Page 20 of 37 FirstFirst ... 10151617181920212223242530 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xForsaken View Post
    i look to reports of laws being enacted and some of the biggest rip offs in the financial world as well as health care happening, one of the things that was fact bush gutted enforcement ends of the financial and health care investigators. that was reported repeatedly. ohhh wait thats right we can trust all these fine corps to police themselves. madoff anyone. how about the latest one where they busted that medicare (i think it was medicare anyway) fraud ring. hundreds of millions. no that was not a corp. but it sure as hell says there is some real problems with no enforcement if ids can be stolen and no one around to notice.. but hey thats just me.
    Yes, apparently tha's just you.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    one of the things that was fact bush gutted enforcement ends of the financial and health care investigators.
    You're definitely not alone in your concerns. The Bush administration gave us poor regulation of health care fraud and a more aggressive approach is long overdue.
    End the charrade...lets get single payer, universal care....thats where this all ends up anyway....either that or go back to a true market system, like when my grandfather used to deliver babies for eggs and halves of beef....

[i]-- Sent from my Palm PrPrPr
    -- VZW Pre+ -- Uberk/Gov fixed @ 1ghz -- QPST gps mod -- stock battery (?mugen 3800?) --
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    Yes, apparently tha's just you.
    naww.. i think your new pres cares too.. he was the one that made sure the money was in place to enforce the laws that Bush put in place .. but bush wouldnt pay for them to be enforced.. hmmm weird that eh..
    Life is short, Play hard, and enjoy every moment as if it was your last.
  5.    #385  
    Under Obama's leadership? bwah hahahahahaaaa!

from Cellmatrix's post from the New England Journal of Medicine:

No previous administration has placed as high a priority on fighting fraud as that pledged by President Barack Obama. Before enactment of the ACA, the administration emphasized that it had “zero tolerance” for health care fraud, as Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS) Kathleen Sebelius put it, and that preventing such fraud is a “personal priority” of Obama's.3 In May 2009, to more effectively coordinate federal efforts, the administration announced the creation of a Cabinet-level antifraud task force to be overseen by the deputy attorney general and the deputy HHS secretary. Under its aegis, the administration created “strike force teams,” composed of investigators from various federal agencies, that operate in “hot spots” of unexplained high Medicare billing levels, which include South Florida, Los Angeles, Detroit, Houston, Brooklyn, Baton Rouge, and Tampa. The administration plans to double the number of strike force teams by 2012 and to target additional cities where such fraud is rampant. In many of the cases brought by prosecutors to date, defendants allegedly paid kickbacks to medical professionals and beneficiaries for the use of their Medicare information to support fictitious claims for items or services that were never provided.
    Largely on the basis of recommendations from the OIG, the DHHS, the Justice Department, and the GAO, Congress enacted sweeping provisions in the ACA to strengthen federal efforts to stem fraud, waste, and abuse. These provisions amend existing criminal, civil, and administrative antifraud laws in various ways, including the imposition of more stringent entry requirements on the 18,000 applicants who, in an average month, seek Medicare's approval to bill the program for services; the empowerment of the DHHS to determine which Medicare providers should create internal compliance programs designed to make them more vigilant against fraud; and a mandate for increased public reporting of industry's payments and other transfers of value to providers. Most of the antifraud provisions took effect on enactment of the reform law.
    http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp1007088

I'm sure the president will accept your apology.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    I'm sure the president will accept your apology.
    I hope he doesn't hold his breath!

I think I asked this earlier, but again - why do you persist with the posts in this thread? Do you feel that Obamacare is threatened? As far as I knew, it was a done deal. You guys won the battle, and most probably the war.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  7.    #387  
    I hope he doesn't hold his breath!

I think I asked this earlier, but again - why do you persist with the posts in this thread? Do you feel that Obamacare is threatened? As far as I knew, it was a done deal. You guys won the battle, and most probably the war.
    Because there is a tremendous amount of misinformation about the law. Other people don't seem to be as resigned as you are.

Besides, it's a better use of bandwidth than some of the teen-age level carp that exists on this forum.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Because there is a tremendous amount of misinformation about the law. Other people don't seem to be as resigned as you are.

Besides, it's a better use of bandwidth than some of the teen-age level carp that exists on this forum.
    On a related theme.... I haven't noticed any dem's pointing proudly to this bill as part of their re-election campaigns.
    obama care = buckleys cough syurp, tastes real bad going down .. but it works..
    Life is short, Play hard, and enjoy every moment as if it was your last.

There is misinformation out there about the law, but there are also things that people had no idea were in there. The $600 1099 issue, the W-2 requirement (which has been delayed a year because it is causing such a controversy), the additional tax on homes over $500k that are sold, etc, etc. Pelosi said it herself, we wouldn't know what was in it until it was passed and that is why democrats aren't running on it because the public is finally discovering all these little hidden gems.

I also tend to agree with Micael in that there is likely little that can be done with obama in the WH. Perhaps, if....IF....the Republicans do have a successful election (I'm not sold that it's going to be as one sided of an election as many are predicting) they can delay some funding and maybe get some things changed, but obama will veto anything requiring his signature...so....the change is unlikely....but who knows.

And YES, I agree with davidra about some of the other teen-age level threads. I made the mistake of going into one and making a comment and I think some guy wanted to beat me up because I maybe commented on his Palm Pre Forum girl friend. Go figure.
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

"It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
    obama care = buckleys cough syurp, tastes real bad going down .. but it works..
    ....until you throw it back up.

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
  12.    #392  
    Quote Originally Posted by clemgrad85 View Post
    There is misinformation out there about the law, but there are also things that people had no idea were in there. The $600 1099 issue, the W-2 requirement (which has been delayed a year because it is causing such a controversy), the additional tax on homes over $500k that are sold, etc, etc. Pelosi said it herself, we wouldn't know what was in it until it was passed and that is why democrats aren't running on it because the public is finally discovering all these little hidden gems.
    I just don't think that's the case. The republicans were calling for repeal as soon as the bill was passed, and the population turned against the bill without knowledge of any such details. I have asked two people who stated they wanted to repeal the law why, and they said "because it's socialized medicine". The fact is that it's less "socialized medicine" than Medicare is. They have just been sold a bill of goods by republicans. If there is any thought at all put into opposing it, one might here something like "nobody can force me to buy anything I don't want to" or "nobody can take my money and pay for other people's health care with it". And both of those reasons are untrue because they already take place. The horrors of this bill are in fact minor things like you are pointing out, which are minimal compared to 30 million people getting insurance, pre-existing conditions being covered, etc. And the worst part of the bill is the fact that insurance companies are poised to clean up because of the mandate.
    I just don't think that's the case. The republicans were calling for repeal as soon as the bill was passed, and the population turned against the bill without knowledge of any such details. I have asked two people who stated they wanted to repeal the law why, and they said "because it's socialized medicine". The fact is that it's less "socialized medicine" than Medicare is. They have just been sold a bill of goods by republicans. If there is any thought at all put into opposing it, one might here something like "nobody can force me to buy anything I don't want to" or "nobody can take my money and pay for other people's health care with it". And both of those reasons are untrue because they already take place. The horrors of this bill are in fact minor things like you are pointing out, which are minimal compared to 30 million people getting insurance, pre-existing conditions being covered, etc. And the worst part of the bill is the fact that insurance companies are poised to clean up because of the mandate.
    Davidra....we bang our heads together about this issue all the time so I hesitate to mention it again, but I believe people consider it more a "first step" towards socialized medicine rather than a switch to it at this time. You are very up front that you hope it goes to single payer/universal coverage, and I respect you being up front about that....but.....many who behind closed doors want that don't say that when out talking to the public. Obama has said in speeches (again, go to youtube and listen to his speech on this) that it is his goal, but, he doesn't say that now (or I don't recall him saying it recently) because he knows that it is unpopular with a majority of citizens. The speeches where he pushed this were 3 or 4 years ago. In my opinion, that (single payer) would be a form of socialized medicine and so that is what I see is happening with the current bill. The current bill will fail (as it was designed to do) and then if we have a liberal Prez and Congress in place, the only option will be (in their opinion) to let the government take it over.

Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    I just don't think that's the case. The republicans were calling for repeal as soon as the bill was passed, and the population turned against the bill without knowledge of any such details.
    Let's be fair, David. They were fighting for it not to be passed to begin with. Of course they were immediately talking about appeal. And *nobody* had knowledge of the bill details at the time of it's passing. Wasn't it Reid who said they had to pass it in order to find out what was in it?

Now many dems are distancing themselves from the whole mess.

.... what a circus this Congress is.
  15.    #395  
    Let's be fair, David. They were fighting for it not to be passed to begin with. Of course they were immediately talking about appeal. And *nobody* had knowledge of the bill details at the time of it's passing. Wasn't it Reid who said they had to pass it in order to find out what was in it?

Fairness has nothing to do with it. Do you really, actually think that it just so happens that 100% of republicans are opposed to extending coverage to 30 million people? Or providing coverage for pre-existing conditions? Do you really think that those votes occurred on the basis of knowledgeable rational thought processes? As Boehner said, hell no. Those votes were based on politics, plain and simple, and to deny such is to really be naive. Like the vast majority of republican votes, they are simply meant to lead to Obama's failure. I really, actually believe that, and I bet you do too. Sure, the congress is a mess, both democrats and republicans, but the republicans have put pure politics ahead of what is best for the nation time and time again, even changing their positions on their own bills, or their own policies (right, McCain....remember the immigration bill?). You can and do call me biased, and that's fine, but that's the way I see it. Not that democrats won't do the same thing, but they have many more members that actually vote their philosophy, even if it conflicts with the party line. Doesn't happen on the other side. It pi sses me off that politics is even an issue when it comes to providing adequate safe care to everyone in the country, but that's the way we are in this country, and it's not to the betterment of the health of the country in any way.
    Last edited by davidra; 10/18/2010 at 05:54 PM.
  16.    #396  
    Quote Originally Posted by clemgrad85 View Post
    T In my opinion, that (single payer) would be a form of socialized medicine and so that is what I see is happening with the current bill. The current bill will fail (as it was designed to do) and then if we have a liberal Prez and Congress in place, the only option will be (in their opinion) to let the government take it over.
    That is the only option in the long run anyway. The point is that the current bill is far from socialized medicine, and the republicans still hate it, even though it gives a handout to insurance companies. Certainly the current bill is much less "socialized" than Medicare, wouldn't you agree?
    For those who questioned whether the the Obama administration's efforts to fight health care fraud, waste, and abuse were serious or not, question no more. Its now going after the health insurance industry

U.S. files antitrust suit against Michigan Blue Cross Blue Shield

"The federal government sued Michigan's largest health insurer Monday, alleging it abused its market clout to inflate health-care costs and impede competition.

The government alleged that Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan negotiated contracts that prohibited hospitals from granting deeper price discounts to other insurers.
    "

In some cases, Blue Cross's contracts required hospitals to charge other insurers significantly more than they charged Blue Cross, the federal antitrust suit said. In other cases, Blue Cross agreed to increase the prices it pays hospitals - boosting costs for its own customers - in return for commitments that other insurers would be charged no less, the lawsuit said.

"As a result, consumers in Michigan are paying more for their healthcare services and health insurance," Christine Varney, the assistant attorney general for antitrust matters, said in a statement.
    That is the only option in the long run anyway. The point is that the current bill is far from socialized medicine, and the republicans still hate it, even though it gives a handout to insurance companies. Certainly the current bill is much less "socialized" than Medicare, wouldn't you agree?
    A hand out to insurance companies? I guess The Principal didn't get that memo as they are withdrawing from the market. Why would they do this if they were about to get a great deal? You may have the scoop on the AMA, but I know what insurance companies are saying behind closed doors, and they are seriously not sure how they are going to be able to remain in this market. But again, that is the goal of this bill, to run the insurance companies off. The more that leave the better for the socialized medicine advocates such as yourself.

It was actually Pelosi who made that crazy staement: "We must pass this bill so we can see what is in it." Good grief.

I keep hearing the words of our great Prez obama: "If you like your present health care plan you can keep it". Wellllllllllllllll.....not exactly:

Boeing pares employee health plan | The Post and Courier, Charleston SC - News, Sports, Entertainment

"The newly enacted health care reform legislation, while intended to expand access to care for millions of uninsured Americans, also is adding cost pressure as requirements of the new law are phased in over the next several years," wrote Rick Stephens, Boeing's senior vice president for human resources.

Yup....this is going to continue....it's just sad that our President and the rest of the liberals lied to the American people in order to get their agenda through.