Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8131415161718192021 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Americans can't help but take a Christian viewpoint. Despite the supposed division of church and state in this nation you have the government applying it's Christan ideals on gay marriage, stem cell research and many other issues....which I suppose is just fine given the voters asked for it.

But when the same thing goes on to the point that American's want to overturn the rights and freedoms they all seem to hold so dear, everyone is jumping on board.....because a group of terrorists that killed 3000 people shared a related religious philosophy (read: not Christianity) with some folks who want a center of worship near ground zero.

Build it, don't build it, I don't really care. It's not my country, I'm gone the moment it implodes, but if it was my birth nation I would extend the same rights to all it's citizens. If the home grown extremists win this Mosque battle to the point that the President or the supreme court (or whoever has the ability to override your civil liberties in this nation) actually stops it, guess who really loses? you do.
    Wow. A lot of generalities in there. Statistics please.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Americans can't help but take a Christian viewpoint. Despite the supposed division of church and state in this nation you have the government applying it's Christan ideals on gay marriage, stem cell research and many other issues....which I suppose is just fine given the voters asked for it.

But when the same thing goes on to the point that American's want to overturn the rights and freedoms they all seem to hold so dear, everyone is jumping on board.....because a group of terrorists that killed 3000 people shared a related religious philosophy (read: not Christianity) with some folks who want a center of worship near ground zero.

Build it, don't build it, I don't really care. It's not my country, I'm gone the moment it implodes, but if it was my birth nation I would extend the same rights to all it's citizens. If the home grown extremists win this Mosque battle to the point that the President or the supreme court (or whoever has the ability to override your civil liberties in this nation) actually stops it, guess who really loses? you do.
    Your post seems to be predicated on two things: 1) who are the 'home grown extremists"? And 2) what battle would they be winning? I've heard a lot of people say they have the right to build it but they shouldn't. I really haven't heard people of any significant number say that the Fed should step in to stop it.

So, it seems we have two competing constitutional rights: the freedom of religion and the freedom of expression. Both appear to be alive and well in this debate. Seems like American values to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by morrison0880 View Post
    People say stupid ****, but don't pawn off comments made by those with opposite views of yourseld as immature or senseless. I still haven't seen anyone say that a 30 churches or 30 synagogue in 30 days trek through the Middle East would be a peaceful, or even possible venture.
    This reminds me of Newt Gingrich's statement that we'll allow Park41 near Ground Zero when synagogues and Christian churches can be freely built in Saudi Arabia.

But this notion completely misses the point! The reason we are offended that synagogues and churches can't be built freely in Saudi Arabia is that it is contrary to American values to prohibit the free exercise of religion. We don't preserve and protect our values by taking on the behaviors of those who don't share them!

Why isn't this obvious?
    People say stupid ****, but don't pawn off comments made by those with opposite views of yourseld as immature or senseless. I still haven't seen anyone say that a 30 churches or 30 synagogue in 30 days trek through the Middle East would be a peaceful, or even possible venture. Like it or not, the major moving force behind the vast majority of today's religious based violence and terrorism comes out of Islam. Et we continually make excuses for their behavior or try to pacify them whenever they get upset at some blasphemy against their faith. And seriously, when are they not upset? The pastor called off his book burning, and they're still rioting and burning our flag. If anyone really believes that this burning was going to increase the danger to our troops, I have to ask you, how would things have been any different? Would the fundies say, well, at least they haven't threatened to burn our holy book. Maybe we should cut down on the number of sheep we send into a grocery store with bombs strapped to their backs. No, don't need an excuse. They just need a body, a bomb, and some innocent infidels to blow away.
    Come on. They don't get up in arms when their own imams are slaughtered by muslim fanatics, but take the burning as an opportunity to scream Death to America. How can anyone take these simpletons seriously? Better yet, how can anyone defend them when the only enemy the see is big bad America?
    All good points. So why not encourage the building of an Islamic center devoted to the peaceable practice of Islam and the healing of wounds with those of other faiths (or nonbelievers) who are grappling with exactly the questions you pose above?

I have lots of issues with Islamic doctrine (some interpretations of it, anyway) on a personal level. I am by no means a relativist on these matters and I suspect you and I are in complete agreement about those who seek to destroy our secular democracy. I just don't see how it's constructive to shut down those attempting to move the ball a few yards in the other direction.

You said, rhetorically, go to Park51 and just try to say something like the above, and see how it goes. Deal. When it's built I'll do that, and I'll report back here on how it went.
    Quote Originally Posted by sudoer View Post
    I clearly advocate religious tolerance (as does Fisack23) but I also realize (at least conceptually) that Islam "is not your father's Oldsmobile" as far as religions go.

I totally agree with sketch42 and others who have for the most part simply expressed their distrust of Islam based on it's incompatibility with democracy (or really, the other way around). It's amazing that Muslims had to fight to conquer other nations but nowdays we seem to be handing them America on a silver platter due to our apathy.
    A few responses:

I agree completely--as would many Muslims--that *some forms* of Islam are "not your father's Oldsmobile" (though they might not put it that way ).

I also agree that *some forms* of Islam have an uneasy coexistence--at best--with secular democracy.

(Given the reasonableness of those statements, the "handing them America on a silver platter" bit seems pretty over the top.)

What I don't understand is why those who practice and advocate and wish to promote a form of Islam that is "your father's Oldsmobile" as much as that is possible are being pilloried and shut down in a country founded on the principle of religious freedom.

And, no, I don't accept arguments of the form, "Well, they say its mission is to promote moderation, but it's really an extremist mosque." If someone wanted to build an extremist mosque, I don't think they'd go about it this way, do you?

There are about a billion Muslims in the world, in countries stretching from the Philippines to West Africa to the US. Just like Christians and Jews, they live in incredibly varied cultures and practice many different forms of their religion.

If anyone's got their heads in the sand, it's those who say we shouldn't engage with the moderate members of a religion that includes a huge slice of the world's population and geography. Ain't gonna work.
    The majority of Muslims are not terrorists, but the vast majority of terrorists, terrorist sympathizers, and terrorist acts are performed or supported by Muslims. The fact that I, and many others, are constantly pressed to apologize for our opinions on the matter, is no more than PC BS that really gets me going even more. People of your opinion should stop defending Islam, and instead should try to create a movement among moderate, or "normal" Muslims to express their outrage against the actions of these terrorists, and the national/religious leaders who spur it on and allow it to continue.

I, for one, would never ask you to apologize for that opinion, since it's a resonable one to hold. But I remain confused about the second part of your statement (I'm assuming that you oppose Park51, but maybe I'm wrong about that)--the people behind Park51 are trying to create just the movement you describe (and btw, Park51 is further from Ground Zero than the existing mosque in that neighborhood . . . ). Because of a lot of misinformation (disinformation?), that project is being held up, which is just counterproductive.
  7.    #347  
    Since no one else seems to want to take the time to get some facts, here are some that I found - this is from the FBI:

(Sorry for the size of the image!)

Here is the report from Duke University on percentages of terror attacks by Muslims:

http://www.sanford.duke.edu/news/Sch...or_Lessons.pdf

From the US State Department report on terrorism, 2009:

Incidents of Terrorism Worldwide*
    2005 2006 2007 2008 2009
    Attacks worldwide 11,023 14,443 14,435 11,725 10,999
    Attacks resulting in at least 1 death, injury, or kidnapping 7,963 11,278 11,097 8.411 7,875
    Attacks resulting in the death of at least 1 individual 5,083 7,412 7,235 5,045 4,764
    Attacks resulting in the death of 0 individuals 5,940 7,031 7,200 6,680 6,235
    Attacks resulting in the death of only 1 individual 2,853 4,127 3,984 2,870 2,694
    Attacks resulting in the death of at least 10 individuals 226 295 353 234 234
    Attacks resulting in the injury of at least 1 individual 3,805 5,774 6,243 4,869 4,536
    Attacks resulting in the kidnapping of at least 1 individual 1,156 1,343 1,156 961 877
    People killed, injured or kidnapped as a result of terrorism 74,327 74,616 71,856 54,653 58,142
    People worldwide killed as a result of terrorism 14,482 20,515 22,736 15,727 14,971
    People worldwide injured as a result of terrorism 24,795 38,314 44,139 34,057 34,057
    People worldwide kidnapped as a result of terrorism 35,050 15,787 4,981 4,869 4,869

Also from the report:

Approximately 11,000 terrorist attacks occurred in 83 countries during 2009, resulting in over 58,000 victims, including nearly 15,000 fatalities. Attacks decreased by about six percent in 2009 and deaths by about 5 percent. This marks the second consecutive year for declines for both attacks and fatalities. Unlike the preceding four years where the Near East witnessed the largest number of attacks, the largest number of reported terrorist attacks in 2009 occurred in South Asia, which also had, for the second consecutive year, the greatest number of fatalities. Together, South Asia and the Near East were the locations for almost 2/3rds of the 234 high-casualty attacks (those that killed 10 or more people) in 2009.

Sunni extremists were identified with about one-half of all attacks in 2009.

Victims and Targets of Attacks

As has been the case since 2005, substantial numbers of victims of terrorist attacks in 2009 were Muslim.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Fisack23; 09/14/2010 at 09:27 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    All good points. So why not encourage the building of an Islamic center devoted to the peaceable practice of Islam and the healing of wounds with those of other faiths (or nonbelievers) who are grappling with exactly the questions you pose above?
    I look at the pain and anger that is being generated by their building the "Islamic Center" at the location planned, and I think to myself, "Self, if these moderate Muslims really do want to build a bridge of understanding, why can't they understand that their building so near to ground zero offends so many people? Why wouldn't they want to hold up their end of the 'understanding' bridge and simply move it to a more respectable location?" I really don't see why they wouldn't want to do this, as a sign of respect and understanding of the feelings of the non-Muslim Americans. Instead, they forge ahead, painting any opposition, with the help of as many liberal PC allies they can find, as racist, bigoted fear-mongering. They see moving the proposed location as giving into hate, or bartering with Islam, something they just...will...not...stand for. It's a bogus argument, and again shows that any criticism of Muslims or Islam in inexplicably labeled racism so as to shoo it away as quickly as possible. Don't want to offend anyone.

What I don't understand is why those who practice and advocate and wish to promote a form of Islam that is "your father's Oldsmobile" as much as that is possible are being pilloried and shut down in a country founded on the principle of religious freedom.

If anyone's got their heads in the sand, it's those who say we shouldn't engage with the moderate members of a religion that includes a huge slice of the world's population and geography. Ain't gonna work.
    You'll have to excuse my ignorance on the subject, but I wasn't aware that anyone was being pilloried or shut down. As far as I can tell, the majority of the opposition to the mosque is saying that the site should be moved, not that such a center shouldn't be built, now or ever. There are mosques near my home, and as far as I can see, they aren't being burned down or vandalized. The article I posted above, from an Islamic point of view, not a secular or Christian/Jewish standpoint, shows a country that respects moderate Muslims. Why is it always we who need to bend, who need to be open, who need to be PC so we don't offend anyone? Show me the effort on the side of Muslims to engage non-Muslims and show compassion for the feelings and emotions that are being stirred up by this whole mosque business.
    And as far as the whole Middle East is concerned, show me where the outrage and public displays of it are when it comes to Muslims killing, beheading, deforming, repressing, and terrorizing not only the non-Muslim society, but their own people as well! Tell me why it's ok for people to be so angry with one guy's attempt at a publicity stunt in burning the Koran, but no one calls out the Iranian morons issuing fatwas that anyone defacing or burning the book be killed. Where is the outrage about a Christian being sentenced to life because of a blasphemous text msg? Why do we have to sit there and go, "Well, it's their culture, and who are we to say our culture is better? Moral relativity? No thanks. I'll tell you that tossing people in jail for a quarter century because they touched the holy book with soiled hands is insane. I'll tell you that calling for the extermination of an entire race of people isn't really acceptable in the 21st century (or the first for that matter). I'll tell you that rioting and calling for the death of anyone who draws a picture of the main man in your faith is childish foot-stomping, and is just an excuse to break something or blow something up.
    Trust me, I do understand your point, and I'm more than willing to engage anyone in both debate and constructive dialogue. I did just that this weekend. However, don't ever ask me or anyone else with a voice to silence their criticism or hold back from calling out any faith on their hypocrisy. And don't try to tell me that Islam hasn't bred more terrorists than other religion/faith/worldview in today's world. You only sound ridiculous. If you want me to say that those responsible for these acts are perverting the true teaching of the faith, fine, I'll grant you that. If you want me to believe that most Muslims just want to practice their faith in peace, ok I'll bite. Then tell me why this one religion is so easily perverted. Tell me why the same number of people don't pervert Christianity and bomb secular and non-Christian nations/people across the world on a nearly daily basis. Tell me why there aren't a large number of radical, violent Buddhist fundamentalist extremists blowing themselves up in public places to inflict the most carnage possible. Hell, they burn themselves in protest.
    And tell me why, when I ask these questions, I'm labeled a racist. Aren't there Muslims of every race? Why am I labeled a bigot? I don't hate terrorists because of what they believe. I hate them and their beliefs for what they make them do. I don't have a problem with Hindus, because a significant portion of them aren't trying to kill me and those in my culture.
    Just sick and tired of being told I need to be tolerant, with no expectation on the other side.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

I, for one, would never ask you to apologize for that opinion, since it's a resonable one to hold. But I remain confused about the second part of your statement (I'm assuming that you oppose Park51, but maybe I'm wrong about that)--the people behind Park51 are trying to create just the movement you describe (and btw, Park51 is further from Ground Zero than the existing mosque in that neighborhood . . . ). Because of a lot of misinformation (disinformation?), that project is being held up, which is just counterproductive.
    I'm opposed to their determination to build where they are despite the obvious negative emotions it is resulting in. I don't care if it's literally on top of ground zero or a couple of blocks away. Move the damn thing if it's going to tick so many people off. If you want respect, show it in return. I for one don't care if it's built or not. I'm against the idea and the negativity thrown as those who oppose it.
    The majority of my anger doesn't lie in this specific example, but the whole vicious joke as a whole. Respect us as we burn your flags. Make peace with us as we call for your heads. I've listened to and seen so much of this type of garbage that I've become outspoken and suspicious of anyone who calls for me to be a little more PC. If what I have to say insults or outrages a Muslim, perfect. Hopefully that Muslim will be a moderate, and will do a bit of introspection to understand why I say what I do. Some personal responsibility on all sides is needed, and unfortunately, I don't see enough of it being taken by Islam.

Quote Originally Posted by OP
    As has been the case since 2005, substantial numbers of victims of terrorist attacks in 2009 were Muslim.
    "Substantial numbers of victims of terrorist attacks were Muslim."

Do you doubt that ALL the perps were Muslim too? Or do you think there were Americans blowing themselves up in busy markets, restaurants and schools to puposely kill women and children grocery shopping, eating lunch, learning, etc etc.
    Last edited by dbdoinit; 09/14/2010 at 11:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisack23 View Post
    Since no one else seems to want to take the time to get some facts, here are some that I found - this is from the FBI:

Here is the report from Duke University on percentages of terror attacks by Muslims:

2005 2006 2007 2008 2009
    Attacks resulting in at least 1 death, injury, or kidnapping 7,963 11,278 11,097 8.411 7,875
    Attacks resulting in the death of at least 1 individual 5,083 7,412 7,235 5,045 4,764
    Attacks resulting in the death of only 1 individual 2,853 4,127 3,984 2,870 2,694
    Attacks resulting in the injury of at least 1 individual 3,805 5,774 6,243 4,869 4,536
    Attacks resulting in the kidnapping of at least 1 individual 1,156 1,343 1,156 961 877
    People killed, injured or kidnapped as a result of terrorism 74,327 74,616 71,856 54,653 58,142
    People worldwide killed as a result of terrorism 14,482 20,515 22,736 15,727 14,971
    People worldwide injured as a result of terrorism 24,795 38,314 44,139 34,057 34,057
    People worldwide kidnapped as a result of terrorism 35,050 15,787 4,981 4,869 4,869

Also from the report:

Approximately 11,000 terrorist attacks occurred in 83 countries during 2009, resulting in over 58,000 victims, including nearly 15,000 fatalities. Attacks decreased by about six percent in 2009 and deaths by about 5 percent. This marks the second consecutive year for declines for both attacks and fatalities. Unlike the preceding four years where the Near East witnessed the largest number of attacks, the largest number of reported terrorist attacks in 2009 occurred in South Asia, which also had, for the second consecutive year, the greatest number of fatalities. Together, South Asia and the Near East were the locations for almost 2/3rds of the 234 high-casualty attacks (those that killed 10 or more people) in 2009.

First, if you could explain the chart I'd appreciate it. Or give the source so I could check it out. Looks interesting, but I have no idea what it's illustrating.
    Second, the article is an interesting read, but says nothing about the number of Islamic terrorists in the world. It concentrates mainly on homegrown Muslim terrorism, but doesn't give any numbers for the count of terrorists worldwide. Not sure what you're trying to show here either.
    It does say that Muslim Americans have overwhelmingly and vehemently denounce terrorism. How have they done so? By drafting letters or saying so in interviews. Not very public, like say a high profile news conference by religious leaders, or say, a march to DC forcefully denouncing Islamic terrorism in a highly public forum. Written declarations mean little and bring even less attention to one's opinions.
    Finally, I like this sentence from the article:
    "Islam has declared the spilling of blood and the destruction of property as absolute prohibitions until the Day of Judgment."
    Doesn't give me such a warm fuzzy feeling since you could call any time the Day of Judgment, right?

[IMG]LOONWATCH.com[/IMG]

2005 2006 2007 2008 2009

Also from the report:

nice pie chart.. where is the link to the FBI's website showing that chart... last i heard LOONWATCH.com was not the FBI's Official site.

I have one more question to ask...

Lets Travel Back in time to Sept 12th, 2001... How many Americans, Yourself included, would be supporting this Mosque next to ground zero, as a matter of fact How many would support it Jan 1st 2002??? as they continued pulling remains from the towers?

If your answer would be the same than i have no clue what other lies you can tell yourself to believe that.

and if the answer 10% or less than what is different now?? is it the decomposition of the bodies???

The fact is that for the months following the twin towers fall WE Americans where the most UNITED in probably the history of this Great country.

one final thought.

This is not just about Homegrown Terrorism this is about worldwide terrorism due to the Islamic faith measured from today's date going all the way back to the beginning of time.

and dont tell me well Christians did it.. so why not let the Muslims have their heyday too
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    nice pie chart.. where is the link to the FBI's website showing that chart... last i heard LOONWATCH.com was not the FBI's Official site.

I have one more question to ask...

Lets Travel Back in time to Sept 12th, 2001... How many Americans, Yourself included, would be supporting this Mosque next to ground zero, as a matter of fact How many would support it Jan 1st 2002??? as they continued pulling remains from the towers?

If your answer would be the same than i have no clue what other lies you can tell yourself to believe that.

and if the answer 10% or less than what is different now?? is it the decomposition of the bodies???

The fact is that for the months following the twin towers fall WE Americans where the most UNITED in probably the history of this Great country.

one final thought.

This is not just about Homegrown Terrorism this is about worldwide terrorism due to the Islamic faith measured from today's date going all the way back to the beginning of time.

and dont tell me well Christians did it.. so why not let the Muslims have their heyday too
  14.    #354  
    I apologize for not having the link up - here it is:

Fbi Chart | loonwatch.com

It is an FBI chart illustrating the percentage of terrorist attacks on US soil by group from 1980 to 2005. I am looking up the FBI link now.

This is in response to the accusation that Islam produces more terrorists per capita than any other religion. As you can see from the chart, 6% of the attacks were carried out by Muslim extremists. Islam constitutes 21% of the world's population.

Percentage-wise, more terrorist attacks were perpetrated by Jewish extremists - of which Judaism is only .22% of the world's population. (see chart on page 2 of this thread - religion by world population)

Is it possible to stand by the original premise, with these facts from our own government?
    Last edited by Fisack23; 09/14/2010 at 11:15 AM.
    I apologize for not having the link up - here it is:

[url= Chart | loonwatch.com[/url]

It is an FBI chart illustrating the percentage of terrorist attacks worldwide by group from 1980 to 2005.

This is in response to the accusation that Islam produces more terrorists per capita than any other religion. As you can see from the chart, 6% of the attacks were carried out by Muslim extremists. Islam constitutes 21% of the world's population.

Percentage-wise, more terrorist attacks were perpetrated by Jewish extremists - of which Judaism is only .22% of the world's population. (see chart on page 2 of this thread - religion by world population)

Is it possible to stand by the original premise, with these facts from our own government?
    So why didn't you ask for a "Take a J e w out for a bagel day?"
    Quote Originally Posted by dbdoinit View Post
    So why didn't you ask for a "Take a J e w out for a bagel day?"
    I would love a bagel
    I would love a bagel
    Me too.
    The bagels down here in Atlanta aren't anything like the ones we had in Brooklyn.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbdoinit View Post
    Me too.
    The bagels down here in Atlanta aren't anything like the ones we had in Brooklyn.
    my hometown!!!
    my hometown!!!
  20.    #360  
    The chart was compiled from the list at the bottom of this page:

Terrorism 2002/2005

If you disagree with the chart, take the list and compile your own. If you disagree with the list, take it up with the FBI.