Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 249
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by ferriskeanu View Post
    I concur...their is ignorance on both sides when they don't use facts in their arguments...I totally agree with you.

    You highlighted my link which made a statement about fox and msnbc...that is why it was mentioned. I listen to both sides whether I agree or not and look for the facts myself....especially with politicians...
    lack of knowledge of history and plain ignorance makes me angry even among common folk -- it completely infuriates me when it comes from someone who represents them self as a leader, a "teacher".

    I only heard a fraction of Beck's words -- but I caught a homily he told about the construction of the Washington Monument.

    No doubt most who heard him describe how its construction was suspended because of the Civil War accepted that he knew what he was talking about.



    "...Construction continued until 1854, when donations ran out. The next year, Congress voted to appropriate $200,000 to continue the work but rescinded before the money could be spent. This reversal came because of a new policy the society had adopted in 1849. ...It was just one commemorative stone that started the events that stopped the Congressional appropriation and ultimately construction altogether. In the early 1850s, Pope Pius IX contributed a block of marble. In March 1854, members of the anti-Catholic, nativist American Party—better known as the "Know-Nothings"—stole the Pope's stone as a protest and supposedly threw it into the Potomac (it was replaced in 1982). Then, in order to make sure the monument fit the definition of "American" at that time, the Know-Nothings conducted an election so they could take over the entire society". Congress immediately rescinded its $200,000 contribution.

    The Know-Nothings retained control of the society until 1858, adding 13 courses of masonry to the monument—all of which was of such poor quality it was later removed. Unable to collect enough money to finish work, they increasingly lost public support. The Know-Nothings eventually gave up and returned all records to the original society, but the stoppage in construction continued into, then after, the Civil War.

    Interest in the monument grew after the Civil War ended. Engineers studied the foundation several times to see whether it remained strong enough. In 1876, the Centennial of the Declaration of Independence, Congress agreed to appropriate another $200,000 to resume construction.[14] The monument, which had stood for nearly 20 years at less than one-third of its proposed height, now seemed ready for completion..."
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    I only get my news from Bill Mahar these days, he's the only guy left with any credibility.
    Well atleast you have a sense of humor...The Daily Show takes stabs at everyone...almost 50/50...I like that...now that's "Fair and Balanced" (plug for Fox...lol)...no matter what you watch it's all about checking the facts...not spewing rhetoric and soundbites...I try to get a dose of everybody whether I disagree or not...afterall I make the final decision for myself based on "facts" (I sure have used the word "facts" alot)
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by ferriskeanu View Post
    You obviusly skipped over the link on donations that I posted early in this thread...here it is again Obama, Democrats got 88 percent of 2008 contributions by TV network execs, writers, reporters | Washington Examiner You don't want to skip "facts" when making arguments...especially when they are one-sided arguments....
    actually, my comment was directed at your post. There is a difference between a company openly supporting a political party and individuals donating their own money. Or is that subtlety lost these days? If you don't like MSM, then just don't watch it, like I don't watch Fox. But they are far apart in their coverage of the news. Do you really think ABC covers events biased in the same way that Fox does? Not close.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    lack of knowledge of history and plain ignorance makes me angry even among common folk -- it completely infuriates me when it comes from someone who represents them self as a leader, a "teacher".

    I only heard a fraction of Beck's words -- but I caught a homily he told about the construction of the Washington Monument.

    No doubt most who heard him describe how its construction was suspended because of the Civil War accepted that he knew what he was talking about.



    "...Construction continued until 1854, when donations ran out. The next year, Congress voted to appropriate $200,000 to continue the work but rescinded before the money could be spent. This reversal came because of a new policy the society had adopted in 1849. ...It was just one commemorative stone that started the events that stopped the Congressional appropriation and ultimately construction altogether. In the early 1850s, Pope Pius IX contributed a block of marble. In March 1854, members of the anti-Catholic, nativist American Party—better known as the "Know-Nothings"—stole the Pope's stone as a protest and supposedly threw it into the Potomac (it was replaced in 1982). Then, in order to make sure the monument fit the definition of "American" at that time, the Know-Nothings conducted an election so they could take over the entire society". Congress immediately rescinded its $200,000 contribution.

    The Know-Nothings retained control of the society until 1858, adding 13 courses of masonry to the monument—all of which was of such poor quality it was later removed. Unable to collect enough money to finish work, they increasingly lost public support. The Know-Nothings eventually gave up and returned all records to the original society, but the stoppage in construction continued into, then after, the Civil War.

    Interest in the monument grew after the Civil War ended. Engineers studied the foundation several times to see whether it remained strong enough. In 1876, the Centennial of the Declaration of Independence, Congress agreed to appropriate another $200,000 to resume construction.[14] The monument, which had stood for nearly 20 years at less than one-third of its proposed height, now seemed ready for completion..."
    Heres another good one:

    Obama inheriting a 1.2 trillion dollar deficit. Lets start off by the fact that it was a Democrat controlled congress (no...I am not a republican). And it is congress that decides spending. Not to mention that Obama voted for 800 billion of the 1.2 trillion he says he inherited. How do you inherit something you voted for?

    I have a whole lot of myth vs fact just as I am sure you may or may not. I could go on and on...
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by ferriskeanu View Post
    Heres another good one:

    Obama inheriting a 1.2 trillion dollar deficit. Lets start off by the fact that it was a Democrat controlled congress (no...I am not a republican). And it is congress that decides spending. Not to mention that Obama voted for 800 billion of the 1.2 trillion he says he inherited. How do you inherit something you voted for?

    I have a whole lot of myth vs fact just as I am sure you may or may not. I could go on and on...
    EDIT: Also what is the logic behind spending more money than all former presidents combined so far?...I think Biden said it best when he said you must spend money to avoid bankruptsy...well that sounds logical?...
  6. #26  
    All the network news are slanted to the left...though, NBC & CBS are the worse. ABC is closer to the middle ground lately...but rest of these shows such as Oberman, Beck, O'Reilly, etc are opinion shows...I don't think any of them pretend they are reporting the news as much as commenting on the news. Maher, Stewart, & Colbert are comedy shows. CNN & Fox News do have shows that report the news but of course, Fox is center right, CNN is center left. Chris Wallace & Bret Baier do report the news as much as Anderson Cooper & they do ask good questions. Anyhow, the public needs to start thinking instead of being spoon fed information...
  7. #27  
    And what got us to this point to begin with?...lack of regulation?...yes..and it was in the form of fannie and freddie... I will let the facts speak for themselves...and even better...in the democrats own words.... [url= - Shocking Video Unearthed Democrats in their own words Covering up the Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac Scam that caused our Economic Crisis[/url]

    EDIT: Everybody deserves to be a homeowner even if it means living beyond their means...right?...and taxpayers should guarantee these loans in more than one way...right?...nevermind...it must be Bush's fault...right?...all wrong...even though I have criticism for George as well...heres link again...came out during edit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MGT_cSi7Rs&feature=youtube_gdata_player
    Last edited by ferriskeanu; 08/30/2010 at 06:48 AM.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kewl 700p View Post
    All the network news are slanted to the left...though, NBC & CBS are the worse. ABC is closer to the middle ground lately...but rest of these shows such as Oberman, Beck, O'Reilly, etc are opinion shows...I don't think any of them pretend they are reporting the news as much as commenting on the news. Maher, Stewart, & Colbert are comedy shows. CNN & Fox News do have shows that report the news but of course, Fox is center right, CNN is center left. Chris Wallace & Bret Baier do report the news as much as Anderson Cooper & they do ask good questions. Anyhow, the public needs to start thinking instead of being spoon fed information...
    Well said...I couldn't have stated this better...
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by ferriskeanu View Post
    And what got us to this point to begin with?...lack of regulation?...yes..and it was in the form of fannie and freddie... I will let the facts speak for themselves...and even better...in the democrats own words.... [url= - Shocking Video Unearthed Democrats in their own words Covering up the Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac Scam that caused our Economic Crisis[/url]

    EDIT: Everybody deserves to be a homeowner even if it means living beyond their means...right?...and taxpayers should guarantee these loans in more than one way...right?...nevermind...it must be Bush's fault...right?...all wrong...even though I have criticism for George as well...heres link again...came out during edit
    Thanks for clarifying your perspective. That makes your comments so much more useful. And congrats for staying on topic.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    Thanks for clarifying your perspective. That makes your comments so much more useful. And congrats for staying on topic.
    No problem!..
  11. Maturin's Avatar
    Posts
    165 Posts
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    #31  
    So is there anyone that we can all agree on, right or left, as being the most unbiased news organization of them all? We all know Fox and MSNBC ain't it.

    I, for one, vote PBS.
    HP Touchpad: I just cant quit you, baby.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Maturin View Post
    So is there anyone that we can all agree on, right or left, as being the most unbiased news organization of them all? We all know Fox and MSNBC ain't it.

    I, for one, vote PBS.
    Definitely not PBS...they lean a bit left...I would probably say cbs or abc news as a whole would be closest to the middle...however PBS has a reputation for leaning left...
  13. #33  
    The Onion!!!


    On a serious note, I read, not watch, box Fox and Cnn.com to get both sides.
  14. Maturin's Avatar
    Posts
    165 Posts
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by ferriskeanu View Post
    Definitely not PBS...they lean a bit left...I would probably say cbs or abc news as a whole would be closest to the middle...however PBS has a reputation for leaning left...
    I admit, I don't watch that much news. Didn't know that about PBS's reputation. I just find them relaxing to watch for some reason. Like they don't need to entertain you while giving you news.
    Actually, now thinking about it I can see what you mean. They do often have people on their opinion pieces with left leaning views.
    HP Touchpad: I just cant quit you, baby.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by Maturin View Post
    I admit, I don't watch that much news. Didn't know that about PBS's reputation. I just find them relaxing to watch for some reason. Like they don't need to entertain you while giving you news.
    Actually, now thinking about it I can see what you mean. They do often have people on their opinion pieces with left leaning views.
    Your right about the relaxing part...funny you said that. I will listen to NPR for that very same reason. I use to press the sleep button on my alarm and listen to the BBC radio late night to fall asleep. However I do like that about PBS...no need for news to be so high sytrung/dramatic all the time...the news speaks for itself without adding all the extras/fluff.
  16. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbdoinit View Post
    Yeah, what happened to all those threads? One person is gone and left a vacuum behind?
    No. I won all the arguments.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  17. #37  
    I work in the media. Radio/TV and now Print. I was a part time host on a twice weekly radio show.
    it is ultimately all about making money. I could say the sky is blue, and depending on who you are, and what your views are, I could be a leftist, liberal or a person just right of H.i.t.l.e.r., it is all perspective.
    Media should be neutral, however, where stories are just that, people complain. it is a loose loose thing for the press.
    Remember, even if a reporter only reports the facts, someone out there, will feel that it was slanted because the reporter didnt look at something they thought was important.
    Life is short, Play hard, and enjoy every moment as if it was your last.
  18. #38  
    we (and the media) are all biased to some extent. The key is to recognize what they are and be up front about it.

    It can show up in what isn't reported as well as what is. There was an excellent book about that by Bernard Goldberg called "Bias" that explains how and why bias exists on both sides.

    Worth grabbing at the library or getting for the kindle app (on your PC since there isn't a kindle reader for webOS...)
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    No. I won all the arguments.
    I am so glad you did, too. Things are so much nicer without all that random controversy.
  20. #40  
    Wait a minute.............................................................................................. ....................................................................................

    News has a slant? This news reminds me of when my childhood was shattered when I found mommy kissing Santa Claus....
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions