Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    i_maq; I think its terrible that you have been subjected to racial profiling and just general public mistrust since 9/11, and I am sure that Islamic communities all over the world are just as angry at al Qaeda and the other extremists groups as anyone.

Many are quick to point out that there are radicals and extremists in every group, religious or otherwise. That is clearly true. BUT, aren't the moderates in any group responsible for reigning in their extremists. Look, there have been many times historically where the extremists took the lead from the moderates (clearly the catholic church has a few historic examples of this, as to others). But it is the job of the moderates to police (not sure if that is a great word) themselves. Just like Obama called that pastor that wanted to burn the Koran and basically begged him not to do it, although it was his legal right to do so, Obama was keeping americans in order. Controlling extremists is part of the job. Islam's failure to keep their extremists in line is something that separates them (at the current time) from the other major world religions/groups.

More on point: I'd be happy to take any moderate Muslim to lunch, we have lots to talk about!
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    I think the problem here is media coverage, or the lack of it. I don't mean to come across as a cynic, but what sells more papers, a story about a bunch of angry people burning a US flag? Or the Prime Minister of Pakistan condemning the terrorism, like President Obama? It happens, it's being covered, just not in any of the western media.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    go to a catholic church and speak about Mohamed. Or Buddha? Jesus is the most quoted prophet in the koran. You side is no better than the other.
    TERRORIST ARE BAD ON BOTH SIDES. This is true. NO RELIGION is better than another. This is true. You can't say that can you?
    Your last few comments seem like jibberish to me. Could you explain this post to me? I think you're backing up my assertion that the mosque (or library, workout center, all-in-all fun zone) will not tolerate people trying to spread any other faith. Just as a church probably wouldn't tolerate someone going in and preaching about Islam. Nor should they. If the "cultural center" is just that, there should be no problem with someone going in and preaching about a faith other than Islam, correct?
    And when a religion preaches intolerance, sexism, and causes people, gov'ts and the law to enforce these religious laws beyond any rational understanding of human rights, is pitted against a religion that teaches peace, understanding, equality, and the golden rule (nearly identical to Kant's categorical imperative if you're adverse to religious ideals being extended to secular society), then yes, I think I can say that one religion is better than another. I'd be willing to stack nearly any of the worlds major religions up against Islam to compare how that faith compares, both ethically and how is shapes the culture which adapts it, and I'd take the former over Islam any day.
    That is, unless this makes perfect sense to you. Then I guess we're just talking past each other.
    PAKISTAN Karachi, a Christian sentenced to life imprisonment for blasphemy - Asia News
    or maybe this is logical to you.
    PAKISTAN Punjab: Christian couple touches Qur‘an with dirty hands, gets 25 years in prison - Asia News
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, “I don't need to drink to have fun.” Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Obama calling the nut pastor in Florida begging him not to burn the Koran.... talk about irony.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    I may have missed it if you've commented on this, so please excuse me if that's the case, but what was your take on this Florida minister that was threatening to burn the Koran on Saturday?
    he had every right to do so. just like the guy down my block has the right to post racial slurs on his garage door.

Although he is a moron. He is a homophobe and his parishners are sheep to follow a man with his past. They will do anything he says cause he is gods messenger.
    Just like the other gods messangers, who heard about it and got ****ed and had their sheep(who would do anything for their god), do horrible things in which people got hurt. So what we witnessed was the actions of a few morons who stirred up a bunch of sheep. On both sides. and people got hurt.
    I was widely impressed by the sizeable protests of the copycat in amarillo. what fun to day "dude, you have no koran"
    The nut jobs are the racist, bigots. Which ever god you choose should help you if you ever have a child with a disability. Because those who hate based on race, religion or sex can justify hating anything that isn't just like themselves.

Someone was born into a family that is Muslim. So their crime was birth? Your a moron if you think so.
    You are right. A moron would think so. The truth is that the crime is that the parents raised their kid to be a fundamentalist radical Muslim.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, “I don't need to drink to have fun.” Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

so was forcing children to work and not allowing women the right to vote. So was slavery. Lets just keep everyone (like us) safe and institute an all-white all-christian America!

Here is a guy who knew a little something about using a flag to institute widespread hate. Must have been onto something there eh?

Ya know, he was able to keep them safe from a lot of the crimes of the jews, gypsies, and gays.
    And this one you're really going to have to clarify who your attacking. Are you comparing fundamentalist islamic gov'ts like Iran or Somalia? Perhaps the taliban? I know you're not comparing the US or other non-Islamic religions to ****** and the ****s, right?

People: Dialog and debate are good things. Lets not resort to calling each other morons and ****s. There is some legitimacy on both sides of this and most arguments. If you just want to say your piece without listening, go write on a blog, we would be better served to have a conversation where we listen to each others points.
    Quote Originally Posted by morrison0880 View Post
    Ah, the peaceful religion. Don't simply be angry or denounce those who deface or burn the koran. Don't try to bridge the gap between faiths and cultures by explaining how this action so harshly affects a Muslim. Don't simply turn the other cheek.
    [url= Ayatollahs Issue Fatwas Calling for Killing Those Who Burn the Koran - Bloomberg[/url]
    people who keep saying the muslim reiligion is bad, because it's not "tolerant" is really just making the case for me. I am certain you hold no qualifications to tell me what the muslim religion preaches, and you attempting to do show leaves your ignorance out for all to see. Their are nuts in every religion, the bible has passages that state clearly

“Women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the Law says. If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church.” ----1 Corinthians 14:34-35

woman can't speak in church? I'm no expert, I have read it in basic training, but I'm not stupid enough to say this is what christianity is about. It also says

Blows and wounds cleanse away evil, and beatings purge the inmost being.
    — Proverbs 20:30

there are some churches that may have differant understandings of this...
    And this one you're really going to have to clarify who your attacking. Are you comparing fundamentalist islamic gov'ts like Iran or Somalia? Perhaps the taliban? I know you're not comparing the US or other non-Islamic religions to ****** and the ****s, right?
    I'm saying ****** said all jews were bad. Those saying all muslims are bad have that stupid bone in common with the man.
    You are right. A moron would think so. The truth is that the crime is that the parents raised their kid to be a fundamentalist radical Muslim.
    what both sides can't be wrong? 2 wrongs making rights in your world?
    Quote Originally Posted by i_maq View Post
    I was on here trying to find out what time everyone would be spamming Verizon and ATT's twitter accounts (UK time, wasn't quite sure) when I happened across this thread. As happens on all forums I'm on, try as I might, i can't ignore threads about Islam!! As for the main topic in this thread, the only response worth giving is that Muslims, like all other people, LOVE free lunch. As for the other responses I've read, there are some mature and heartening posts, and some not so mature and not so heartening responses. Since September 11th ( I was at school on the day) a number of people have stopped seeing us as regular law abiding tax paying citizens trying to do the best we can for our families, and instead see us as something much scarier, as though there is some kind of terrorist laying dormant in all of us. And it's not a comfortable way to be viewed.

I was home on the day of the 7/7 bombings in London, by chance, as I'd normally have been out, travelling on one of the routes that was bombed. The following Monday I left for college, rucksack full of books on art and architecture, and having everyone move away from me on the train wasn't the best feeling in the world. Like everyone else, I was scared of getting on the trains after the attacks, but that didn't matter, I LOOKED like a terrorist, dark skin, male, stubble, rucksack, that's all it took for ordinary citizens to fear for their lives. After that I was stopped and searched by the police numerous times, in public, as a show of security. I was made an example of, to make everyone else feel better, the police-woman's own words, again, not the best feeling in the world, knowing people are looking at you as they walk by, knowing what they think about you.

A group of twisted, misguided, extremist psychos who in one fell swoop on 9/11 destroyed so many lives, destroyed what so many Muslims have spent years trying to build abroad, in the States, in the Uk and Europe continue to kill vulnerable Muslims in their own countries. The Taliban/Al Qaida etc are becoming less and less relevant, the world is moving on and no one cares for egotistical chauvinistic warlords any more, they needed a way of staying on top and making people fear them, in their desperation, they are killing Muslims, and in doing so, are showing themselves for what they really are. If they were fighting for Islam, they wouldn't be killing innocent Muslims.
    Thanks, although unless the story can cause some kind of uproar and sell papers, I doubt you will hear about it in the media.
    No thanks, hairgel isn't cheap around these parts.
    You might have us confused with Hindu's, you know, those other brown people from the same part of the world, they don't eat beef, I'm Muslim and I love cheeseburgers, as long as they're halal What has this got to do with anything? He'd probably get the same reaction as I would if I walked into a church or synagogue and tried to spread the message of Islam

Now, where's the WebOS 2.0 talk at!
    I have never said that every Muslim was a terrorist. That would be foolish. Again, what I am saying is that Islam produces a disproportionate number of terrorists when compared to the other major world religions. And my comment that you quoted, I will respond again. You are backing up my assertion that the Cultural Center is in fact a mosque. Of course Muslims in their place of worship should shun anyone trying to preach another religion. As should Christians/Jews/Buddhists/ etc. The point is that everyone is saying it is more than a mosque, when in reality we all know the truth, as you've just demonstrated.
    I had a rather intense argument with a Muslim friend of mine over the weekend on what is being talked about here, and pretty much everywhere else. (Heated in terms of arguing, not fighting. Some have a problem separating the two.) Then he stepped back and pointed me to the following story. Pay close attention to how these Muslims were treated by the non-Muslims they came across.
    Two US Muslims Visit 30 Mosques in 30 US States During Ramadan | USA | English
    His point was that painting an entire religion as evil based on the actions of a tiny (or in my opinion, significant and growing) minority was wrong, but so was everyone who claimed that America has Islamophobia, and all country Christians are racist bigots who want all Muslims wiped out. He makes a good point.
    So tell me...could you see the same experiment succeeding in, say, Iran? Or Somalia? Or Afghanistan? Or pretty much anywhere in the Middle East? Look at your answer and think about the implications carefully, and then tell me that it's a tiny percentage of Muslims who act or feel the same way as the terrorists all around the globe.

This thread is a PERFECT demonstration of what our enemies (or whoever you want to call them) want to do to us.

Divide and conquer.

I thought we were smarter than to fall for it.
    I guess not.
    Jesus is the most quoted prophet in the koran. You side is no better than the other.
    So you do know about Islam then??? So why don't you tells us how allah refers to Jews and Christians as apes and pigs plus in Saudi Arabia it's part of their education.
    people who keep saying the muslim reiligion is bad, because it's not "tolerant" is really just making the case for me. I am certain you hold no qualifications to tell me what the muslim religion preaches, and you attempting to do show leaves your ignorance out for all to see. Their are nuts in every religion, the bible has passages that state clearly

“Women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the Law says. If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church.” ----1 Corinthians 14:34-35

woman can't speak in church? I'm no expert, I have read it in basic training, but I'm not stupid enough to say this is what christianity is about. It also says

Blows and wounds cleanse away evil, and beatings purge the inmost being.
    — Proverbs 20:30

there are some churches that may have differant understandings of this...
    Really no reason for you to attack me personally, especially considering you know absolutely nothing about be aside from my posts on this site. No, I would not consider myself an expert on the Muslim faith. It was not my emphasis in school. Although I do think I have a halfway decent general knowledge of religion, seeing as I have a double-major in Philosophy/Religious Studies. Minor in mathematics, yeah, I know, makes sense.
    So, if you could, point me to a couple of instances in the Koran where it makes reference to women in a positive light, even praising their virtues and equating them to men. I'm sure you will have no problem finding the same subjects in the New Testament. And if forbidding women to speak at church is the worst offense against women that you can find in the NT, I'd say you've proven your point.

what both sides can't be wrong? 2 wrongs making rights in your world?
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    That's funny. I was thinking the same thing about your comment... with all due respect.
    You're a moderator of this forum?
    Quote Originally Posted by darkzone View Post
    So why don't you tells us how allah refers to Jews and Christians as apes and pigs plus in Saudi Arabia it's part of their education.
    Do you actually believe that? Please by all means quote the exact part where that is said...
    btw, nice touch calling it a library and a fitness center before also adding that it is a mosque. Do me a favor...go into this mosque and try spreading the word of Christianity, or better yet judaism and let me know how accepted you are.
    Since Park51 is intended to promote interfaith dialogue, that would probably go over just fine. Maybe when it gets built, you should visit.

But I guess we can't trust anything a Muslim says (even that Rahul Sood on the front page of PreCentral seems a bit suspicious to me), and it's probably correct that they're building a terrorist nerve center by publicizing the project in the media, and now that the eyes of the world are on them, who knows what they'll do?
    New idea: Since Christopher Colombus, the Pilgrims and even the American government killed off most of the Native American peoples there can be no churches where any Native American has died. Also Colombus Day must be cancelled in the interests of being sensitive to the Native American people.