1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I have a Tivo and have since the day they were first put up for sale. I don't have Roku or Apple TV, so far my Tivo is just fine. However, here is one take of Apple TV...

Take care,

Jay

Apple TV: You're a Glorified Roku
    By Jason Perlow | September 1, 2010, 1:44pm PDT

Apple TV: You're a Glorified Roku | ZDNet

Apple’s updated Apple TV, while more streamlined and less expensive than the original, offers little more than what Roku already offers today.

Steve Jobs: “One more thing…”

Me: Wait… they’re really going to do it! They’re gonna launch the new iTV! It’s gonna have apps and all the shows and movies I want to watch, and they’re gonna be cheap! And it’s gonna be integrated with all my social media services and all that good stuff! Ooooh! Look how small it is! Wait… no storage? Wait… It doesn’t have apps? Only two TV networks? But it can stream Netflix! And I can rent movies!

Oh wait, I already own one of those. It’s called a Roku.

Also See: Roku issues major Netflix channel feature upgrades

Don’t get me wrong, I think the device will probably sell a lot of units, especially at $99. But this is not the “iTV” many analysts were thinking that was going to be the cable and satellite TV and video game console killer.

Indeed, they got the $1 per show, with no commercials part right — but with only two networks to choose from, ABC and FOX, that’s not that much of a selection. I’m not betting on the rest of the big players on “Seeing the light”, as Jobs so eloquently put it.

Indeed, and what my colleague Matt Miller has already noticed, most of what the Apple TV 2.0 already does I can already do with my Roku.

In fact, with the Roku, besides the Netflix, I can rent the very same first run movies from Amazon Video which iTunes has at competitive pricing ($3.99) plus a large amount of TV content that won’t be available with Apple TV at launch. I also can play free streaming music with Pandora or radio stations with RadioTime piped right into my Hi-Fi system, and play my Flickr and even FaceBook photo albums and YouTube content. As a company, Roku isn’t at all standing still in terms of its hardware development, and I expect Amazon to have a lot up its sleeves when it comes to expanding its content pantry to combat Apple’s offering.

So is the Apple TV really then a Roku-Killer? I asked Roku’s Director of Corporate Communications Brian Jaquet what he thought about Apple’s new entry into the streaming video market, and his response was thus:

Roku created the category for streaming players over two years ago with the original Netflix player for $99. Since then the category has continued to grow rapidly with large hardware entrants like Xbox, PS3, Wii, blu-ray players, and now AppleTV adding streaming capabilities. At the same time, content is becoming more readily available thanks to Netflix’s increasing popularity, but also from Amazon, MLB.TV and most recently Hulu Plus. During this time Roku sales have continued to accelerate as the overall streaming market grows, and customers enjoy our simple interface, low cost and large selection of services. Our customers are using the box more and more. Two years ago the average Roku customer used our product 11 hours a month, but now it’s 43 hours a month.

Beyond Netflix we have introduced over 50 additional content partners on our open platform that offer customers access to over 100,000 movies and TV shows, live sports, music, photo and video sharing, and more — all while continuing to reduce the cost of our products. Today, a customer can get a Roku player for as low as $59.99 and an HD-capable model for as low as $69.99, plus a 1080p model for $99.99. By selling direct to customers (on roku.com) we can offer more while maintaining lower prices.

Roku is completely confident that our strategy of offering more features and lower cost than competitors continues to be the right plan.”

However, unlike the Roku, the Apple device will have seamless integration with Macs and other iOS devices, such as the iPad. As a iPhone or iPad peripheral the new Apple TV makes sense. At 99 bucks I can see a lot of folks beaming movies they’ve already amassed on their Macs with iTunes (I haven’t seen any evidence this works with iTunes 10 on a PC yet, but it would be nice if it did) with AirPlay directly to their TVs.

What Steve Jobs did with the iPad on stage using AirPlay to the new Apple TV was pretty nifty, but in real world application, I don’t see that scenario happening too often. More likely, I see the AirPlay feature of the new iTunes being used by DMCA scofflaws to strip DVDs and to play pirated video content on their TV sets, much like it is done with iPads and iPhones today.

Murky and most likely applications of the new device aside, both Roku and the Apple TV are at best supplementary content devices, not total replacements for Cable and Satellite TV packages and your DVR. The rental pricing (and content availability) just doesn’t make sense yet. And without Apps, and extremely limited prime time TV content selection, I just don’t see what the value play of the new Apple TV is yet.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  2.    #2  
    Hi all,

FYI.

Take care,

Jay

Apple TV Is the One You Date, Google TV Is the One You Marry
    By DEVINDRA HARDAWAR of VentureBeat, September 1, 2010

Apple TV Is the One You Date, Google TV Is the One You Marry - NYTimes.com

After months of speculation, Apple CEO Steve Jobs finally revealed the new and improved Apple TV today. It has a lot going for it, including a low $99 price, redesigned hardware, and access to streaming media from the iTunes store.

At the same time, I can’t help but be disappointed — an opinion shared by Forrester analyst James McQuivey. Instead of being a revolutionary upgrade, the new Apple TV is just a smaller and cheaper iteration on what Apple has done before. Meanwhile, Google announced its Google TV service earlier this year — which will bring many of the Apple TV’s additions (Netflix, Pandora), alongside full access to the web on your TV, the ability to subscribe to audio and video podcasts, and more.

After Apple’s announcement today, I’m still far more excited for Google TV.

Google’s aim isn’t just to offer another device that connects to your TV to deliver media. Rather, it’s going for a full-scale redefinition of the way we watch TV. Instead of scrolling through hundreds of channels with a clunky channel guide, you can use Google TV’s search to find content from live TV, your DVR, or web video instantly. Instead of waiting for Apple to include access to the hottest new web video site on Apple TV, you can simply browse to the site and view the video with Google TV’s web browser, which also has full Adobe Flash support.

And instead of hoping that Apple brings apps to the Apple TV, you can get access to the Android Market right on Google TV — which could conceivably allow a video streaming service like Boxee to find a home on Google’s platform.

Google is working with TV manufacturers and cable/satellite providers to integrate the service into TVs and set-top boxes, which could help put an end to ugly TV programming guides and other terrible user interface forced upon couch potatoes. This is the key to Google’s plan: Instead of going out and buying a separate device, users will inevitably get access to Google TV by default through their cable/satellite provider, or when they purchase a new TV. For those of us who want it right away, Google is working together with Logitech for a Google TV set-top box called the Revue.

Strangely enough, when it comes to this particular battle, Apple has the distinct price advantage. Many users wouldn’t think twice about spending $99 for the Apple TV experience — particularly if they don’t have any other way to get Netflix on their televisions. The Logitech Revue, meanwhile, doesn’t have a set price yet, but we can expect it to be between $200 and $300. Its internals are significantly more complex, whereas the new Apple TV is a stripped down device running the same mobile hardware as the iPhone 4.

Apple’s price lead won’t last forever though — you can bet that by next year, there will be a Google TV box around or under $99 as well. And if all goes according to plan, Google TV isn’t something many customers should have to worry about buying anyway — it will be a part of their normal TV experience by default.

Apple will certainly sell truckloads of Apple TVs this holiday season, and probably for some time next year as well. But in the grand scheme of things, it’s Google TV that will significantly affect the shape of TV watching in the future. Apple could update the Apple TV to support apps, but even then it’s still locked down to a single box that users will have to buy.

Meanwhile, Google TV will have the same advantage as Google’s Android mobile operating system — it will be everywhere, making it unstoppable.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    they will start building it in to tv's and bluray players like netflix and pandora do. And a set top for existing tv's.

google is becoming the new apple/microsoft/ibm.
    It's more like a seriously lacking Roku. There are about 5 other well known devices way more capable. I think they got it wrong with both this and the new Nano.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!