Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This post is actually a two-fold observation.

With regards to being politically correct towards the outside world, i think it can be deadly for us. We're so worried that we may offend our enemies, we tend to stumble over ourselves just to show them we shouldn't be considered so bad in their eyes.

This is the battered wife syndrome.

Complacency = Vulnerability

Also; being politically correct towards anybody is really just to make ourselves feel better about ourselves.

This is subconscious, but real. I think it's disingenuous and should be recognized as such.
    Last edited by dbdoinit; 09/09/2010 at 02:19 PM.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    +1
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    and another +1
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    PC sucks!! and so does being politically correct all the time, which is why I choose to be a pompous jerk All the time
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Therein lies the myth. Just because you don't fall into the pc trap on every issue, does not mean you're a pompous jerk.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Surely the problem is more lack of consistency over the medium-long term? Perhaps also a lack of subtlety, for example lumping huge swathes of people who aren't into the category of "enemies"?
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AOW View Post
    PC sucks!!
    Bloody Mac f*nb*ys get everywhere now!
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    Surely the problem is more lack of consistency over the medium-long term? Perhaps also a lack of subtlety, for example lumping huge swathes of people who aren't into the category of "enemies"?
    One might wish to distinguish between correctness and political correctness. When I think of being over-pc, I think of knee jerk oversensitivity that's uncalled for.

The threat of "lumping huge swathes of people who aren't into the category of "enemies"" is always the reason given - as in the mosque debate.

Turning that debate around for a moment, couldn't you say that pushing for the mosque isn't pc?
    ******** topic. j/k +1

edit: topic is not re-tar-ded it is gay.
    I don't agree that a supposed PC movement has gone too far. In fact, quite the opposite. In my 40 some-odd years, I have never seen as much sanctioned bigotry and prejudice in the US as I have seen in recent history directed toward a specific religious group. Not just man on the street prejudice, but prejudice preached by both religious and political leaders and done so in the public eye with not only near impunity, but also garnering support on a massive scale. Frankly, that is what scares me. First they came for the Jews and I did not speak out because I was not a J e w...

Most would agree that we should engage in serious debate on actual issues and ideas and that adopting a PC position is not helpful...but what is also not helpful is branding open-minded people who reject bigotry as PC in an attempt to dismiss their points of view.

And that's my two cents in this gay topic.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    The threat of "lumping huge swathes of people who aren't into the category of "enemies"" is always the reason given - as in the mosque debate.

Turning that debate around for a moment, couldn't you say that pushing for the mosque isn't pc?
    By "mosque" do you mean the proposed Muslim cultural centre in New York?
    With the right having become so enamored of the term, it's been forgotten that the expression "politically correct" was originally coined by leftists to admonish those within their own ranks who were seen as humorless or overly doctrinaire (hence the pseudo-Maoist tone). Is there a similar self-critical term used by the right?
    In certain dialects of American English, "Ground Zero mosque" refers to a building that isn't a mosque and isn't located at Ground Zero. Sorry for the confusion.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Yes, did I get it wrong? Sorry if I did. Driveby snarking can be messy.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    With the right having become so enamored of the term, it's been forgotten that the expression "politically correct" was originally coined by leftists to admonish those within their own ranks who were seen as humorless or overly doctrinaire (hence the pseudo-Maoist tone). Is there a similar self-critical term used by the right?
    Yes, it's "left wing whack-job".
  16.    #16  
    lmao lol lol
    Yes, political correctness is WAY, WAY overboard here in the U.S. It's ridiculous, and I would love to see vast revolts against it.
    I guess there's no need for self-critical terms in your camp, always being right about everything and all.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    I guess there's no need for self-critical terms in your camp, always being right about everything and all.
    It's not my camp, though I can understand why you'd make that assumption, as I argue their points often. I also argue points for the left.

But I understand. It's much easier to marginalize people when you put them in "camps".
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    In certain dialects of American English, "Ground Zero mosque" refers to a building that isn't a mosque and isn't located at Ground Zero. Sorry for the confusion.
    Ah well, can't expect rational objectivity from "battered wives" can we?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast