Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314151617 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 240 of 402
  1. #221  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbdoinit View Post
    - dbdoinit
    Best quote in this thread!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  2.    #222  
    Interesting development throughout this thread - a thread started to encourage the letting go of prejudices and to take responsibility for getting to know those others with whom we share planet Earth.

    I can see that it was not entirely successful. There have been moments of maturity scattered throughout, though. I am glad of that.

    It seems that the devout Christians and the devout Muslims that have posted on this topic have actually made some headway - there is honest, hopeful conversation here. It also appears evident that there are persons who have no interest in waging peace, and would rather hide behind old prejudices. Whether it is Christian vs. Muslim, Muslim vs. Christian, Christian vs. atheist, or atheist vs. religious people, the Straw Man is still a fallacious argument.

    So maybe a new question is in order - what would Jesus and Mohammed say to their followers right now? (Is it too much to ask for intelligent answers only?)
  3. #223  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisack23
    So maybe a new question is in order - what would Jesus and Mohammed say to their followers right now? (Is it too much to ask for intelligent answers only?)
    Let me guess-

    The intelligent answers will be the ones that make sense to YOU, right?
  4. #224  
    I think they would say to each other:

    "your back 9 wasn't so hot today, work stressing you out?"

    "yeah, I have this insane case load.. Ya know people think they deserve salvation because they spent an hour a week listening to people talk about how forgiving and loving I am, but then they go home and and call their neighbors terrorists and **** behind their backs.... Intolerant aholes"

    "you think that's bad J-man? I got these ******s stoning a woman for meeting someone after her husband died... Are you kidding me?"

    "well I guess it's for the best, mo... If we had more people doing the right thing down there... We might not have room for as many nice golf courses up here ya know?"
    Last edited by mrloserpunk; 09/11/2010 at 12:09 PM.
  5.    #225  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbdoinit View Post
    Let me guess-

    The intelligent answers will be the ones that make sense to YOU, right?
    The intelligent answers come from those that show a willingness to listen to an opposing viewpoint and make their response based upon reason, not insult. Two (or more) intelligent people can disagree strongly on a subject that is close to their hearts, and still be human towards each other.
  6.    #226  
    Just to clarify, the topic of this discussion was "Take a Muslim to lunch", not "Take a terrorist to lunch". I do not and will not condone terrorism. What I am advocating is letting go of stereotypes to encourage respect for each other. Who knows? You might just find that your stereotypes are wrong, and you could actually make a new friend!
  7.    #227  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    I think they would say to each other
    "your back 9 wasn't so hot today, work stressing you out?"
    "yeah, I have this insane case load.. Ya know people think they deserve salvation because they spent an hour a week listening to people talk about how forgiving and loving I am, but then they go home and and call their neighbors terrorists and **** behind their backs.... Intolerant aholes"
    "you think that's bad J-man? I got these ******s stoning a woman for meeting someone after her husband died... Are you kidding me?"
    "well I guess it's for the best, mo... If we had more people doing the right thing down there... We might not have room for as many nice golf courses up here ya know?"
    A good first draft - very balanced. Compassionate and yet insulting on many levels!

    Anyone else want to take a stab? (Maybe a poor choice of wording!)
  8. #228  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisack23 View Post
    Just to clarify, the topic of this discussion was "Take a Muslim to lunch", not "Take a terrorist to lunch". I do not and will not condone terrorism. What I am advocating is letting go of stereotypes to encourage respect for each other. Who knows? You might just find that your stereotypes are wrong, and you could actually make a new friend!
    A new friend? How about a wife?

    I'm in an inter-racial marriage at the expense of losing alot of my family because of it. I'm the LAST person to preach open-mindedness to.
    Last edited by dbdoinit; 09/11/2010 at 11:16 AM.
  9.    #229  
    Congratulations on your marriage! I hope things work out for the close-minded persons in your families.

    Does this mean that you are open-minded about everything? God, politics, Palestinian rights, New York Yankees? Open-mindedness in one venue does not correlate to open-mindedness in all venues. For instance, I am very open-minded about race relations, but very close-minded about sexual morals. I don't want to share my wife with anyone!
  10. #230  
    Palestinian rights LOL....
  11. #231  
    Quote Originally Posted by darkzone View Post
    Palestinian rights LOL....
    or lack there of.
  12. groovy's Avatar
    Posts
    941 Posts
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    #232  
    There is a reason that appeal to hypocrisy is considered a logical fallacy: it means nothing, it proves nothing, in resolves nothing to say "you do it too". It only seeks to excuse or divert attention from one party by pointing to similar but often unrelated actions by other parties. Attacks on planned parenthood clinics by Christian extremists, for example, have little to nothing to do with attacks by Islamist extremists. In fact, the two groups would probably be in some agreement on the abortion issue. However, the former is often trotted out as a "defense" or distraction when people bring up the latter. Yes, everyone is a hypocrite. Everyone! So now what? Does pointing out the evils done by others relieve us from the duties of addressing the evils done by our own? No, it does not. But aren't we capable of acknowledging both? I think we are.
  13. #233  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    or lack there of.
    Sure always the victim....
  14. irateb's Avatar
    Posts
    257 Posts
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    #234  
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    There is a reason that appeal to hypocrisy is considered a logical fallacy: it means nothing, it proves nothing, in resolves nothing to say "you do it too". It only seeks to excuse or divert attention from one party by pointing to similar but often unrelated actions by other parties. Attacks on planned parenthood clinics by Christian extremists, for example, have little to nothing to do with attacks by Islamist extremists. In fact, the two groups would probably be in some agreement on the abortion issue. However, the former is often trotted out as a "defense" or distraction when people bring up the latter. Yes, everyone is a hypocrite. Everyone! So now what? Does pointing out the evils done by others relieve us from the duties of addressing the evils done by our own? No, it does not. But aren't we capable of acknowledging both? I think we are.
    Very well stated. The problem is that, and you've probably seen it littered through this thread, we apparently aren't capable of acknowledging both...
  15. #235  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    wait.... muslims don't like cheeseburgers and beer? seriously?
    Have you ever seen a Muslim eat a cheeseburger or drink beer? Neither have I, with all do respect that is enough of a reason to say no.....now if you find one that does I will buy them a cheeseburger and the first round.
  16. #236  
    Quote Originally Posted by switchedgear View Post
    Have you ever seen a Muslim eat a cheeseburger or drink beer? Neither have I, with all do respect that is enough of a reason to say no.....now if you find one that does I will buy them a cheeseburger and the first round.
    I've seen it. I just thought they couldn't eat pork.
  17. #237  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbdoinit View Post
    A new friend? How about a wife?

    I'm in an inter-racial marriage at the expense of losing alot of my family because of it. I'm the LAST person to preach open-mindedness to.
    if your a lama is your wife a zebra ?? i can see the troubles in the family just begging to rage !! lol ltm ltm lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  18. #238  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    if your a lama is your wife a zebra ?? i can see the troubles in the family just begging to rage !! lol ltm ltm lol
    LoL LoL
  19. #239  
    ltm ltm lol lol lol lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  20. #240  
    Quote Originally Posted by switchedgear View Post
    Have you ever seen a Muslim eat a cheeseburger or drink beer? Neither have I, with all do respect that is enough of a reason to say no.....now if you find one that does I will buy them a cheeseburger and the first round.
    They can eat hamburgers (in fact many do), just not pork. They just can't drink alcohol because their religion forbids it.

Posting Permissions