn on an axis of its own?
    If so, I'd imagine a string running from the earth to the moon would get awful tangled up! (Yes, I'm just kidding on that last comment)

    Now that I think about it, I guess it must turn on an axis since it does have some gravity, although not as much as the Earth...
  11. #11  
    I'm probably a few (if not many) years older than you. I had the advantage of being a little kid who was very interested in the Apollo missions (and a brother who was a bit of an astronomy nut).

    Gravity has nothing to do with rotation of an object. Every object has gravitational pull (but big things like planets and moons dwarf the effect of smaller objects like you and me).

    PS: I never took astronomy either, but weirdly enough I majored in Physics in college. (I have used little to none of it since then.)
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  12. #12  
    So does the moon rotate? And if so, what makes it rotate?

    And I'll admit that next Feb, I'll be celebrating the 19th annversary of my 21st birthday. (try to figure that one out!)
  13.    #13  
    It does rotate, it just happens to rotate at the same speed that it orbits the Earth. (27.3 days) not an uncommon occurance....look up tidally locked exo-planets. Supposedly when the big event (we're assuming a large impact with the earth of an object close to Mars' size) hit the earth, and a large chunk of the Earth flew away and became, over the course of billions of years, our moon.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Riona View Post
    So does the moon rotate? And if so, what makes it rotate?
    I know very little about astronomy so let's let someone else answer. I just imagine the moon as a "rock" that one day separated from the Earth and escaped into orbit. If "the pitcher" didn't give the ball any spin, we'd always see the same side.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riona View Post
    And I'll admit that next Feb, I'll be celebrating the 19th annversary of my 21st birthday. (try to figure that one out!)
    19 * 21 = 399. I take it back, you are a few years older than me.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  15. #15  
    Wow! I'm not THAT old! If I were that old, I would hope to be a lot smarter/have a lot more wisdom than I do now.

    I do have enough smarts to know you're supposed to add 19 and 21, not multiply them.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Riona View Post
    Wow! I'm not THAT old! If I were that old, I would hope to be a lot smarter/have a lot more wisdom than I do now.

    I do have enough smarts to know you're supposed to add 19 and 21, not multiply them.
    When men don't know the answer, we just make up some smart a s s answer! (And yes, your riddle definitely had me confused. Now I'm understanding - your 21st birthday only happened once and anniversaries were each year thereafter.)
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!

Posting Permissions