1.    #1  
    People born after 1981 have lower privacy standards, Loopt CEO says
    By Sara Jerome - 08/30/10 11:42 AM ET

People born after 1981 have lower privacy standards, Loopt CEO says - The Hill's Hillicon Valley

People born after 1981 are likely to have different standards for online privacy than those born earlier, according to the chief executive of Loopt, a geolocation app.

“The magic age is people born after 1981," said Sam Altman in a New York Times article. “That’s the cut-off for us where we see a big change in privacy settings and user acceptance.”

The disparity is salient when it comes to location-based services such as those offered by Loopt, which allow users to tell their friends where they are. Those services are popular among young people but have failed to penetrate the a large swath of the population, the NYT (http://nyti.ms/aHtnuf) reports.

Only 4 percent of Americans have tried geolocation apps. Only 1 percent use them weekly, according to Forrester Research.

So far, adoption is largely confined to young people living in cities. Melissa Parrish, an interactive marketing analyst at Forrester, tells the NYT, “Clearly the question is whether it has reached the mainstream, and it looks like the answer is no.”

Facebook launched a location service called Places this month, which stands to increase the adoption of geolocation services.

"If Places catches on with Facebook’s 500 million users, many think it could bring location-sharing to the masses," the NYT said.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    I would have thought it was 3 years after that.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    How about the headline, "Teens and Twenty-somethings have lower privacy standards".

Big shocker...
    why would anyone want big brother knowing where they are at all the time. I will never use those programs. People that need to know where I'm at, already know...
    I believe this! My roommate is 25 and he doesn't care who knows all his business and doesnlt understand why I insist people stay the hell out of mine. His mouth has gotten him in trouble with me more than once already!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    This has been my experience too. Trust me, that frog is going to boil to death at some point.