Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    What?

No original King Kong?
    Godzilla?
  2.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    what are yours... this is by no means a full list... and they are in no particular order... i cant really think of all of them
    Quote Originally Posted by dbdoinit View Post
    What?

No original King Kong?
    Godzilla?
    actually yea... damn i like the 1933 king kong and pretty much any godzilla smashing japanese towns is cool...NOT the godzilla chick remake
    actually yea... damn i like the 1933 king kong and pretty much any godzilla smashing japanese towns is cool...NOT the godzilla chick remake
    Hi all,

I picked the following:

1939 Gone with the wind
    1939 Wizard of Oz

I picked these both b/c of the technical issues involved in making them.

GWTW is the first FULL color movie and OZ is the first movie that had ANY color. They were both filled at the same time at the same studio. Before this movies that were in color" had a slight color washing the background, it was the beginning use of the 4th generation of Technicolor's film called Technicolor IV or process 4.

Keep in mind only 5 color movie cameras existed then (all were then owned by MGM no other studio anywhere in the world owned them). The where so huge that they had to use a crane to shot overhead shots.

They had to coordinate the shooting schedules of both movies to share the cameras between the two.

Both were filed in Technicolor who was the inventor of the process. Each cell of each scene after shooting and development, as expected the film was in color. This was before Kodak invented color movie film. The camera was so complicated that each color has it's own lens. The process was the beginning of dye transfer process.

Therefore Technicolor had to have a COLOR COORDINATOR on the set at all times. He or she & their staff took extensive snapshots and illustrations of the shots, including paint chips and costume swatches.

Artists then PAINTED OVER EVER SINGLE MOVIE CELL. (frame), to highlight the color ls to get them to match the original drawings.

This was daunting b/c the use of color was very much part of the OZ sequence within the movie.

For GWTW, the movie was extremely long with enormous cast. The went as far as to hight light the green of Vivian Leigh's amazing green eyes and to help highlight the color on her cheeks. At 3 hours and 43 minutes the task was daunting. The movie was so over budget, that they made extensive use of painting on glass and filing thru it. Such as the entrance to Tara and twelve Oaks, were actually painted on glass and set in from of the lens. The doorway was actually the entrance to the individual sound stage it was filmed on. This was done decades before the idea let alone using digital effects

Today, the Technicolor process is still used for large budget movies or movies that will have a very wide distribution, where it pays to still paint directly on the movie cell. One reason is that color still stands out when used this way and many cinematographers still feel that safety film, (Field that is acid free), doesn't show color off as well. The process is is use for Restoration work of films, as most movies from the studio heyday were not on safety film. The have to be restored or and rerecorded onto safety film, or the acid in the film will literally turn the film to dust.

Restoring movies is a larger task then making them. Each cell from the studio master is enlarged, frame by frame is evaluated. In the case of both of these movies, each cell was enlarged to a more modern film size, that didn't crop any of the original film and once again EVERY cell was hand painted to restore the firm to the original colors.

This was done decades before the idea let alone using digital effects!

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Excalibur [1981]
    A Clockwork Orange [1971]
    It's a Wonderful Life [1946]
    Planet of the Apes [1968]
  6.    #8  
    i cant believe i forgot

Snatch
    American Psych
    Batman Begins
    TAXI DRIVER!!!!
    Matrix
    Mad max
    Planet of the Apes
    GTWW
    WOZ
    I've got a huge list on IMDB, thought not all are favorites.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  8.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    I've got a huge list on IMDB, thought not all are favorites.
    this thread was created with you in mind
    LOL! Thanks!

Some are:

Memento
    The Prestige
    Insomnia
    Inception
    True Romance
    Pulp Fiction....

I'll list more later.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Hello? LoTR? Hrmm?
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Besides some of those already mentioned, here's some of my fav's:

The Bridge on the River Kwai [1957]
    The Great Escape [1963]
    The Good, the Bad and the Ugly [1966]
    The Outlaw Jose Wales [1976]
    The Quiet Man [1952]
    Airplane [1980]
    Office Space [1999]
    Monty Python and the Holy Grail [1975]
    The Departed [2006]
    Lawrence of Arabia [1962]
    Fiddler on the Roof [1971]
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Departed
    Office Space
    Anything Python
    A Fish Called Wanda
    The Stand
    A History of Violence
    Accepted
    Battle Royale
    The Matrix
    Dead Alive
    District 9
    Pan's Labyrinth
    The Orphanage
    Pirates Trilogy
    Fight Club
    Weird Science
    Harry Potter (except the most recent)
    Tarantino's movies
    Mission Impossible
    Ocean's movies

and that just some I like!
    I actually own many more movies than this, but these are my favorites.

The ones in bold I particularly like.

12 MONKEYS

A CLOCKWORK ORANGE
    A MAN AND A WOMAN (UN HOMME ET UNE FEMME)
    A WOMAN IN THE DUNES
    ANNIE HALL
    The APPRENTICESHIP OF DUDDY KRAVITZ
    ATONEMENT
    BEND IT LIKE BECKAM
    BIG CHILL
    BLOOD SIMPLE
    BLOW UP
    BODY HEAT
    BONNE ANNEE (Happy New Year)
    Broadcast News
    Cast Away
    CHINATOWN
    CITIZEN KANE
    CLOSER
    The CONVERSATION
    CRASH
    Croupier
    DON'T LOOK NOW
    DR. STRANGELOVE
    EAT DRINK MAN WOMAN
    Eight and a Half
    ETERNAL SUNSHINE of the SPOTLESS MIND
    GARDEN STATE
    GODFATHER
    GODFATHER Pt.II
    GREASE
    GROUNDHOG DAY
    HEATHERS
    Heaven Can Wait
    IKIRU
    KNIFE IN THE WATER
    KOYAANISQATSI
    L'AUBERGE ESPAGNOLE
    LOCK, STOCK, & TWO SMOKING BARRELS
    LOST IN TRANSLATION

McCABE AND MRS. MILLER
    MEAN STREETS

MEET JOE BLACK
    Memento
    MISSING
    NO MAN'S LAND
    ONE HOUR PHOTO
    PARENTHOOD
    PINERO
    PULP FICTION
    REALITY BITES
    RENDITION

Rosemary's Baby
    Ruling Class
    SECONDS
    SEX. LIES, & VIDEOTAPE
    SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE

SHAMPOO
    She's Gotta Have It
    Shoot The Piano Player
    SLAM
    Spinal Tap, This Is
    Stardust Memories
    SUNSET BOULEVARD
    TAKE THE MONEY AND RUN
    Terminator
    THE CONFORMIST
    THE LAST PICTURE SHOW
    The Player
    THE SHINING

A Thin Blue Line
    Tootsie
    Total Recall

USED CARS
    WHALE RIDER
    WHEN HARRY MET SALLY
    WILD STRAWBERRIES
    Yi yi
    Last edited by BARYE; 09/13/2010 at 12:09 PM. Reason: added RENDITION and ATONEMENT
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  14.    #16  
    sweet thanks BARYE.. that list is awesome.. i gotta go through some of these
    sweet thanks BARYE.. that list is awesome.. i gotta go through some of these
    permit me say little about some of the films on my list -- since likely not everyone will be familiar with all of them. Not sure how many I'll do -- but here's a start:

12 MONKEYS -- any movie from Hollywood that dares to cast 12 monkeys has to be good !! Inspired by "La Jettee" -- a beautiful 15 minute French film made entirely of stills, 12 Monkeys expands and riffs on La Jettee's original dystopic vision of the future -- at once both terrible and achingly beautiful. A masterpiece.

A CLOCKWORK ORANGE Kubric's vision of a future based on the Burgess novel, is simultaneously funny and disturbing. And his use of music !!!

A MAN AND A WOMAN (UN HOMME ET UNE FEMME) The brilliant Claude leLouch directed and shot this romantic masterpiece -- sensual, restrained, never a moment out of place, wonderfully photographed, exceptional original musical score.

A WOMAN IN THE DUNES -- one of the most philosophically influential experiences of my very long life was this Japanese film. A scientist is captured and forced to live in a pit with a woman, digging sand endlessly. Inspiring.

ANNIE HALL -- Woody Allen's master work. Funny, romantic, guilt ridden -- it captures a time and place like tree sap preserves history in amber.

The APPRENTICESHIP OF DUDDY KRAVITZ -- Richard Dreyfus's first movie in which he plays an aggressive hustling comer -- who in his own mind does all that he does on behalf of those he loves -- only to destroy everything he cares about and lose their love. (I recently saw an interview where Dreyfus confessed he only agreed to make "Jaws" because he feared he was so awful in this film he'd never be hired to act again...)

BEND IT LIKE BECKAM -- love this little film, and I worship Keira Knightly's abbs.

BIG CHILL -- one of the best written films ever made, extraordinary music choices, fine acting.

BLOOD SIMPLE -- the Coen brothers first and greatest film -- especially the raw, rougher originally released version.

BLOW UP -- within this slowly developing tale of a successful British photographer, Antonioni has within it a message about the meaning of life -- another philosophically influential film.

BODY HEAT -- so well written and constructed -- great fun as well.

BONNE ANNEE (Happy New Year) -- is my favorite film. Ostensibly about a jewel heist gone bad, its a film about love, life, loyalty, and forgiveness. Directed and shot by Claude LeLouch, BONNE ANNEE a film I've watched dozens of times. And it must be seen at least twice to understand and appreciate its clever narrative structure.

Broadcast News -- superbly written, painfully funny and real. My favorite line (of many) was when Holly Hunter's boss bitterly says to her with dripping sarcasm "it must be great knowing everything !!" to which she, without irony, replies sadly "no, its awful ..."

Cast Away -- I recently watched again this Robert Zemeckis.directed film. The subtlety and trust he put in the patience of his audience was incredibly courageous. Not one false moment. Extraordinary restraint. He manages a wonderfully open hopeful ending following after a horribly wrenching scene.
    Last edited by BARYE; 09/08/2010 at 10:12 AM.
    This thread is FAIL without...

The Princess Bride!

Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Quote Originally Posted by Spader View Post
    This thread is FAIL without...

The Princess Bride!
    true -- a terrific film.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    GODFATHER
    GODFATHER Pt.II
    I have to agree with your assessment. I really enjoyed II. But the first one was truly a milestone in cinema history. An instant standard. And it provided the depth and rich backdrop for II.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast