Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I was late coming to computers. My first was a 486, 500GB HD.
    I still remember the first time it asked me; "Are you sure?" I said; 'of course I am!' and hit enter. I wasn't so sure afterall.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    First one I owned was a BBC Model B I bought at launch in 1981.

The first one I used was an ICL 1900 on a programming course in 1969.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    My first computer was an IBM PC JR. It was loaded with extra memory stacked it's side along with a whopping 2400 baud modem.

It was glorious - BBS door games (TRADE WARS!!!!!), talking with people all over via fidonet, downloading ascii **** and other dangerous txt files that told you how to do illegal things like growing hemp in a closet, kings quest. Memories!

Thinking past that my next "milestone" PC was my intel pentium 60mhz. Windows 3.11 for workgroups and a 14.4 modem logging into the fledgling internet, a harddrive with a whopping 500 megabytes of usable space! I still have the hard drive too, I've kept it all these years and it still works. She's plugged into my legacy port and is just as faithful as ever, even if it makes no sense to keep her.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    I remember first using a computer in middle school (mid-eighties). I think it was an Apple. It was a green screen with a cassette drive. Nothing but ASCII.

The first computer I purchased was an ACER something or another that I still have in storage. It had a 386SX processor running at 25mhz. 8mb of RAM and a 100mb hard drive. 2 floppy drives (5.25 and 3.5) and a 24K baud modem (or was it 12K?). IBM DOS 5 or 6 and Windows 3.1. Almost 1K in hard-earned 1992 dollars. I remember buying and installing a math co-processor and thinking I was the man! This just made me realize that that was the first modding I've done!

It's kind of weird that I'm holding more power in the palm of my hand as I type this with my Pre. I never would have thought it to be back in 92.
    Last edited by RafRol; 09/11/2010 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Memory coming back...
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    My first computer was in 1984/85. It was a Sanyo MBC-550. No hard drive, dual 5 1/4" floppies, mono green screen, DOS OS only, no modem. Back then modems were the type you sat the phone into the muffs. It ran at a blazing 2.77 mhz. Yep 2.77! And the best part about it? It only cost $2000 with the dot matrix printer. I think it was a Brother. Wrote my Master's Thesis on that thing, wouldn't have had my career without it, so I guess it was money well spent.
    I bought my first computer in 1987 -- a KayPro PC-XT, 8 MHz, 640 K RAM, 20 MB hard drive, dual 5.25 floppy drives, monochrome monitor (an ugly orange color instead of green). The computer and a dot matrix printer cost about $1800.
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    Commodore 64. I loved loading Telengard and Nukewar up from cassettes. I learned to write in BASIC. My friend also had a C64 but he had an external 5.25 floppy and a cradle modem. I was jealous as hell. We used to visit BBS all the time. Why wasn't that considered internet? It was long before Al "invented" it.

In college, I had an Amstrad computer to do word processing and my first company issued laptop was a TI with a mono screen with a 25 mhz dx processor.

Think I will look for a Telengard emulator now.
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    My first computer was an IBM PC JR. It was loaded with extra memory stacked it's side along with a whopping 2400 baud modem.

It was glorious - BBS door games (TRADE WARS!!!!!), talking with people all over via fidonet, downloading ascii **** and other dangerous txt files that told you how to do illegal things like growing hemp in a closet, kings quest. Memories!

Thinking past that my next "milestone" PC was my intel pentium 60mhz. Windows 3.11 for workgroups and a 14.4 modem logging into the fledgling internet, a harddrive with a whopping 500 megabytes of usable space! I still have the hard drive too, I've kept it all these years and it still works. She's plugged into my legacy port and is just as faithful as ever, even if it makes no sense to keep her.
    BBS days! Me and a buddy ran an (admittedly) crappy bbs back in the late 90's. It was basically a distro for our ansi group.. lol.

The first computer I ever used was an Apple IIe. The first I ever had was a Tandy. I think it was a 286. I do remember when my friend got a pentium and rubbed that in for weeks. The first computer I actually bought was in 98 and we built it custom. I still have the hard drives from all my pc's. (neat little stack in the corner) ahhhhhh good times.
    Lets not forget when there were no built-in modems. When they first appeared, you had to buy a separate componenent, dial your phone, wait for the sound of the other computer and then stick the handset in the little rubber thingy!

And then, of course, came the days of only dial-up!!! HORROR!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    C64
    some company called compaq a 486 - 66 MHz bbs's and binary pics off of newsgroups... LoL ok i was going through first stages of puberty ! lol i hosed my windows 3.1 by mistake trying to play Tie Fighter!!! and thats when i kinda had to learn everything on the fly... and as i broke it LoL
    Commodore 64
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    AST 486/33 with a 500MB hard drive and an unbelievable 8MB of memory. My parents paid $3K for that thing. That computer also heralded in my first pirated game, Wolfenstein 3D. My next door neighbor and I thought it was the shiznit on his 386 and 1 bit sound card until we put it on my 486 with a 16 bit Sound Blaster card...
    My first one, a Commodore 64, I still have it, and it still works
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    Commodore 64 for me as well.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    The Commodore 64 train rolls on....

BC was the first game I remember playing via floppy disk.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    a Gateway desktop back in '99.
    talk about a beast. that thing took up my whole desk and then some
    “We are stronger than we think we are. We have courage that we do not recognize until we need it. We are equal to challenges that we haven't even imagined yet.”
    Commodore 64 with the cassette tapes....there were some bad games in those days, Lemonade Stand, Snoopy Math quiz, can't remember any others of that genre. Then came the 5.25" floppy and some better ones came out. Blue Max, Impossible Mission.

Prior to that my parents bought an Atari 2600 with the standard Space Invaders/Combat cartridge. Hard to believe that that thing cost back then almost the same as a PS3 now.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2˘ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    C64 with the newer 3 1/2 diskette drive. Could not get software b/c the drive was designed for the C128. I learned BASIC programming on it.

I was obsessed with the random # function. I made "games" with random colors, graphics and sounds. Programmed a sound generator once too. Modified what I found in a book.

My best app was a prime number generator that I had to manually up date withthe new numbers to check against.

I was such a geek then. What ever happened to me?!

I still have the C64 downstairs. Hmm...
    Another c64 user with CBM 1541 and datassette 1530.

After that we moved up to a 386DX-25 (full 32 bit buses) with 4 MB RAM, 80 MB HDD and a 2400 baud internal modem.... Life was good!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast