Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 101516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
    On a side-note, it really is a testament to the resilience of American business that even under the boot-heel of an anti-corporatist, tyrannical, Communist president the Dow Jones will probably hit 11,000 within a week or two.

For some humorous reading, check out the frothing at the mouth and catastrophic predictions about the DJIA on right-wing blogs running from roughly Inauguration Day 2008 until March 2008 or so.

Then, the DJIA was a VERDICT! . . . a REFERENDUM! . . . a CONSENSUS! . . . UNEQUIVOCAL EVIDENCE! that Obama was the WORST, MOST DISASTROUS, blah blah blah blah blah.

Now? *crickets*

The same way virtually every Republican now says they'll lay down their life to protect Medicare. Really funny stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    It all still boils down to left-side thinking versus right-side. You article tries to recast the debate as if there's a new boogieman, but it still all boils down to the same fundamental arguments.
    So do you disagree with the fact that we need to separate corporations and government?
    Hey, here's an interesting idea. Let's take the last 3 decades, list off positive changes for the country and see who was President and which party was controlling Congress? Who wants to start?
    a good balance of dem and rep is the right way to go. just sayin.
    Quote Originally Posted by switchedgear View Post
    A good balance of dem and rep or of Left and Right? There is a difference because there are actually conservatives in the Democratic party.
    We just need to take the good from both sides and throw out the trash thats all.
    Well that would pretty much just be taking moderates from both parties. Unfortunately it seems like the moderates are currently being purged from one of the parties...
    Last edited by Orion Antares; 09/27/2010 at 08:08 PM.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by switchedgear View Post
    Dunno, I'm not so sure a 2 party system is working so well any more. Nothing seems to get done. Even when there's a dem "majority" in both houses and the presidency, they can't seem to move along with what the people actually ask for.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Dunno, I'm not so sure a 2 party system is working so well any more. Nothing seems to get done. Even when there's a dem "majority" in both houses and the presidency, they can't seem to move along with what the people actually ask for.
    Ever think that the people already got what they asked for?

What was that by chance?

It was simply Not Bush.
    The issue with the Dems is them being more diverse in views than the Repubs. The Dems range from extreme Left to Moderates to Conservatives. The Repubs are Moderates to extreme Right and the Conservatives tend to over power the Moderates and sometimes manage to overpower the Dems even...
    We had one party in charge of everything for 7 years. How did that turn out again?
    "Brace yourself, you beautiful *****. I am about to **** you up with some truth!" - Kenny Powers

"I don't mind paying taxes. With taxes, I purchase civilization."
    - H.L. Mencken
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    The issue with the Dems is them being more diverse in views than the Repubs. The Dems range from extreme Left to Moderates to Conservatives. The Repubs are Moderates to extreme Right and the Conservatives tend to over power the Moderates and sometimes manage to overpower the Dems even...
    Conservative dems are a dying breed (name me one in congress...I'll name at least 2 Liberal Rep Senators). Pelosi/Reid have made sure of that.
    The 2 party system works perfectly for the Corporations. They haven't had it so good since Harding and Hoover. In Washington DC you have a club. Some of the members call themselves Rep. some call themselves Dem. They both are bought off by Corp lobbyists.

You say "nothing gets done". I've been reading the Left vs Right circle jerk on P/C for over a year. same people, same biased opinions. What's accomplished....ZERO.

Do you really think the "people" promoted the deregulating the Savings and Loans, utilities, repealing Glass-Steagall act, NAFTA,Free Trade, H1B visas, Corp are "people" too. This is nothing less than Corp war on the middle class. The pendulum has been swinging towards`the Corp for the last 30 years. At some point it will swing back, how soon remains to be seen. Until we clean up K Street (lobbyists) nothing will change.

Some info on lobbying....

Hightower: Washington Overrun by 11,000 Corporate Lobbyists and $500 Million in Corrupting Donations Bear Market News
    Quote Originally Posted by JDAustin View Post
    Conservative dems are a dying breed (name me one in congress...I'll name at least 2 Liberal Rep Senators). Pelosi/Reid have made sure of that.
    You're kidding, right? How about all the Blue Dog democrats?

Blue Dog Coalition Members

Ben Nelson, Blanche Lincoln, Mary Landrieu and Max Baucus just about singlehandedly blocked a public option. It's moderate centrist republicans that are a dying breed...except for two in the far northeast. See any others around? Anywhere?
    Charlie Crist tried to be a moderate centrist republican, and what did HE get? Basically tossed out of the party, and shunned for OH NO, "trying" to work with and compromise with the President.. He is now forced to run as an independent (and will probably lose to the VERY questionable tea bagger, Rubio ) for the Florida Senate.

Moderate non religious right driven republicans simply do not exist, or exist for long before the non stop hi jacking of Republican party continues to obliterate anyone who does not lock step with them.
    I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenanator View Post
    We had one party in charge of everything for 7 years. How did that turn out again?
    I dunno... about as well as it's turning out now? That's why I raised the question about a 2 party system.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenanator View Post
    About as well as having the other party control Congress and the Presidency for the last two years and from 1992 - 1994 .

When one party - Democrats or Republicans controls everything its a complete cluster&^% - all common sense goes out the window. Both parties forget that the only reason they got into power was because their message during the elections appealed to independents (i.e. moderates) at the time. It did not give their party a mandate to pass every item on their party platform.
    I think the difference this time is that the democrats have a "super majority" and the presidency, so they can pass anything they want and get it signed. That's what makes it unlikely that they could recapture congress and repeal the healthcare deform bill. obama would veto it and they probably wont gain enough to be able to override his veto.

that's why I think we should pick congress like we do jurors. randomly chosen from regular folk, limited service, and then return to live with the laws they made...
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Yea! I think the thread is getting back on track!

I'm not a fan of the 2 party system either, but I don't think adding parties will help get things done. But then, don't think I want the feds to get too much done, frankly. Their track record over the last 15 years or so has really stunk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I think the difference this time is that the democrats have a "super majority" and the presidency, so they can pass anything they want and get it signed. That's what makes it unlikely that they could recapture congress and repeal the healthcare deform bill. obama would veto it and they probably wont gain enough to be able to override his veto.

that's why I think we should pick congress like we do jurors. randomly chosen from regular folk, limited service, and then return to live with the laws they made...
    Yep Super STUPID Majority.. even WITH that, they could NOT get REAL Health Care Reform thru.. I hold my original claim Dems are STUPID and Reps LIE!
    I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre