Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    What was your first computer?

Mine - Commodore Vic20
    Last edited by NachoB; 09/20/2010 at 07:18 AM.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    trs-80 color computer, tandy
    acer aspire one. i dont count the HP laptop i had for one day, broken outta the box....
    verizon pre 2 - 2.0, stock
    verizon pre plus - 1.4.5 various patches OC'd 1Ghz.
    verizon pixi plus - various patches, OC'd 800 mhz.
    verizon pixi plus - chillin in my sock drawer
    Another Vic20 here!
  5.    #5  
    Showing our age
    Last edited by NachoB; 09/20/2010 at 07:18 AM.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

Palm Pre wallpapers
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    The first computers I worked with and programmed for used punch cards. Just to see if several hundred lines of code (several hundred cards!) you submitted as a job at the university computing center produced any results, or a simple error, you waited. If it was late at night, you might get back something in 30 minutes, so I did my programing a lot in the middle of the night.

Then we started using Apple at the university.

The first computers I used at work were Radio Shack TRS80's (we called them "trash 80's). They had green type screens, we thought we were something when we got amber screens! The disk drives were 12 inch floppies! Nothing but text on the screen, zero graphics.

Then we started using IBM machines, still before Microsoft.

Around that time we started using a program called Lotus 123. You could type the text into columns with Lotus, but you could not draw lines around the cells. Then there was a separate program you ran to enhance the Lotus spreadsheets, it was called WYSIWYG. You could add minimal formatting that printed, but you could not see it on the screen yet.

Then the first spreadsheet software with built in WYSIWYG was Borland's Quattro Pro, that was a good program.

Quattro Pro was not around very long before a relatively unknown software called Microsoft Excel became more popular.

Telling my age yet?

The first computer I owned? It was a Cumulus Workbox SX/40. Check out the picture of the box (we still keep our front door Christmas Wreath in the box in the attic) below and the kick *ss specifications.

The hard drive was huge for its day, and I was told I would NEVER run out of room, ever.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    im impressed, thats actually kinda cool that u kept that!
    verizon pre 2 - 2.0, stock
    verizon pre plus - 1.4.5 various patches OC'd 1Ghz.
    verizon pixi plus - various patches, OC'd 800 mhz.
    verizon pixi plus - chillin in my sock drawer
    Apple //c which was traded in for an IBM PCjr.
    Not sure what it was called, but I think it was a IBM 5150. I actually got to play with an earlier model that was never released to the public, it had a small green screen built into the computer itself. My pops was an engineer @ IBM. I remember this very well because when my father bought me the Vic20 and a TRS-80, I was not allowed to use his PC anymore. Then he got me several other models in between but one of my most memorable is the Pc-at 286. That was groundbreaking and life changing for me .
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bradenfontaine View Post
    im impressed, thats actually kinda cool that u kept that!
    Yea, about a year ago I realized that I might not have that box forever, so I snapped a couple pictures.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyPre View Post
    one of my most memorable is the Pc-at 286. That was groundbreaking and life changing for me.
    We got a ton of these at work when they came out, I remember thinking that how could computers get better than this.
    First one I ever touched used cassette tapes, no way to program it or save anything! LOL

Then a TRS 80 color, early Apples at school.

First I ever bought was in '99 an HP desktop!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Quote Originally Posted by jdod View Post
    We got a ton of these at work when they came out, I remember thinking that how could computers get better than this.

... It was a big thing back then. Then... 386, 486, and then... Pentium? Gosh.. Seems like eternity ago...
    And we're all giving away our ages! LOL

I got to check out ENIAK at The Smithsonian!
  15.    #15  
    First Windows PC I purchased was in 1996-97, a whopping 60mhz Pentium with 700mb HDD. Don't recall amount of RAM. Paid $2,000. OUCH!!
    Prior to that I was using an Amiga 500.
    Last edited by NachoB; 09/20/2010 at 07:19 AM.

Palm Pre wallpapers
    Yeah, I paid over $1,000 for the one I got in '99.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdod View Post
    Then the first spreadsheet software with built in WYSIWYG was Borland's Quattro Pro, that was a good program.

Quattro Pro was not around very long before a relatively unknown software called Microsoft Excel became more popular.

Telling my age yet?
    though some might say BARYE's invention of the zero and his design of the first abacus were more notable milestones in his long and distinguished career, he actually feels some considerable pride in having attended an early introduction of Quattro Pro hosted by Philippe Kahn himself -- who also handed him a free copy. (in a giant box with a thick manual and like a billion floppies inside...).

BARYE has fond memories of it -- and still sometimes uses the modern version (along with WordPerfect).

When his abacus wore out, BARYE initially replaced it with a Coleco Adam. (80 Kbytes of memory, Daisy Wheel printer, high speed memory cassette recorder, word processing software -- all eventually for less than $200 (though $700+ at intro).

Except for one minor flaw, it was brilliant (it began to hard freeze about a month after I bought it, and lots of my work would get lost. A true forerunner of M$ Windows ...)
    Last edited by BARYE; 09/11/2010 at 12:54 AM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    TI 99/4a with tape recorder for storage.
    Last edited by f4systems; 09/11/2010 at 01:18 AM.
    TI-99/4a, with PEB, MBX gaming system, etc. Plus, I still have it and it still works. (I also have a couple emulators on my PCs too.) If it weren't for this computer (which I'll probably always keep), I probably wouldn't have entered the computer and networking field. Once I started programming on the thing, which had an excellent BASIC tutorial book, I pretty much knew what I wanted to do for a living.

I'm actually going through the process of getting rid of my old PCs though. I've pulled all my data off an old 486-66 w/ Windows for Workgroups 3.11. Everything on the entire system can fit on one of my 4 GB flash drives.

Times sure have changed.
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa
    Wow. Times sure have changed. I'm sure we all had our 300 baud modems screaming for the data. Remember those BBS days. PCBoard, RBBS (open source? Quickbasic), Gap BBS, MajorBBS (i think they were the first multiuser consumer BBS software w/ chatrooms and multiplayer games), Fido, GENIE.... Oh the memories... THG, the pirate group, wrote one call Lsd... Times sure have changed...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast