Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Here's a thread to actually discuss the original question of the other thread.

This thread is not supposed to have ANYTHING to do with whether left or right-wingers are mentally disturbed or not.
    As being part of a Politically Slanted News Organization, i have to say i take offence to that generalization.

We prefer to call it "Social Engineering"
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    dbd, we answered it in the first thread, I think. Unanimously. It's not acceptable. That's why people argue so much. They can't accept each others source of information, or they assume that if you have a different view, you must be watching Fox or MSNBC, depending on that your slant.

We don't need a new thread me thinks. It'll just spin into the same right-left fightclub.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    It is because news is no longer considered a social necessity but instead is considered a revenue source (if it bleeds, it leads?): Consider the fact that Fox news is so popular when it is obviously an opinion source (and not based on boring things like, facts).
    <This Page is Blank>
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    dbd, we answered it in the first thread, I think. Unanimously. It's not acceptable. That's why people argue so much. They can't accept each others source of information, or they assume that if you have a different view, you must be watching Fox or MSNBC, depending on that your slant.

We don't need a new thread me thinks. It'll just spin into the same right-left fightclub.
    hey, the first rule of left-right fight club is to NEVER talk about left-right fight club.
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    I can give the most accurate answer possible: Because it gives us something entertaining to laugh at, while flipping away to the next channel!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    I can give the most accurate answer possible: Because it gives us something entertaining to laugh at, while flipping away to the next channel!
    the problem is that many take the idiocy and rhetoric from corporate sponsored news outlets as gospel...
    "Brace yourself, you beautiful *****. I am about to **** you up with some truth!" - Kenny Powers

"I don't mind paying taxes. With taxes, I purchase civilization."
    - H.L. Mencken
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    Are you saying that you, as OP, want the other thread closed?
    why --even in jest -- is that being asked ??

And how would that be fair to those who have contributed to that discussion ??

By that logic, if I began a thread where I wanted to discuss how the 2nd amendment absolutely protected gun ownership -- but asked for the thread to be closed after a consensus of opinion emerged that guns ought to be severely regulated.

Just because someone initiated a discussion, it does not mean that they then control or direct how the discussions evolves.
    Last edited by BARYE; 09/01/2010 at 02:49 AM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by evilduckster View Post
    It is because news is no longer considered a social necessity but instead is considered a revenue source (if it bleeds, it leads?): Consider the fact that Fox news is so popular when it is obviously an opinion source (and not based on boring things like, facts).
    sounds like your describing msnbc...
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    hey, the first rule of left-right fight club is to NEVER talk about left-right fight club.
    Nicely put...in fact this will be my last post in an "off-topic" section...this is my "WebOS Sanctuary"...going to keep it that way...although I love these subjects it's not what I come to PreCentral for...no doubt will see you around as you are blanketed around the forum....speaking of you cracked me up when you mentioned to someone to save there money because it looked like they needed it more so they could get a bite to eat based on their avatar/profile pic...(was maybe a week ago or so and was later deleted by admin...I saw the humor...apparently they did not)
    thanks, but I don't think that was me. I'm sure i've been deleted, but that one doesn't ring a bell.

I agree that staying out of the OT section makes it a nicer experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    thanks, but I don't think that was me. I'm sure i've been deleted, but that one doesn't ring a bell.

I agree that staying out of the OT section makes it a nicer experience.
    (Ooops!..here to reply)...sorry to mistaken you for that person...and yes...nicer experience...although not opposed to having this section for those that wish to partake...
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    why --even in jest -- is that being asked ??

By that logic, if I began a thread where I wanted to discuss how the 2nd amendment absolutely protected gun ownership -- but asked for the thread to be closed after a consensus of opinion emerged that guns ought to be severely regulated.

Just because someone initiated a discussion, it does not mean that they then control or direct how the discussions evolves.
    In public, no.

In a forum where there are rules against derailing threads, YES.

You have a strange definition of the word "contribute".
    It is not acceptable to any news consumer. The problem lies in the fact that each "side" is absolutely convinced that their news source is the one doing it correctly and it is the "other side" that is the offender.

Thus, the right BELIEVES that Fox News is 'telling it like it is' and the left is CONVINCED that MSNBC is above the fray. They each point at the "other" and claim it's a shame that a news source is allowed to be so slanted.

Therefore, EVERYONE agrees that there is a problem. But, there is no objective, disinterested arbiter to decide where the fault lies. So, 100% say there is an issue, but it's split 50 / 50 as to what that problem is.

It is simple to agree that "something needs to be done". It is nearly impossible to agree what that "something" should be.

Many believe spending must be cut....but, let's cut that other fellows funding, NOT MINE!
    Quote Originally Posted by dbdoinit View Post
    In public, no.

In a forum where there are rules against derailing threads, YES.

did you ask for that thread to be closed ??

(I'm hoping the answer is no)
    I'm saying what most politicians says.. >No Comment< Thank You.
    did you ask for that thread to be closed ??

(I'm hoping the answer is no)
    Surprising choice, to close that thread. I thought we were doing quite well....for us.
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee2001 View Post
    It is not acceptable to any news consumer. The problem lies in the fact that each "side" is absolutely convinced that their news source is the one doing it correctly and it is the "other side" that is the offender.

Thus, the right BELIEVES that Fox News is 'telling it like it is' and the left is CONVINCED that MSNBC is above the fray. They each point at the "other" and claim it's a shame that a news source is allowed to be so slanted.

Therefore, EVERYONE agrees that there is a problem. But, there is no objective, disinterested arbiter to decide where the fault lies. So, 100% say there is an issue, but it's split 50 / 50 as to what that problem is.

It is simple to agree that "something needs to be done". It is nearly impossible to agree what that "something" should be.

Many believe spending must be cut....but, let's cut that other fellows funding, NOT MINE!
    well said. however, there is a third position which I tend to occupy which is that both sides are crazy and neither is "doing it right" - that's why I get all my news here, fyi.
    Quote Originally Posted by RL View Post
    I'm saying what most politicians says.. >No Comment< Thank You.
    When politicians say that, some quite understandably make the inference that they have something to hide -- that they are cowardly weasels.
    Last edited by BARYE; 09/01/2010 at 05:09 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast