View Poll Results: experience with walmart?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • never had bad experience

10 43.48%
  • hate walmart, terrible service

12 52.17%
  • never been in there, just go to bestbuy

1 4.35%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    Will somebody please explain to me why there is such fixation on Walmart by the liberal left? You'd think there was nothing left of small business America, that Walmart destroyed it all.

You guys really should take the blinders off and look around a bit more.
    Please read my comments just above.. However, do you know that approx 40% of Walmart employees are on MEDICAID, b/c they cannot afford the crummy medical benefits with a very high deductible that Walmart begrudging offers.

Keep in mind I was self employed and was therefore management, and I still think Walmart screws it's employees over. My company was a small company, we were only 6 employees and we all had med ins, with me paying all but $25 a month and the annual deductible for the employee was $100, not over $1,000 such as Walmart & Sam's club offer.

However, why should the tax payer have to pay MEDICAID benefits b/c Walmart's benefits package is so awful and expensive????????

take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    If we want to talk about American manufacturing why don't we talk about smoking. Tobacco was the foundation of the country and in the past 10 years state and federal governments have completely destroyed the industry with taxation and moral objection. In the state of Pennsylvania I can only smoke indoors when I am at home (which I CHOOSE not to do) or at a bar which serves an arbitrary amount of alcohol per amount of food. Plus I have to pay almost $6.00 a pack for cigs which less than half goes to the company that actually makes the product.
    Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pixi -> Pre -> Pixi -> Sprint Pixi Plus Hybrid -> Pre -> Epic 4G
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    bestbuy is stupid!

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by chad4359 View Post
    If we want to talk about American manufacturing why don't we talk about smoking. Tobacco was the foundation of the country and in the past 10 years state and federal governments have completely destroyed the industry with taxation and moral objection. In the state of Pennsylvania I can only smoke indoors when I am at home (which I CHOOSE not to do) or at a bar which serves an arbitrary amount of alcohol per amount of food. Plus I have to pay almost $6.00 a pack for cigs which less than half goes to the company that actually makes the product.
    Hi,

I beg to differ with you on that one!

My aunt died from emphysema after 50 years of 2 packs a day....the toll to our family was horredious...she ended up with steroid psychosis from the Predinose....

Which means, it was as if she was bipolar, in the mania phase all of the time for almost 3 years until she died....yet it was the only Rx that help her breath....she threw hissy fits over nothing, screaming throwing things, (and the screaming lasted for hours) and that was the medication doing it, b/c she was the most wonderful and caring person I have ever known

It was so physically and mentally draining, that we all had to take turns as care giver...

.....it cost tens of thousands of $ for her health from Medicare, and her co insurance not to mention the 3 heart surgeries she needed due to smoking, as well as by pass surgery for her legs, also due to smoking, .........It also drained her family financially for her to die a painful and awful death....

I no longer know anyone who does smioke.....BTW don't complain about $6 a pack, it is over $11 in NYC!

Why shouldn't the states get back much of the money in high tobacco taxes, to replenish the humongous amount of $ it cost Medicaid...since the lower your income the more likely you are to smoke and much of Medicaid $ comes from the state??????????

After all, smoking doubles your chance to get pancreatic cancer, along with moderate drinking it doubles again...it also raises your chance of breast cancer, cancer of the mouth and on and on...

I hate to preach, but I saw my aunt literally fall apart due to her addiction to nicotine.....it is a shame she was not able to stop years before she became ill........the cost to society for long term health care from smoking is astounding. Especially since it ends up come from Medicare or Medicaid....

The costs of smoking related illness is more than what society gained from corporate taxes and employee income taxes. Don't forget, that every time tobacco fields are treated with insecticide, residents are being exposed to toxic chemicals, that effect health care costs, even if the never smoked!

While you may be shelling out way more than you think you should, smoking cost the rest of us, who don't smoke billions of $ a year in medical costs & lost productivity! Let alone the personal toll it takes from you when and if you become ill.

Smoking is raising the costs of medical insurance for all of us...as the baby boomer's age into Medicare, Medicare will be hit with a tidal wave of smokers, who statically speaking will help drain the Medicare "trust funds"

Do you know that with in 2 years of the tobacco company execs who lied in front of congress, when they said, tobacco isn't addicting, (even though they knew they were adding nicotine to tobacco products and lying about it), half of them were dead all from tobacco related issues...in that case they kind of got what they deserve....

I know know you, but I am begging you to please value your own health and you self and please quit smoking!

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    Micael,

The point of my post has little to do with the concern over big-box stores wiping out small businesses but rather Wal-Mart's determined destruction of American Manufacturers in pursuit of te lowest possible costs for the goods they carry.

When Sam Walton was alive, his philosophy was to "Buy American!" but after his death the family did a 180 with the company and began demanding lower and lower prices for the goods they purchased, encouraging American companies to move their factories overseas to get their prices down.

So if anyone should be taking their blinders off, please look within and let us know if a "fixation" on good paying American manufacturing jobs is a healthy one to have.
    The mindset at WalMart is that it should be continually trying to improve its internal processes, products and services. It also expects its suppliers to do the same and that if they are doing that, they should be either reducing the prices of static products or improving them to create more value for the end customer. That philosophy was in place when Sam Walton was running the company and that really hasn't changed. Off-shoring is the lazy way for the suppliers to achieve that goal. You can still find US made products at WalMart. They may not be the cheapest items in their categories, but they are usually near the top for quality & value. Customer service has slipped since Sam Walton's death though. Some of that is probably due to the fact that he would do random store visits as a customer and that scared the crap out of the managers. The replacement wasn't as revered.

Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    Will somebody please explain to me why there is such fixation on Walmart by the liberal left? You'd think there was nothing left of small business America, that Walmart destroyed it all.

You guys really should take the blinders off and look around a bit more.
    They're a non-union shop. The anti-WalMart rhetoric didn't really get going until they started moving into the Rust Belt/NorthEast. Before then everyone seemed to consider WalMart to be great because they helped people with their budgets. IMHO, the stories of WalMart moving into a small towns and running all the businesses under are exaggerated. The cities that they move into aren't what I would consider small and they would often already had a few similar national or regional retailers already in business in the area. Those would be the ones that would take the hit. I remember my ex-wife's family complaining about bad the retailers were in the area and wished that WalMart would put a store in the area. When they did, it was like night & day comparison with the other big box competitors. Their prices were better on most items, the stores were better stocked & organized, and the customer service was superior. K-Mart, Target, Shopko, Sears, etc were forced to step up their game or they would have to close the store.

As far as in depth, technical customer service, they and any other big box retailer aren't the place to go. The category coverage is wide, but the selection in a particular category isn't very deep. One would be better off going to a store that specializes in a particular category.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Please read my comments just above.. However, do you know that approx 40% of Walmart employees are on MEDICAID, b/c they cannot afford the crummy medical benefits with a very high deductible that Walmart begrudging offers.

Keep in mind I was self employed and was therefore management, and I still think Walmart screws it's employees over. My company was a small company, we were only 6 employees and we all had med ins, with me paying all but $25 a month and the annual deductible for the employee was $100, not over $1,000 such as Walmart & Sam's club offer.

However, why should the tax payer have to pay MEDICAID benefits b/c Walmart's benefits package is so awful and expensive????????

take care, Jay
    That's mainly due to a large percentage of their employees being part timers. A cousin of mine has been a full time WalMart store employee for several years and hasn't complained about the benefits package when the topic was brought up in the past.
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    That's mainly due to a large percentage of their employees being part timers. A cousin of mine has been a full time WalMart store employee for several years and hasn't complained about the benefits package when the topic was brought up in the past.
    hi,

That is the point, you hit the nail on the head......they are deliberately using a huge number of part timers, in order not to have to give much in benifits...it is shocking when you see how much money the Sam's 3 living children make a year...they are truly in the Forbes top 50 richest people.

The Walton's and Walmart/Sam's club found a way to rape the govenemt.....pay your employees very little, keep most of them as part time, and then get the government to pick up the med ins for 40% of it work force...

As I illustrated above, Costco is making a very nice profit and the have mostly full timers, (even part timers get benefit, they don't have to be on the Medicaid roles)....

Costco is easily paying double if not close to triple for it's topped out emloyees...and Costco still not just is profitable, they are the most profitable of all of the "wholesale shopping clubs"......(that is just comparing hourly wages...the twice a year bonus rate increase with each year you are there....BTW that is what Costco pays the sales associates..imagne how well the store manager does)! The benefits package handbook for Costco is easily 50 to 75 pages long...Walmart's seems to be, go to the local Medicaid office!

Therefore, there is no excise for Walmart to pay so little and give little in benefits.

It wouldn't both me so much if they weren't dumping the costs of more than a third of it's work force on the taxpayers, while Sam's daughter is spending hundreds of millions of $ building a museum in her home town, no matter what she puts in the museum, Arkansas isn't exactly the most visited state for the arts....

Frankly I couldn't sleep at nite, treating my employees that way! To me it seems that, Nero fiddled while Rome burned.

If you find the sales associates giving you poor service, it is indicative of the fact they are drawing upon a group of people, who are under paid, shafted on benefits, and have a lower education than other firms....

Take care,

Jay

PS When my G/F and I marry I will get the same benefits as she for a very small co pay....also not the case at Walmart...another thing to keep in mind,
    their home brand products always top at or near the top of the list on Consumer reports....
    Quote Originally Posted by chad4359 View Post
    if only we could get more american asbestos manufactures back from bankruptcy.

How about those that choose to smoke can smoke in public, but If in that public place, I get cancer, and I can prove you smoked there even once, I get to sue you. Damages increased based on the amount of times you smoked in my presence?

Or wait, how about you smoke in your own space without risking me or my families health, and you pay a large premium to kill yourself so when you get cancer and rely on medicare/medicaid all the other tax payers don't get totally screwed?

Choice B seems like a better bet for John Q Public.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12