Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    GODFATHER
    GODFATHER Pt.II
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    I have to agree with your assessment. I really enjoyed II. But the first one was truly a milestone in cinema history. An instant standard. And it provided the depth and rich backdrop for II.
    well i actually have to agree with peter on this one Peter Griffin on The Godfather
    Peter: Well that’s pretty much all there is to tell kids. The Griffin family history is a rich tapestry. But, since we’re all going to die, there’s one more secret I feel I have to share with you. I did not care for The Godfather.
    Lois: What!
    Peter: Did not care for The Godfather.
    Lois: Uh!
    Chris: How can you even say that dad?
    Peter: Didn’t like, did not like it.
    Lois: Peter, it’s so good, it’s like the perfect movie.
    Peter: This is what everyone always says, whenever someone says…
    Chris: Robert De Niro, Al Pacino…
    Peter: I…
    Chris: You never see… ROBERT DUVALL!
    Peter: Fine, fine actor, did not like the movie.
    Brian: Why not?
    Peter: Did not… couldn’t get into it.
    Lois: Explain yourself, what didn’t you like about it?
    Peter: It insists upon itself, Lois.
    Lois: What?
    Peter: It insists upon itself.
    Lois: What does that even mean?
    Chris: Cause it has a valid point to make, it’s insistent!
    Peter: Cause it takes forever getting in, and you spend, you spend like six and a half hours, and then, you - I can’t even get through, I haven’t even seen the ending.
    Chris: You’ve never seen the ending?
    Stewie: Ah, how can you say you don’t like it if you haven’t even given it a chance?
    Lois: I agree with Stewie, it’s not really fair.
    Chris: Outrageous.
    Peter: I’ve tried on three separate occasions to get through it, and I get to the scene where all the guys are sitting around on the easy chairs…
    Lois: Yes, it’s a great scene, I love that scene.
    Peter: It’s not a great scene, I have no idea what they’re talking about, it’s like their speaking a different language. That’s where I lose interest and fade away.
    Chris: They’re speaking Italian!
    Lois: The language they’re speaking is the language of subtly, something you don’t understand.
    Peter: I love The Money Pit. That is my answer to that statement.
    Lois: Exactly.
    Peter: Well, there you go.
    Lois: Whatever.
    Chris: I like that movie, too.
    Last edited by sketch42; 01/16/2011 at 04:52 PM.
    I have to agree with your assessment. I really enjoyed II. But the first one was truly a milestone in cinema history. An instant standard. And it provided the depth and rich backdrop for II.
    The Godfather is a wonderful film -- involving, surprisingly nuanced and well acted.

It transparently translated the novel into a living breathing reality. It discovered (and rediscovered) incredibly talented performers like Brando, Pacino, Duvall.

The Godfather II though surpasses it, in its layered complexity, its brilliance, its tragic evolution of its core theme.

Like several of my favorite films, Godfather II has at its heart a hero who in his own mind does all that he does for those that he loves. Michael murders, lies, compromises himself -- all for his family -- his brother, wife, children.

Yet everything he does, all the "sacrifices" he commits on their behalf, inexorably destroys the very things he loves, and on whose behalf he works -- until monstrously he has killed his children's uncle, his own brother.

At the screening where I first saw Godfather II, there was a lengthy intermission in the film's middle. I turned to my friend excitedly and said: "isn't this maybe the greatest film you've ever seen ??" He rolled his eyes, looked at his watch -- and wondered how much longer he'd be stuck there.

I was completely absorbed by the saga and personalities and experiences of that film. That it was also a sequel is astonishing.
    Last edited by BARYE; 09/08/2010 at 03:41 PM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    DeNiro was amazing in that film as well.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    DeNiro was amazing in that film as well.
    it gives BARYE no joy to dissent from the near universal adoration of Robert DeNiro.

He was ok in Godfather II -- truthfully it was arguably one of his better performances in a generally very overrated career.

In fact nearly all the great Godfather actors reached the apogee of their performance lives in those films.

Brando, Pacino, the outstanding supporting cast -- none were anywhere as naturally powerful, charismatic, or authentically vulnerable as they are in the Godfather (I, II) films. Following the Godfather. all entered into a long inescapable decline as they begin to insufferably repackage the same performances into the clothing of different characters, different films.

DeNiro, Brando, and Pacino all descend ultimately into parodies of themselves -- eventually semi-consciously recreating their characters in the guise of comedies (like "Meet the Parents", "Analyze That"; "Don Juan"; or "Scent of a Woman).

The only one of that star cast to escape its curse was Robert Duval -- whose rich lifetime has been one of continuous creativity and fresh discovery.

As for DeNiro his best performance by far was in one of his first roles -- as Johny Boy in Martin Scorcese's great 1973 film: "MEAN STREETS".

My favorite american film, and quite probably the greatest american movie ever made -- "MEAN STREETS" is another story like the Godfather in which the hero at its heart ends up destroying what he most want to protect, what he most loves.

I've watched MEAN STREETS dozens of times, and each time I see and learn more. DeNiro's performance is extraordinary as the near do well hustling cousin of Harvey Keitel's Charlie. (together with the beautiful Amy Robinson -- who went on to be one of Hollywood's most successful producers).

Beautifully shot, brilliantly edited, and woven with perfect music touches throughout -- its a movie that anyone who loves film must see again and again.

A long time back a friend knowing of my love for MEAN STREETS, invited me on to the set of Martin Scorcese's new film to meet him (she was his assistant).

When Scorcese came out from his trailer to greet me and shake my hand I blurted out in a much too loud voice like an excited school girl meeting Justin Bieber: "I love your film MEAN STREETS -- its my favorite movie !!"

Taking my hand Scorcese smiled then laughed, and told me jokingly "we're now doing a remake -- only this time in black and white !"

The movie he was working on was "Raging Bull". (a disappointing and very overrated film, btw).
    Last edited by BARYE; 09/13/2010 at 11:02 AM.
    Gran Torino
    Star Trek 2009
    28 Days Later
    Better Off Dead
    Say Anything
    Blood Diamond
    Cache
    Children of Men
    Clerks
    Jay&Silent Bob
    The Boondock Saints
    Dangerous Liasons
    40 Days and 40 Nights
    I Love You, Man
    Grosse Point Blanke
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Star Wars - loved the whole series and remember waiting in line with my father for the original back in the 70s.

My favorites:

• Star Trek - 2009 (Excellent adaptation and restart)
    • Live Free or Die Hard (another great reboot)
    • Harry Potter (all)
    • Aliens Series (extended DVDs a much to original leftout storyline)
    • The Chronicles of Riddick (Vin Diesel simply ROCKS!)
    • Lord of the Rings (all - deserved Best Picture of the Year)

and a few I just love:

• Taken
    • Death Race
    • Pirates of the Caribbean (all - but the 1st was by far the best)
    • Young Frankenstein - what hump...
    • Nacho Libre - NACHO!!!!

Sorli...
    Last edited by sorli; 09/11/2010 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Die Hard movie name correction
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    The Good, the Bad and the Ugly [1966]

Great list, Micael!
    That is a great movie!

Really loved Clint in Gran Torino: GET OFF MY LAWN!
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    The greatest travesty in Hollywood history has to be that they didn't stop after GF-II.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    That is a great movie!

Really loved Clint in Gran Torino: GET OFF MY LAWN!
    Yeah, you know, I think he's the only one who could have pulled off that roll convincingly--otherwise, the roll was a bit cliched. The two main Hmong actors, while not being the best actors, did surprisingly well but Clint carried the movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    Yeah, you know, I think he's the only one who could have pulled off that roll convincingly--otherwise, the roll was a bit cliched. The two main Hmong actors, while not being the best actors, did surprisingly well but Clint carried the movie.
    You are absolutely right on that, a lesser actor, without his talents would have ruined it and made the movie suck!
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    star wars(all)
    V(tv show bout aliens)
    star trek(all)
    cars
    the day after tomo
    castle in the sky
    jurasaic park(all)
    alice in wonderland(new one)

I will update the list when I'm back on my pc...

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
    The greatest travesty in Hollywood history has to be that they didn't stop after GF-II.
    I didn't like G-III, didn't think it needed to be made, and it was often painful to watch.

But despite acknowledging all this, I can see within G-III a terrific story that might have been the basis of an excellent film.

One of the central plot lines of G-III is the real horrific scandal that involves the Banco Ambrosiano and the failed Vatican Bank. Francis Ford Coppola -- when he was a younger, more energetic, and more disciplined and controlling director probably could have woven the varied elements of G-III into another great film.

Unluckily for Coppola, many external events and forces worked against his doing that.

First, the studio financing the film insisted on an aggressive script writing, shooting, editing and release schedule -- one predicated on a theatrical exhibition calendar -- not one based on the organic creative process.

Perhaps if they had more time a better screenplay would have been written. Perhaps they could have arranged an accommodation with Winona Ryder which would have kept her in the cast as Michael Corleone's daughter (as was originally intended). Instead, short of time Coppola cast his real life daughter Sofia in that role, a critically important role that is central to the film. (While an excellent director in her own right: "Lost in Translation", Sophia sadly, is an indescribably bad actress.)

A less distracted Coppola might also have been able to successfully negotiate a compromise with Robert Duvall, whose absence is greatly felt in G-III.

And lastly, had Coppola been more disciplined he would have been able control Al Pacino -- who in G-III gives one of the worst performances ever delivered by a major actor -- utterly destroying the film with his flailing carpet chewing histrionics.

"...Coppola and Puzo requested six months to complete a first draft of the script with a release date of Easter 1991. Paramount agreed to give them six weeks for the script and, lacking a holiday movie, a release date of Christmas Day 1990.

... Robert Duvall refused to take part unless he was paid a salary comparable to Pacino. ... he said he understood that Pacino was the star but felt insulted by the difference in their salaries. When Duvall dropped out, Coppola rewrote the screenplay to portray Tom Hagen as having died before the story begins. Coppola ... further states that, to him, the movie feels incomplete "without [Robert] Duvall's participation." According to Coppola, had Duvall agreed to take part in the film, the Hagen character would have been heavily involved in running the Corleone charities.

Coppola felt that the first two films had told the complete Corleone saga. It was only his perilous financial status, after the failure of a big-budget movie, that compelled him to take up Paramount's long-standing offer to make a third installment...

Julia Roberts was originally cast as Mary, but dropped out due to scheduling conflicts... Rebecca Schaeffer was set to audition, but she was murdered. Winona Ryder dropped out of the film at the last minute ... Ultimately Sofia Coppola, the director's daughter, was given the role of Michael Corleone's daughter. Her much-criticized performance resulted in her father being accused of nepotism...

As an infant, Sofia Coppola had played Michael Corleone's infant nephew in The Godfather, during the climactic baptism/murder montage at the end of that film. (Sofia Coppola also appeared in The Godfather Part II, as a small immigrant child in the scene where the nine-year-old Vito Corleone arrives by steamer at Ellis Island.) The character of Michael's sister Connie is played by Francis Ford Coppola's sister, Talia Shire (making her both Mary and Sofia's aunt). Other Coppola relatives with cameos in the film included his mother, father (who wrote and conducted much of the music in the film), uncle and granddaughter, Gia. Michele Russo, who plays the son of the assassin Mosca, is also a distant Coppola relative, from the same town as Francis Ford Coppola's great-grandmother. In addition, Coppola cast Catherine Scorsese, mother of Martin Scorsese, for a small part..."

The Godfather Part III - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by BARYE; 09/13/2010 at 02:25 AM.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    I didn't like G-III, didn't think it needed to be made, and it was often painful to watch.

But despite acknowledging all this, I can see within G-III a terrific story that might have been the basis of an excellent film...
    All of which may have been acceptable for a film that did not try to capitalize on the Godfather legend. As you rightly point out, nothing about this film--not the screenplay, acting, directing, or production--rose to the very high standard of the name. Though I may have been a bit harsh before. As bad as it is to use the term Godfather "Trilogy", there are still people who insist there are six Star Wars episodes. Clearly, the three post-senility Lucas productions don't count.
    The Good, the Bad and the Ugly [1966]

Great list ...
    With all due respect Mr. Eastwood, I've not been a fan of your western spaghetti -- or whatever it is you call that you do.

And though I enjoyed "Line of Fire", "Million Dollar Baby" and a few of your other films, I feel compelled to further say that I've always been surprised by the level of admiration your movies have often found in otherwise sophisticated observers.

(have not btw seen Gran Torino, or many others...)
    Last edited by BARYE; 09/13/2010 at 11:42 AM.
    This could be a very long list for me, but here goes...

1. Salt
    2. My Town
    3. The Princess and the Frog (yeah, haha)
    4. Independence Day
    5. Forrest Gump
    6. Legends of the Falls
    7. Pride and Prejudice
    8. A Time to Kill
    9. The Color Purple
    10. Jerry McGuire
    11. Cinderella (Rogers and Hammerstein) yep
    12. Glory
    13. Wurthering Heights
    14. Imitation of Life
    15. Tombstone
    16. The Good the Bad and the Ugly
    17. Men of Honor
    18. Two can Play that Game Too
    19. Mission Impossible 2
    20. Braveheart
    21. 300
    22. The Gladiator
    23. Ray
    24. The Patriot
    25. The Lion King
    26. The Brothers
    27. The Four Brothers
    28. The Godfather, 1 and 2
    29. Scarface
    30. Joseph: King of Dreams
    31. Conair
    32. When Harry Met Sally
    33. Casablanca
    34. The African Queen
    35. The Five Heartbeats
    36. The Dark Knight
    37. All about Eve
    38. Pulp Fiction
    39. The Shawshank Redemption
    40. The Punisher
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    umm you forgot Titanic miss !

#16 is by far the best - The good the bad and the ugly
    #21 is close behind - 300
    the movie The One ( Jet LI ) is right there too !!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Rocky1 and rocky2

Evo-lution
    oh oh oh oh --- 12 monkeys !!! lol lol ltm ltm that movie was a trip !!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    umm you forgot Titanic miss !

#16 is by far the best - The good the bad and the ugly
    #21 is close behind - 300
    the movie The One ( Jet LI ) is right there too !!
    i put Titanic right where i would put the Godfather
    sketch42 on The Godfather
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast