Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 249
  1. #81  
    Workerb33 read the article I posted. It's not really an organization in the literal sense. It's more of a 'movement'. Thing is, there's nothing grassroots about it. It's orchestrated by a bunch of very rich people with a very specific agenda.
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
  2. #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post
    Finally, I do hope you know that the tea party is an 'astro turf' organization fed and funded by billionaires who use common fears and misunderstood principles among the general public to silently promote their own political agenda?

    The Brothers Koch: Rich, Political And Playing To Win : NPR

    Unless you're a multi-billionaire the result of the endgame, should the tea party 'win' isn't gonna be pretty for the majority of the people.
    I hadn't heard this before, as I'm not in the habit of listening to NPR. But, assuming this is the case, do you see this as any different than billionaire George Soros funding MoveOn.org and similar far-left initiatives?

    Maybe I'm naive but I thought the "tea party" thing was intended to be spontaneous gatherings to protest unreasonable taxation - just like the original tea party. Assuming that to be true, how would lower taxes be a bad thing for all but the billionaires buying the astroturf?

    I'm getting lost and perhaps I should moveon.com?
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...



    ...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
  3. #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post
    Workerb33 read the article I posted. It's not really an organization in the literal sense. It's more of a 'movement'. Thing is, there's nothing grassroots about it. It's orchestrated by a bunch of very rich people with a very specific agenda.
    good to know.

    hey @ferriskeanu, are you rich? apparently you can't be an organizer unless you are rich.
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...



    ...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
  4. #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    I could be wrong, but is there actually an "organization" called the "tea party". I thought the point was that they are locally organized for a particular gathering, and not affiliated with any other group.

    If so, you really can't make such sweeping generalities. Anyone know if there is actually a national "organization"?
    It's a "movement". Not sure where he is getting his info from (themarco). As I am a local organizer and we have no funding from the fictional billionaires that he/she speaks of...just painting with that broad brush of misinformation....

    Edit: And no...I am not rich...I am barely middle class actually...I am a Manager/Sommelier at a restaurant...just a bit short of billionaire status...

    Edit: And thanks for making the "Soros" point...
    Last edited by ferriskeanu; 08/30/2010 at 09:00 PM.
  5. #85  
    I'm so poor that I don't know what a "sommelier" is... does that make me a bad person?

    :-)
  6. #86  
    Workerb33 I don't know how much you earn but I'm personally in the 'under $250k bracket'. Can you explain to me what kind of 'unreasonable taxation' I'm currently a victim of that the tea party is going to take care of? I don't know if you've ever studied Republican tax plans but they don't do a thing for most people unless they are in brackets above the one I just mentioned. If you're in there, good for you. If you're not, the tea party movement nor the GOP isn't gonna do a thing for you.

    Finally: Yes I see a big problem with any billionaire funding any political organization. It's manipulation and it's extremely bad in every possible way.
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
  7. #87  
    Quote Originally Posted by ferriskeanu View Post
    It's a "movement". Not sure where he is getting his info from (themarco). As I am a local organizer and we have no funding from the fictional billionaires that he/she speaks of...just painting with that broad brush of misinformation....
    Google for 'Koch Brothers tea party' and you'll find all the answers you need.

    And like I said earlier: If you're a restaurant manager you're completely delusional if you think these right wingers are going to take care of you. They're not. I'm a fairly well paid silicon valley engineer and even I don't benefit from anything these people want to accomplish.
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
  8. #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    I'm so poor that I don't know what a "sommelier" is... does that make me a bad person?

    :-)
    lol... And if you weren't joking I am "wiine expert" I guess you could say. I currently have my Advanced Level Sommelier from the Court Of Master Sommelier...just have the master left in which there are only about a 100 in the US since 1977. You could pour a glass in front of me without telling me what you poured and I could tell you what vintage (give or take a few years), what grape(s) were used, and what region of the world it came from. And no...not a wine snob...laid back surfer boy from south florida that usually still has a beer over a glass of wine...
  9. #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post
    Google for 'Koch Brothers tea party' and you'll find all the answers you need.

    And like I said earlier: If you're a restaurant manager you're completely delusional if you think these right wingers are going to take care of you. They're not. I'm a fairly well paid silicon valley engineer and even I don't benefit from anything these people want to accomplish.
    I don't have the "I am entitled" mentality that you may or may not think I have...I don't need "big government" to take care of every little thing...do you?

    Edit: And when healthcare is forced down the throat of my employer I could actually be unemployed btw...
  10. #90  
    Quote Originally Posted by ferriskeanu View Post
    I don't have the "I am entitled" mentality that you may or may not think I have...I don't need "big government" to take care of every little thing...do you?
    Nope. I don't either.
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
  11. #91  
    @theMarco,

    I agree with you. The politicians on either side of the aisle have no interest in what's good for the country, only in what gives them power and keeps them in office. There was plenty of stupid spending in the bush years.

    But to answer the specific question, if I were going to protest it would be for government spending that will surely require higher taxes because every man/woman/child in the US owes about $50,000 of national debt. And that is unreasonable.

    by the way, I definitely get your original point that the "liberal" stuff in the US is moderate compared to the "socialist" structure in many parts of Europe. I think that's a fair observation.

    In terms of income, I'm no where near a tax bracket that you think would benefit. I think we'd all benefit more if the gov spent less instead of more. Personally I support something called the "fair tax" which is essentially a consumption tax rather than an income tax. Easy to exempt taxes on certain products or low-income people. No need for the IRS, no need to spend 50+ hours per year doing income tax filing (that's the average per person in the US), no need for zillions to be spent on tax attorney's, lobbyists trying to win loopholes, etc. Definitely not a republican vs democrat approach, because they would both lose a lot of power.

    and @dbd, your thread has been totally hijacked.
  12. #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by ferriskeanu View Post
    lol... And if you weren't joking I am "wiine expert" I guess you could say. I currently have my Advanced Level Sommelier from the Court Of Master Sommelier...just have the master left in which there are only about a 100 in the US since 1977. You could pour a glass in front of me without telling me what you poured and I could tell you what vintage (give or take a few years), what grape(s) were used, and what region of the world it came from. And no...not a wine snob...laid back surfer boy from south florida that usually still has a beer over a glass of wine...
    Not a drinker, so the talent would be lost on me. But, I assume you've been to the wine cellar at Bernds Steakhouse in Tampa? My guess is there are a few things in there that would be a challenge for the old sniffer!
  13. #93  
    Media outlets are slanted simply because they are for profit businesses reaching out to a customer base that has a demand.
    As soon as Americans realize the real news is about the slow infiltration of crab people into our society we will get Crab Watch Network, CWN.
  14. #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    @theMarco,
    In terms of income, I'm no where near a tax bracket that you think would benefit. I think we'd all benefit more if the gov spent less instead of more. Personally I support something called the "fair tax" which is essentially a consumption tax rather than an income tax. Easy to exempt taxes on certain products or low-income people. No need for the IRS, no need to spend 50+ hours per year doing income tax filing (that's the average per person in the US), no need for zillions to be spent on tax attorney's, lobbyists trying to win loopholes, etc. Definitely not a republican vs democrat approach, because they would both lose a lot of power.
    I totally agree. Fair tax and no IRS = WIN. Not gonna happen in our time probably though

    Also, Not sure if the statement is true but I read a while ago that the amount of money the world spends on war in just 8 days would be enough to take care of all hunger. Even if it isn't true I'm sure the amount for one year would take care of it.

    So if you wanna cut spending, start with all the ridiculous wars in god forsaken countries far away. This alone will probably completely eliminate the need for tax reform.
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
  15. #95  
    @workerbee33 & themarco...you guys both have a good night...I am beat...also spent way too much time on this thread today. Everytime I received a notification (shameless Palm Pre plug) on my Palm Pre I was replying. Great having a discussion whether we agree or not...thanks and goodnight...
  16. #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post
    Workerb33 I don't know how much you earn but I'm personally in the 'under $250k bracket'. Can you explain to me what kind of 'unreasonable taxation' I'm currently a victim of that the tea party is going to take care of? I don't know if you've ever studied Republican tax plans but they don't do a thing for most people unless they are in brackets above the one I just mentioned. If you're in there, good for you. If you're not, the tea party movement nor the GOP isn't gonna do a thing for you.
    I've asked this question in here before, but liberals/democrats never really seem to have the balls to answer it....so maybe you will? What is the maximum federal tax that a person should be taxed at? Forget all the other taxes.....just federal tax. And you do understand that as it is right now, the more you earn, you are taxed at a higher percent, correct? You also understand that about 45% of working Americans pay no federal tax right now, correct? So again, how much should a successful person be taxed?
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

    "It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

    "I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
  17. #97  
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    In terms of income, I'm no where near a tax bracket that you think would benefit. I think we'd all benefit more if the gov spent less instead of more. Personally I support something called the "fair tax" which is essentially a consumption tax rather than an income tax. Easy to exempt taxes on certain products or low-income people. No need for the IRS, no need to spend 50+ hours per year doing income tax filing (that's the average per person in the US), no need for zillions to be spent on tax attorney's, lobbyists trying to win loopholes, etc. Definitely not a republican vs democrat approach, because they would both lose a lot of power.
    Alright....another Fair Tax guy! It is amazing how many people initially think the Fair Tax is horrible until you actully explain it to them. Usually, by the time I've explained it to someone they end up liking it. Unfortunately, likely a very, very long shot of getting past Congress. Grrrrrrrrrrrr....anyway, good to know there are some Fair Tax folks in here.
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

    "It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

    "I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
  18. #98  
    clemgrad85 this is a good question. Honestly, I don't know. I do know that with federal and state combined I pay more than I'd like. However there's a big BUT.

    I don't mind paying this tax if the money would be spent on things that actually benefit the people. Schools are a great example. The school my daughter is going to has so little money that they pretty much need to beg all parents to chip in with all sorts of things. I think this is completely ridiculous. I'd like to see my tax money go to that school. It would be nice if the US would utilize all of it's intellectual potential among children rather than only the ones among the top 10% that can afford ridiculously expensive private schools. It's flat out stupid not to from a government point of view.

    I don't mind paying tax. I do mind the money being spent on ridiculous nonsense, wars being the most important one, while people are starving and schools are struggling to stay afloat. It's ridiculous.
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
  19. #99  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post
    - Actively spreading rumors about the president being a Muslim
    - Denying homosexuals the fundamental right to marry
    - Promoting religion-driven government
    - Actively opposing the First Amendment (only applying it to white Christians and labeling everything else as 'dangerous' or 'a threat to the United States')

    Need I go on?

    Extra note about the first point: Even if he WAS a Muslim there's absolutely nothing in American law or the constitution that would make him unsuitable as a president. Nothing. Zip.
    Isn't obama against homosexuals marrying? As for people thinking obama is a muslim, probably has something to do with how he tends to kiss their constantly. I personally don't think he is a muslim, but my wife sure thinks he is. That's just her own personal belief and she isn't a member of the "tea party". You democrats sure are scared of the tea party though, quite amusing.
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

    "It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

    "I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
  20. #100  
    @CLEM, I don't know that he is a democrat, he's from europe. He has just been commenting on the whacky politics as lobbying nonsense in America - not taking any sides.

    BTW, I will answer the "how much" question:

    10%


    From every paycheck we give 10%, and save 10% right off the top. Why should the federal government have the expectation that they are entitled to more than God is?

    I wish a politician would run on that platform: 10% maximum tax with no deductions. If 10% is good enough for God, it's good enough for Americans!

    Has a nice ring to it, eh?
    Last edited by Workerb33; 08/30/2010 at 09:54 PM.
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions