Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    i really don't see how it can be called football when the players run with the ball in there hands,doesnt the title say it all FOOTball and the fact its not ball shaped just says it all lol this is in no way a dig/insult toward american football/or americans but have you seen rugby lol near enuf the same game but in rugby the only pading you have is ur shoulders lolim not in any way shape or form comparing english football 2 american football because in my opinion english league football/soccer players are over paid panzies BUT the is more skill involved running dow a field with a BALL at ur feet and keeping control

what are ur opinions?
    Because we are American. It just works that way.
    I tell you what grab your little rugby ball and meet me on the field.....just me and you and I'll show you some good ole down home american backyard footbal.......cracking knuckles now.
    I never understood the draw of soccer personally. But that's because I was raised on the NFL. American football is more about strategy #1 and athlete's abilities #2 (but these guys are TOUGH!). I give no argument that European football takes a lot of skill and stamina. But I get bored watching it and prefer the strategy aspect of American football. Rugby is another story... those guys are nuts! LOL I roomed with a rugby player my first year in college and he was a tough guy to say the least. Its a great game that is fun to watch, but there is a learning curve for us to figure out the rules at first. But even he said he preferred playing football (American) to rugby because he found it a lot tougher of a sport to compete in.
    GO PHINS!...(I had to say it...)
    I played rugby for a few years back in highschool. It is much more fun to play than football! I wish rugby was as popular over here as football is... It's a much tougher game.
  7.    #7  
    @newman im english and even i don't fully understand rugby lol its a brutal sport,wher as american football players have padding helmets the lot,rugby players just have a t-shirt lol

@switch i think you may have anger issuse lol

sorry no quotes lol on pre mob site lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    I played rugby for a few years back in highschool. It is much more fun to play than football! I wish rugby was as popular over here as football is... It's a much tougher game.
    ESPN (before they got big) used to show tons of rugby games... hardly see anything anymore.
  10.    #10  
    reason 4 question is im watching dal vs was? Don't have a clue who the are tho lol
    Quote Originally Posted by djuvee View Post
    @newman im english and even i don't fully understand rugby lol its a brutal sport,wher as american football players have padding helmets the lot,rugby players just have a t-shirt lol
    I think the only rule is "hit the guy with the ball as hard as you can" lol. Since I was a forward, that was my primary job. Scrums are fun too.
    Quote Originally Posted by djuvee View Post
    i really don't see how it can be called football when the players run with the ball in there hands,doesnt the title say it all FOOTball and the fact its not ball shaped just says it all lol this is in no way a dig/insult toward american football/or americans but have you seen rugby lol near enuf the same game but in rugby the only pading you have is ur shoulders lolim not in any way shape or form comparing english football 2 american football because in my opinion english league football/soccer players are over paid panzies BUT the is more skill involved running dow a field with a BALL at ur feet and keeping control

what are ur opinions?
    American football was an offshoot of rugby. Feel free to use the magic of the innerwebs to research it's origins:
    American Football Wiki

I know most people consider football pedestrian but I'll be the first to admit I like it. I like watching it.

I do not like soccer. Soccer is really boring. It is extremely popular with people my age here in Seattle right now. So not only do I find it boring, the traffic is extremely annoying.

Edited to add, all you folks who keep harping on "football has padding, rugby players don't", please take a moment to realize that the padding actually allows the player to use their bodies to inflict more damage on their opponents.
    Last edited by daThomas; 09/12/2010 at 08:17 PM.
  13.    #13  
    @063_xobx david bekham thae prime example he is an over paid panzie lol
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    I think the only rule is "hit the guy with the ball as hard as you can" lol. Since I was a forward, that was my primary job. Scrums are fun too.
    and dont pass the ball forwards to a player,thats about all i know lol
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    As a lover of both sports (well all sports really), they have their merits. Soccer is boring to watch from your house. But so is baseball. Much more fun to go to a stadium and watch. Just like baseball. The modern version of football is misnamed, but like daThomas pointed out, it is a derivative of rugby, which incorporates much more kicking.
    Canadian Football is one of the biggest things I miss about home.

Hard to compare Soccer and Football. Kind of like comparing hockey and curling.
    No knocking American football!

<Steelers>
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Sure playing soccer requires skill. But playing American Football requires a different set of skills. I'm sure beckham would have a hard time completing a 40 yard pass, between two defenders, with three 250 lb men bearing down on him.

as for the name of the game. Beats me. I alwayd thought the ball looks a bit like a foot... Lmao
    While football isn't the most accurate name, calling it, "Running, passing, punting, kicking, and blocking with some hitting" is just too long to call any sport.

Of course, sometimes the U.S. does things differently simply because it can.
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa
    Maybe the name football is an allusion to the importance of 'measuring' the offenses progress down the feild.

also, the ball is about 12 inches long, so the name makes sense in that regard.

now I gotta go listen to Pachino's 'one inch' speech from any given sunday
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast