1.    #1  
    ]Hi all,

Well this is unusual to say the least!

Take care,

Jay

Nike files patent application for self-lacing shoes
    By Andrew Nusca | Sep 1, 2010

Nike files patent application for self-lacing shoes - SmartPlanet

We donít usually cover shoe tech here on SmartPlanet, but if thereís one thing that weíve learned, itís that innovation comes in many forms.

American athletic apparel giant Nike has filed a patent for what appears to be a self-lacing shoe.

Officially referred to as an ďautomatic lacing system,Ē the innovation seems destined for the companyís iconic, tech-filled Air Jordan line of basketball sneakers.

The patent reads as follows:

The automatic lacing system provides a set of straps that can be automatically opened and closed to switch between a loosened and tightened position of the upper. The article further includes an automatic ankle cinching system that is configured to automatically adjust an ankle portion of the upper.

Thatís right: push a button and the shoe laces tighten around your feet.

Hereís more info from the official filing:

In one aspect, the invention provides an automatic lacing system for an article of footwear, comprising: a sole including a cavity; a motor disposed in the cavity; the motor including a driveshaft; the driveshaft including at least one gear; at least one belt engaged with the at least one gear at an intermediate portion of the belt; a yoke member connected to the at least one belt at an attachment portion of the at least one belt; a plurality of straps attached to the yoke member, the plurality of straps being configured to adjust an upper of the article of footwear; and where the straps can be automatically moved between a closed position and a loosened position by activating the motor.

Pretty neat stuff, although my initial question for such an invention is how the company will balance form and features ó that is, a technical shoe must be lightweight, too.

Wondering where all that power comes from, by the way? You guessed right: an on-board battery, which will be charged by either a USB or mini-USB port.

Dunking a basketball may never be the same again.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Uhh... I can just see the price of these. lol

No thanks, I'll stick with my $70 Reebok Fury's thanks.
    My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    Global Posts
    179 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    Back to the future (2)! Thats funny, I thought of the same part from that movie!
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    I want my hover board. It better happen.
    Nice! At least I won't have to worry about tripping over my laces and dropping my phone.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    wow,back to the future is the first thing that came to mind.
    and next we'll have generations of people that can't lace or tie their own shoes.......oh yeah, nevermind!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  9.    #9  
    LOL!
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    What's next? A self wipe'n a##, lol.
    I'm still waiting for a Wipe my *** app from CrApple...
    My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"
  12.    #12  
    Hi all,

I do have to say, this would be great for the disabled and marathon runners. Years ago, when I was still able to run, it would be nice not to have to worry about shoes laces loosening up.

Take care,

Jay
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

I do have to say, this would be great for the disabled and marathon runners. Years ago, when I was still able to run, it would be nice not to have to worry about shoes laces loosening up.

Take care,

Jay
    I totally agree, might be great for the disabled.
    My closest friend is disabled and could benefit from these. I also have housing units on both sides of me for the disabled that could use these. Hope the happen for a reasonable price.