Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516171823 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    But back to the thread's topic:

GOP 'Pledge' vows cuts, repeal of health care law
    By JULIE HIRSCHFELD DAVIS, Associated Press Writer Julie Hirschfeld Davis, Associated Press Writer
    37 mins ago

STERLING, Va. – Pushing toward big gains on Nov. 2, House Republicans promised to end a slew of Democratic policies and restore Americans' trust in government as they rolled out a campaign manifesto designed to show they're listening to an angry public and are focused on creating jobs......
    Awesome!!! More "cuts". They worked out so well with Bush!. Under Bush's tax cuts, the average middle class person saved less than $20 a year on their taxes while those making a million and over saved hundreds of thousands. Figure in my loss of around $10,000 from my yearly income do to loss of hours and commissions because of a tanking economy... Boy, I sure can't wait for the GOP to regain power to ****** me even more!!!

And lets not forget what those cuts did to help out with that deficit!!!
    "Brace yourself, you beautiful *****. I am about to **** you up with some truth!" - Kenny Powers

"I don't mind paying taxes. With taxes, I purchase civilization."
    - H.L. Mencken
    The GOP’s Pledge: Nothing New

Edward R. Jenkins | 09/23/2010 | Politics

After two years of having no platform (other than “No”), the GOP has released its “Pledge with America,” hoping to replicate the success of Newt Gingrich’s “Contract with America” that helped lead Republicans to victory in 1994.

Despite being substantially longer than Gingrich’s “Contract,” (this one is 21 pages; the other “Contract” was roughly 900 words), it fails to deliver in the same areas the GOP has failed to deliver on in decades.

In a nutshell, it lacks substance. It actually includes the pledge to “Keep terrorists out of America” (as if President Obama is just letting them come and go as they wish).

Conservative blogger Erik Erickson (RedState.com) criticized the Pledge, calling it “the most ridiculous thing to come out of Washington since George McClellan.”

Moreover, the Pledge outlines the same song and dance the Republicans have been screaming for years; it also “introduces” many of the same ideas that got us into this crippling economic situation: less regulation, more drilling, less government, lower taxes, less government spending, yadda yadda. It calls for a “self-governing” society.

The GOP’s Pledge also promises to “repeal and replace the government takeover of health care.”

What specifically does it promise to replace it with? Well, as usual, the GOP is short on specifics and long on rhetoric and zingers.

One of the solutions (the Pledge’s entire solution to health care is three sentences) is “real medical liability reform.” This is code for tort reform. Essentially, the GOP wants to make it harder for you to sue in the event that something goes haywire. They push this outrageous notion that skyrocketing medical and insurance costs (and thus record profits for the industry) are somehow the result of frivolous lawsuits.

It’s more of the blame-the-victim mentality. We’ve seen it quite often from the GOP. A similar case was presented during the so-called Bankrupcty Reform, which makes it nearly impossible for the typical person to file bankruptcy – which is a constitutionally-guaranteed right.

Ironically, this Pledge was rolled out on the same day that the first provisions of Obama’s health-care plan go into effect.

Starting today, insurers can no longer place lifetime limits on patients. Starting today, children cannot be excluded from a policy because of a pre-existing injury (the rule for adults does not kick in until 2014).

And starting today, the GOP officially has a written contract with the American people to take those benefits away.
    "Brace yourself, you beautiful *****. I am about to **** you up with some truth!" - Kenny Powers

- H.L. Mencken
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenanator View Post
    The GOP’s Pledge: Nothing New

Edward R. Jenkins | 09/23/2010 | Politics

After two years of having no platform (other than “No”), the GOP has released its “Pledge with America,” hoping to replicate the success of Newt Gingrich’s “Contract with America” that helped lead Republicans to victory in 1994.

Despite being substantially longer than Gingrich’s “Contract,” (this one is 21 pages; the other “Contract” was roughly 900 words), it fails to deliver in the same areas the GOP has failed to deliver on in decades.

In a nutshell, it lacks substance. It actually includes the pledge to “Keep terrorists out of America” (as if President Obama is just letting them come and go as they wish).

Conservative blogger Erik Erickson (RedState.com) criticized the Pledge, calling it “the most ridiculous thing to come out of Washington since George McClellan.”

Moreover, the Pledge outlines the same song and dance the Republicans have been screaming for years; it also “introduces” many of the same ideas that got us into this crippling economic situation: less regulation, more drilling, less government, lower taxes, less government spending, yadda yadda. It calls for a “self-governing” society.

The GOP’s Pledge also promises to “repeal and replace the government takeover of health care.”

What specifically does it promise to replace it with? Well, as usual, the GOP is short on specifics and long on rhetoric and zingers.

One of the solutions (the Pledge’s entire solution to health care is three sentences) is “real medical liability reform.” This is code for tort reform. Essentially, the GOP wants to make it harder for you to sue in the event that something goes haywire. They push this outrageous notion that skyrocketing medical and insurance costs (and thus record profits for the industry) are somehow the result of frivolous lawsuits.

It’s more of the blame-the-victim mentality. We’ve seen it quite often from the GOP. A similar case was presented during the so-called Bankrupcty Reform, which makes it nearly impossible for the typical person to file bankruptcy – which is a constitutionally-guaranteed right.

Ironically, this Pledge was rolled out on the same day that the first provisions of Obama’s health-care plan go into effect.

Starting today, insurers can no longer place lifetime limits on patients. Starting today, children cannot be excluded from a policy because of a pre-existing injury (the rule for adults does not kick in until 2014).

And starting today, the GOP officially has a written contract with the American people to take those benefits away.
    I think they're definitely stumbling a bit. The tea party has thrown them some curves and they're having trouble finding the right vehicle for their message. Adding a "yeah, me too" to the tea party's platform is a bit weak.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    I think they're definitely stumbling a bit. The tea party has thrown them some curves and they're having trouble finding the right vehicle for their message. Adding a "yeah, me too" to the tea party's platform is a bit weak.
    I knew you would come around!!!

- H.L. Mencken
    That's funny, I thought the GOP was FOR tax cuts/breaks for small businesses....

Small Business Bill Passed

Newswire | 09/23/2010 | Latest News

After weeks of debate, the small business bill is ready to be delivered to President Obama’s desk. Only one Republican voted for it.

House lawmakers voted Thursday largely along party lines to approve legislation that includes a range of measures aimed at helping small businesses get improved access to capital and $12 billion in tax credits for smaller firm owners.

The House voted 237-187 with just one Republican joining nearly every Democrat in supporting the measure.

via House Clears Small-Business Bill – WSJ.com.

- H.L. Mencken
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenanator View Post
    So pointing out a provable fact that the Rep party is predominantly white is racist now?

Sorry, that was pretty racist of me....
    Listen, I didn't write your post....you did.....now you slip in this word "predominantly white"....not in your initial post unless you have gone back and edited (wouldn't put it past ya). I responded to your comment about "you see all white faces". So fine, you put up pictures of groups of Republicans with "all white faces". So maybe you have learned that it isn't "all white faces" by me bringing to your attention that, at least here in SC, we have a Republican running (should win, fingers crossed) that doesn't have a white face. So....I am happy to have had the opportunity to better inform you.

By the way.....you might find this article of interest as well:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/05/us...acks.html?_r=1

More knowledge just for YOU! Hmmmm....I wonder if a white democrat votes for a white democrat candidate over a black Republican candidate if he/she is considered a racist? Hmmmm.
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

"It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
    The reason no Republican voted for Obama Care and that most democrats are running from it is because it simply is not doing what the stated goal was, to provide coverage for everyone and to decrease premiums. Why would the Republicans vote for something that wasn't going to work? The plan was designed to fail to lead to obama's stated goal of a single payer system. Time will tell whether the Republicans can save the day and unfund this ridiculous nothing of a bill that was written by people that simply don't understand anything about health care, or whether the liberals achieve their goal of turning the US into Europe.

As someone who deals with this on a daily basis, nothing is decreasing and the number of insurance companies not writing stand alone policies on children are increasing. And this really annoys me because it harms the healthy children and will simply raise the premiums even more making it even harder to afford. Thanks obama and the democrats! But see, either the writers of the bill were more stupid than I even think they are, or, the goal was to put something in place that wouldn't work and therefore force this issue to a public option or single-payer system. I say the former because people can't be this stupid....can they?

I know you can say I'm lying, but whatever, but about an hour ago I was on the phone with a group client of mine who voted for obama (her husband didn't, but she did). She is sooooo frustrated with this bill and obama that there is no way in heck she is voting for that ***** again. Again, say I'm lying....making this up....I know I speak the truth....but he has clearly lost many Independents who aren't coming back....and obama care is just the tip of the iceburg for reason.

Here is another interesting "nugget" that was hidden in the obama care bill: Costly changes to 1099 reporting in health care law | AccountingWEB.com

In a nut shell, this is what will be required: “Under the new law, businesses will be required to send a 1099 to other businesses for virtually all purchases,” said Chris Hesse, director of taxation at CPA firm LeMaster DanielsPLLC in Washington state, as quoted by Chris Edwards in a Cato Institute blog. "And for the first time, 1099s are to be sent to corporations,” Hesse said. “This is a huge new imposition on American business, costing the private economy much more than any additional tax that the IRS might collect as a result.”

You really can't make this stuff up.
    Last edited by clemgrad85; 09/23/2010 at 05:15 PM.
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

"It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
    lol. too funny. as if the left doesn't inject race into just about every argument they're losing.
    Bwaaahahahaha! And for evidence of that, just look at Kenanator's post above yours. Ah the race card. A Democrat's best friend.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    Quote Originally Posted by clemgrad85 View Post
    Listen, I didn't write your post....you did.....now you slip in this word "predominantly white"....not in your initial post unless you have gone back and edited (wouldn't put it past ya). I responded to your comment about "you see all white faces". So fine, you put up pictures of groups of Republicans with "all white faces". So maybe you have learned that it isn't "all white faces" by me bringing to your attention that, at least here in SC, we have a Republican running (should win, fingers crossed) that doesn't have a white face. So....I am happy to have had the opportunity to better inform you.
    But in the big scheme of things, am I wrong? Is the GOP not almost all white? Sorry that the wording of some dude on a message board is not up to snuff for you but that does not change the facts...

By the way.....you might find this article of interest as well:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/05/us...acks.html?_r=1
    And even more justification on your part....

More knowledge just for YOU! Hmmmm....I wonder if a white democrat votes for a white democrat candidate over a black Republican candidate if he/she is considered a racist? Hmmmm.
    LMAO So everybody should vote against their own beliefs just because race? I am white and I voted for Obama and race had ZERO to do with it. Unlike the GOP who quickly propped up Steele as their leader hours after Obama won as to say "Look, we have minorities too!!!" The GOP as almost all white and that is a fact that you cannot deny and it does not make me a racist for noticing that or pointing it out!!! Does it make you a racist for pointing out that you are going to vote for your GOP candidate in SC even though he is black? NOPE! Not at all. Is the GOP racist? I personally don't really think so but I think they are often closed minded...

- H.L. Mencken
    Quote Originally Posted by morrison0880 View Post
    Bwaaahahahaha! And for evidence of that, just look at Kenanator's post above yours. Ah the race card. A Democrat's best friend.
    Pointing out a provable fact that the GOP is almost entirely white is not playing the race card. Nice try though....

- H.L. Mencken
    Quote Originally Posted by clemgrad85 View Post
    The reason no Republican voted for Obama Care and that most democrats are running from it is because it simply is not doing what the stated goal was, to provide coverage for everyone and to decrease premiums. Why would the Republicans vote for something that wasn't going to work? The plan was designed to fail to lead to obama's stated goal of a single payer system. Time will tell whether the Republicans can save the day and unfund this ridiculous nothing of a bill that was written by people that simply don't understand anything about health care, or whether the liberals achieve their goal of turning the US into Europe.

As someone who deals with this on a daily basis, nothing is decreasing and the number of insurance companies not writing stand alone policies on children are increasing. And this really annoys me because it harms the healthy children and will simply raise the premiums even more making it even harder to afford. Thanks obama and the democrats! But see, either the writers of the bill were more stupid than I even think they are, or, the goal was to put something in place that wouldn't work and therefore force this issue to a public option or single-payer system. I say the former because people can't be this stupid....can they?

I know you can say I'm lying, but whatever, but about an hour ago I was on the phone with a group client of mine who voted for obama (her husband didn't, but she did). She is sooooo frustrated with this bill and obama that there is no way in heck she is voting for that ***** again. Again, say I'm lying....making this up....I know I speak the truth....but he has clearly lost many Independents who aren't coming back....and obama care is just the tip of the iceburg for reason.

Here is another interesting "nugget" that was hidden in the obama care bill: Costly changes to 1099 reporting in health care law | AccountingWEB.com

In a nut shell, this is what will be required: “Under the new law, businesses will be required to send a 1099 to other businesses for virtually all purchases,” said Chris Hesse, director of taxation at CPA firm LeMaster DanielsPLLC in Washington state, as quoted by Chris Edwards in a Cato Institute blog. "And for the first time, 1099s are to be sent to corporations,” Hesse said. “This is a huge new imposition on American business, costing the private economy much more than any additional tax that the IRS might collect as a result.”

You really can't make this stuff up.
    Sorry, bucko. You don't deal with this every day. I do. You deal with people that can afford and obtain insurance, right? I deal with those that can't. Those are the people that will be helped by the bill, not your clients. That's why, in spite of the fact that it's not a perfect bill, I am delighted it passed. Covering an additional 30 million or so people may be insignificant to you, but it's not to them. And only you could look at insurance companies refusing to write policies for sick children because it might hurt their profits and blame someone else for it. And yes, if it ends up forcing a public option, I'd like that even more. And please keep calling the duly elected President of the United States stupid and an *****. Seems like you've become a bit more strident recently. Kind of figures, actually.

i will take the republicans over the far left loons, that are bankrupting our country, any day.......

SARAH 2012

p.s. i shouldnt have to pay for other peoples healthcare.. and i wont!!!!

REPEAL OBAMACARE
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    i will take the republicans over the far left loons, that are bankrupting our country, any day.......

SARAH 2012

p.s. i shouldnt have to pay for other peoples healthcare.. and i wont!!!!

REPEAL OBAMACARE
    Hey Jack, could you name off a few of those "far left loons" that will not be re-elected? I mean real ones not just the Obama, Reid, Pelosi figure head talking point ones.
    Yea but all of those are moderates and conservatives (ironically enough). I'd like to hear Jack name off the actual "far left loons" that are in real trouble.
    oh. I was thinking that anyone that votes for obamacare was a loon. So i'll let jack give you names.
    There are plenty of loons, that did and didn't. That doesn't make them "far left".
    im not gonna waste my time typing all their names... anyone who voted for obamacare is a socialist pig(far left loon) besides dont want to mention their names, im limiting their exposure on google this way.....

here is one of em

repeal obamacare
    SARAH 2012
    anarchy!
    Yea, I figured you didn't have any real ones in mind.