Page 45 of 240 FirstFirst ... 3540414243444546474849505595145 ... LastLast
    OK, firdt glass of wine is gone...on to the next!
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    LOL! Hope it's got a little spice to it.
    Yes, it's worthy of your honor. I believe it has some orange or lemon peel added near the finish of the fermentation (which gives it the complex character that you deserve!)

My favorite beer of theirs by far is their (seasonal) "Nutcracker" (double bock ale). 7.25% alcohol, and beginning to approach the character of a brandywine. [I don't have any of that 2nite, ]
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    what does double bock ale mean?
    Quote Originally Posted by Riona View Post
    I don't know the exact meaning, but basically it means they have to use about twice the grain bill as usual to make the beer because the yeast eats it all up to make the alcohol and some of the other stuff that tastes really good. Years ago, I had a Sam Adams triple-bock. That's the sort of beer I like to savor over 2 or 3 days and really enjoy the taste. It came in a blue bottle with a cork and cost about $5/bottle at the beer store. Once again, I think it had about 3x the grain bill of a normal beer and it takes a long time to ferment (thus justifying its cost).
    Quote Originally Posted by sudoer View Post
    I don't know the exact meaning, but basically it means they have to use about twice the grain bill as usual to make the beer because the yeast eats it all up to make the alcohol and some of the other stuff that tastes really good. Years ago, I had a Sam Adams triple-bock. That's the sort of beer I like to savor over 2 or 3 days and really enjoy the taste. It came in a blue bottle with a cork and cost about $5/bottle at the beer store. Once again, I think it had about 3x the grain bill of a normal beer and it takes a long time to ferment (thus justifying its cost).
    You savor ONE bottle of beer over 2 or 3 days?? Doesn't it taste kinda funny by the 3rd day? :P
    You savor ONE bottle of beer over 2 or 3 days?? Doesn't it taste kinda funny by the 3rd day? :P
    Not when it has that much alcohol in it!

BTW: The Red Vixen is very pleasing!
    I like to alternate between bread and beer. I ran out of good bread so some is in the breadmaker which will be done and warm in about 1.5 hours (in time for verwon's celebration of New Years). Store bread tastes like crap so I'm using bagels (Thomas') instead right now. (Call me weird, but it makes a huge difference!) -- Bob
    Things are much funnier when you'er tipsy on a bottle of wine...

,my dingers seem to be munb
    Oh yeah, one more thing:
    - ales are typically made with a top fermenting yeast while lagers are made with a bottom fermenting yeast. Cousins of each other, if you will, but different amimals. I'm waiting for PETA to catch onto us and start displaying pictures of abused yeast on the busses and subways. Lagers typically need to be fermented a little longer and at a lower temperature than ales.
    Things are much funnier when you'er tipsy on a bottle of wine...

,my dingers seem to be munb
    I was curious how that tipsiness was going.

On another front, I almost bought a crock-pot while at the store this afternoon (to make the chilli). I can borrow one. I'll probably make a first attempt at using your recipe this weekend. -- Bob
    Ah! everyone shuls have a crocl pot! It's a basic of any kitchen. The bigger the better...more to share or have for leftovers later.

Just poured the last glass of wine from the bottle...funny how one bottle oinly lasts 3 glasses huh?
    Since you're so nice to pit youtr name at the end of your posts, mu real name si Susan
    HAPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEE NEW YEARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's midnight here

Kiss kiss kiss whoevers closest
    Agree that bigger crock-pots are better. We have a pretty large smart-pot back in Boston. I like that it automatically steps down the temperature at various cycles during the cooking. High at first, then medium for several hours followed by a keep warm. Since I sometimes am forgetful, it;s nice to have a little help. The reviews on the smaller smart-pots were terrible (on NewEgg) so I don't want to buy a dud. If none of the smart pots are any good any more, I'll just buy a cheap crock pot and build some sort of temperature controller myself!
    I think mine is a Proctor-silex and I got it on clearenace... Works well for me even tho it's not bery amart
    HAPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEE NEW YEARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's midnight here

Kiss kiss kiss whoevers closest
    I totally missed the countdown. I think I have the wrong channel on the TV. (They are focused ion Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl.)

Happy New Years, and thank you for the kiss (even though I was distracted at the moment)!
    I have NBC on at the moment - Lil Wayne was on there singking about babannanas or sometjing...I couldn't undersntat him. His pants weer hanfingf down too low too.
    My tyaoiung craccks me up
    Wine si all gone noew,...and I'm comfortable numb.

he he he he he he
    Quote Originally Posted by sudoer View Post
    I like to alternate between bread and beer. I ran out of good bread so some is in the breadmaker which will be done and warm in about 1.5 hours (in time for verwon's celebration of New Years). Store bread tastes like crap so I'm using bagels (Thomas') instead right now. (Call me weird, but it makes a huge difference!) -- Bob
    It's only after 9 here, so 3 hours to go and I don't celebrate anything, probably be asleep by then, actually.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!