Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Age old discussion...

I like both International Football (soccer) and American Football. Both require a large amount of skill and talent to be remotely decent at it. Both require different talent and skill sets.. if you don't have any foot eye coordination, no chance in hell you're gong to play soccer. If you can't be light on your feet and catch at the same time.. no chance you're going to play football. If you can recognize the talent and skill sets required of both.. then both can be equally entertaining to watch.

Dal vs. Wash... *** was Dallas doing? I think it was the Pee Wee league commercial they had.. it devolved their play-making ability to Pee Wee league style...
    Quote Originally Posted by srswarley View Post
    Age old discussion...

I like both International Football (soccer) and American Football. Both require a large amount of skill and talent to be remotely decent at it. Both require different talent and skill sets.. if you don't have any foot eye coordination, no chance in hell you're gong to play soccer. If you can't be light on your feet and catch at the same time.. no chance you're going to play football. If you can recognize the talent and skill sets required of both.. then both can be equally entertaining to watch.

Dal vs. Wash... *** was Dallas doing? I think it was the Pee Wee league commercial they had.. it devolved their play-making ability to Pee Wee league style...
    Yea, they made a lot of mistakes. But to be honest that guy had to attempt that hold on the last play or Romo would have been sacked.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    Yea, they made a lot of mistakes. But to be honest that guy had to attempt that hold on the last play or Romo would have been sacked.
    Agreed. Doesn't look good that he has the worst violation record in the NFL though...
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    As another (British) person with an interest in both camps*, I believe the "foot" part of football comes from the fact that the sports are played on foot, as opposed to on horse (like polo style games), and is thus a game of the common people, rather than the aristocracy. (Edit - see this link for etymolgy).

*I am a season-ticket holder at AFC Wimbledon and a distant follower of the Chicago Bears , and in addition my son plays American Football for the Durham Saints.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    No knocking American football!

<Steelers>
    Love my Black and Gold!
    Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pixi -> Pre -> Pixi -> Sprint Pixi Plus Hybrid -> Pre -> Epic 4G
    COWBOYS COWBOYS COWBOYS

Effff the steelers (notice the little "s" not worth a capitol letter)

nuff said
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by switchedgear View Post
    COWBOYS COWBOYS COWBOYS

Effff the steelers (notice the little "s" not worth a capitol letter)

nuff said
    How many you got?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pixi -> Pre -> Pixi -> Sprint Pixi Plus Hybrid -> Pre -> Epic 4G
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    It took 3 years to fully get the rules after I moved here from England...the commercial breaks provide plenty of time to ask questions , and I couldn't care less about the name anymore. Its strange but I live for the Fall now.

I still prefer my Premiership Footie, as a sport, but American Football is, once you understand the rules, the best sport to watch on TV bar none...unless of course the Falcons are playing the Steelers opening weekend...then its as boring as a Liverpool-Birmingham game
    Last edited by solarus; 09/13/2010 at 09:01 AM.
    Futbol for the Win...
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Googled this one up, and thought it was pretty informative:

Rugby and American football are both offshoots of what we call soccer, which is actually officially called "association football". Rugby's proper name is "rugby football" and American football's original name was "gridiron football." All three originated from variations of similar games that have existed since ancient times in many different cultures. The term "football" actually has nothing to do with the body parts used to move the ball. It actually refers to the fact that the games are played on foot rather than on horseback. So the direct answer would be that all three of them are forms of football.

The modern version of rugby came about when some teams split over tightened soccer rules that eliminated the use of hands in the mid-1800's. The American version of football was primarily played by colleges when it first came about and was mostly an intramural game in which students from the same school played each other. While some colleges adhered to rules similar to soccer others adhered to rules similar to rugby. Once interplay between schools became more common the schools set about to create a unified system of rules. Because most of the more prominent schools played the rugby style rules, "gridiron football" took on many of the characterizations of rugby initially.

Over the years rugby football became just rugby in popular reference and gridiron football came to be referred to as simply football (the original gridiron was replaced by the system of lines and hashmarks to mark the field fairly early on). Similarly, association football is generally referred to as just football, except in America where soccer, which originated as a shortening of the word "association," is used.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    What I like about American football is that it's a total team sport. In a lot of sports, including soccer, basketball, and baseball, one or two good players can carry a team, at least on the offensive end. But in football, the team has to operate as a machine, with each player at the top of his game. A missed block or missed assignment either on offense or defense can result in disaster for your team.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12