1.    #1  
    Hi all,

FYI.

Take care,

Jay

Oracle Offered Job to Ex - HP CEO Hurd Says Source

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2010/...gewanted=print

By REUTERS, September 5, 2010, Filed at 1:27 p.m. ET

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Oracle Corp has offered a job to Mark Hurd, the former chief executive of Hewlett-Packard Co who resigned amid a scandal involving inaccurate expense receipts related to a female contractor, according to a source familiar with the situation.

The source said a final decision has not yet been made. Oracle was not immediately available for a comment.

Hurd resigned on August 6, after a probe into sexual harassment allegations. HP said he filed inaccurate expense reports related to Jodie Fisher, a marketing contractor who worked for Hurd's office from 2007 through 2009.

A separate source had previously told Reuters that Hurd had received job overtures from private equity firms and public companies immediately after his shocking departure from HP, the world's largest technology company by revenue.

It was unclear what job Hurd was offered.

On August 9, Oracle CEO Larry Ellison, in a letter, slammed HP's decision to oust Hurd, his close friend, calling the actions of HP's board "cowardly.

Shares of HP are down 13 percent since Hurd's resignation. Plucked from relative obscurity to head HP, Hurd is credited with resuscitating the technology giant by cutting costs and pursuing ambitious acquisitions.

HP said the expense reports were meant to hide a "close personal relationship" with Fisher, a sometime actress who has appeared in television shows and movies.

(Reporting by Ritsuko Ando, additional reporting by Jonathan Spicer, editing by Maureen Bavdek and Marguerita Choy)
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    haha... You beat me on this one Jay. I posted it from the mobile site and didn't see you had already found it. As I said in the other post this would be proof that boardrooms can/will overlook anything!
    This is interesting. I thought HP was doing everything they could to muscle in on Oracle's business. Then we find out he and Larry Ellison are best friends. Hmmm
    It doesnt matter, I think the whole thing was a cover up I mean have you seen that girl? I wouldnt give her my half eaten cheeseburger if she was homeless! She has serious "but her face", the is no way Hurd had anything going on with that lady!
    Isnt Hurd buddies with the Oracle ceo. I remember him defending Hurd after the news broke out.
    best friends. I unddrtand that hurds new job it to swab the deck of Ellison's boat, and to find women for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by switchedgear View Post
    It doesnt matter, I think the whole thing was a cover up I mean have you seen that girl? I wouldnt give her my half eaten cheeseburger if she was homeless! She has serious "but her face", the is no way Hurd had anything going on with that lady!
    obciously you are very young. To anyone over 40... We would disagree with you.
    if HP went below 35 I had been expecting that Oracle would attempt to buy HP -- primarily for EDS -- putting Hurd in charge, and eventually disgorging most of the rest (especially divisions focused on consumer and hardware stuff).

August 20

Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    I agree with you, mostly -- but if HPQ falls to 35 I'd be pretty willing to bet cash money that Larry buys it at 50+ for Oracle -- and then gives the management of the HP division to Hurd.

Not much antitrust overlap for Larry -- where as M$ couldn't do it even if they wanted to (and they don't). IBM also doesn't want it. (but FTC headaches for either M$ or IBM)

Larry would slash jobs and divisions even more fiercely than Hurd the Turd or Fiorina the Terrible.

The biggest barrier for Larry would be the FTC's potential objection to merging Oracle with HP's services division (the recently acquired EDS). But that's likely surmountable. Truth is Larry really only wants EDS -- and would likely disgorge most everything else.

(The contrary view is that Larry's recent acquisition of Sun (and its Java patents) makes for too much corporate absorption in one year. HP's size -- along with Sun, might even give Larry the big boa constrictor, some pause.)
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    I have to agree with him worker. I do not find her attractive at all. i'm 39 so I feel close enough to 40 to comment
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    Lol Im 39, is that young?
    apparently. Consensus here was she was hot enough at 45 when she was 'on tv'
    Well some think Sarah Jessica Parker is hot too............horse face.
    I guess its all perspective really, but again not my cup o tea.
  13.    #13  
    Hi all,

That would be Ironic if Hurd would end up at Oracle and they buy HP...you never know in business.... take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    That would be Ironic if Hurd would end up at Oracle and they buy HP...you never know in business.... take care,

Jay
    Larry Ellison is viciously brilliant -- while his best friend El Jobso feigns mellowness and good karma while eviscerating his enemies (real and imagined) -- Ellison never pretends to be a nice guy, never pretends to be mellow -- when he cuts you in half with his Samurai sword he does it with smirk on his face.

Larry would buy and disembowel HP just for spite as an apéritif before dinner.
    Do you really think Oracle could afford a company with a 95 BILLION dollar market capitalization?
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    Do you really think Oracle could afford a company with a 95 BILLION dollar market capitalization?
    I don't know the current numbers -- but I'm guessing that 95 Billion you quoted is fading fast in the rear view mirror. (part of why they announced the stock buyback, why they spent so profligately for 3PAR -- was to lessen their vulnerability to takeover).

Oracle has a great balance sheet -- and would aggressively sell, spin off, or IPO (?) the parts of the HP corpse it was disinterested in.
    Last edited by BARYE; 09/06/2010 at 04:10 PM.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    Hi all,

Please indulge me a little here with a true story.

My background and education is in Ornamental Horticulture.

There is a retail and wholesale brand of ours plant food, which you have all heard of it is called Miracle Grow, by Sterns. Stern's was a family run biz until maybe 15 years ago.

At that time Scott's fertilizer company, you know them for lawn products, as well as wholesale products for turf grass management in golf courses.

The deal was mostly stock, thus making the Stern's family the largest group of stock holders.

Things went along fine for a year or so and a recession came....Scott's sales plummeted and the Stern's family banded together over threw the board of directors and tossed out the entire management team.

The Stern's put themselves in charge of Scott as well as all of it's holding, which includes Miracle Grow.

Mind you Stern's Miracle grow was a multi million dollar operation however, Scott's was then a Multi BILLION DOLLAR FIRM!

Now the Stern's are running the entire ball of wax. They then (sorry about the pun), branched out into custom blended potting soil for houseplants, top soil, manure, peat moss, etc....all under the Miracle Grow label for the potting soil, and under the Scott's name for garden products...all of the labels boast "blended with Stern's Miracle Grow", (not Scott's fertilizer).

The also bought up firms that treat lawns for fungus, insects and fertilizer, especially here in the south, making themselves a huge powerhouse in the field and naturally they only uses their products on the lawns, the trucks and firm goes under the Scott's name.

Today Stern's/Scott's is still run by the Stern's family, they are apublicly traded firm, but the family owns the controlling interest in the firm. Even in the shrinkling houseing market, Scott's controlled by the Stern's family is HUGE firm.

They are tops in every field it competes in, they are a multi billion dollar firm, dwarfing Stern's that they happily ran for decades....

You see sometimes David does slay Goliath.

BTW it is a true story!

Take care,

Jay
    Thanks for that post Jay, very interesting that they were able to do that.
    its official now -- Hurd is co-president of Oracle:

Oracle names ex-HP CEO Mark Hurd co-president
    By JORDAN ROBERTSON, AP Technology Writer

SAN FRANCISCO – Oracle Corp. has hired former Hewlett-Packard Co. CEO Mark Hurd to help lead the database software maker in a pivotal moment in Oracle's 33-year history as it tries to muscle in on more of HP's turf.

Hurd's appointment Monday as co-president of Oracle comes a month after he resigned from HP following a sexual harassment investigation.

Oracle CEO Larry Ellison loudly came to Hurd's defense at the time, calling HP's decision to oust Hurd the worst personnel decision since Apple Inc. forced out Steve Jobs — another of Ellison's friends — 25 years ago.

Oracle and HP are longtime partners, working together for 25 years to make sure their products are in sync. But Hurd's new job underscores the growing fissure between the Silicon Valley heavyweights.

Oracle is now competing in one of HP's biggest businesses — selling the computer servers that power businesses' back offices. The company said in a statement that Hurd will also serve as a member of the board of directors and will report to Ellison.

Ellison praised Hurd's tenure at HP and said no other executive had more relevant experience.

"Mark did a brilliant job at HP and I expect he'll do even better at Oracle," Ellison said. "There is no executive in the IT world with more relevant experience than Mark. Oracle's future is engineering complete and integrated hardware and software systems for the enterprise."

One of Oracle's two presidents — Charles Phillips, a former Marine and investment banker who was with the company for seven years — is resigning to make room for Hurd. The other — Safra Catz, Oracle's former chief financial officer — is staying.

Ellison said that Phillips wanted to leave in December, but that Ellison asked him to stay through the integration of Sun Microsystems.

Phillips was in the news earlier this year when pictures of him snuggling with his former mistress appeared on billboards around the U.S. Ellison said Oracle will miss Phillips' talent and leadership but that he respects Phillips' decision to leave.

The latest moves amount to little more than management maneuvering involving business celebrities, with Hurd and Ellison being two of the biggest names in technology, and Hurd's ouster from HP being one of the great dramas in Silicon Valley history.

In hiring Hurd, Oracle doesn't necessarily get everything he knows. Part of Hurd's severance package from HP — which could top $40 million — includes a confidentiality agreement that restricts what he can tell a future employer about internal HP dealings.

Still, what Oracle is getting is Hurd's ability to steer a sprawling technology company and find ways to make it even bigger. HP cleared $114 billion in revenue in its last fiscal year, while Oracle had nearly $27 billion.

Hurd is being tapped as Oracle undergoes a similar transformation to the one he spearheaded in his five years atop HP.

Oracle is in a richly profitable business as the No. 1 seller of database software, but is trying to carve out territory in other areas.

Oracle has been on a $40 billion buying binge since 2004, scooping up companies in other parts of the business software market, and with the $7.4 billion deal for Sun last year, Oracle became a direct competitor to HP in computing hardware — specifically, servers.

Hurd presided over a similarly massive makeover at HP, where he engineered more than $20 billion in acquisitions. Those deals helped HP become less tethered to printer ink as the source of the bulk of its profits. HP is now a player in technology services — where it's battling IBM Corp. — and computer networking — where it's taking on Cisco Systems Inc., which is also now making its own servers and challenging HP in that market.

Hurd is known as an extreme cost-cutter. HP announced about 50,000 job cuts during his tenure.

Ellison has said the HP board's decision to publicly disclose the harassment claim against Hurd amounted to "cowardly corporate political correctness," as the board had found that Hurd didn't violate the company's sexual harassment policies.

HP has emphasized that its board voted unanimously for Hurd's resignation.

HP's investigation unearthed inaccurate expense reports connected with Hurd's outings with his eventual accuser, an actress and HP contractor named Jodie Fisher.

She claimed that her work helping organize HP events dried up after she rebuffed Hurd's advances.

Hurd, 53, who is married with two children, denies making any advances on Fisher. Hurd also insists he didn't prepare his own expenses and didn't try to conceal his outings with Fisher, which often included dinner after the events Fisher helped organize and that Hurd attended.