Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast
Results 181 to 200 of 249
  1. #181  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    I dunno, Workerb. I hear what you're saying - but heavy government control of industries, socialized medicine, social welfare programs for workers - essentially cradle to grave controls on your life - birth to death.... that's socialism then and now.

    It clearly is the same. No historic context needed.
    ??????!!!!!
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  2. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #182  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    ??????!!!!!
    Gawd I love your posts Barye! lol
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  3. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #183  
    That all said....


    I believe that politically slanted news is NOT ok!
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  4. #184  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    I dunno, Workerb. I hear what you're saying - but heavy government control of industries, socialized medicine, social welfare programs for workers - essentially cradle to grave controls on your life - birth to death.... that's socialism then and now.

    It clearly is the same. No historic context needed.
    that is true for terms like socialism and communism. But not 'left' and 'right'

    someone should post a list of despotic regimes throughout history and whether they were labeled left or right.
  5.    #185  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    ??????!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    Gawd I love your posts Barye! lol

    Usually, he's alot more eloquent.
  6.    #186  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    That all said....


    I believe that politically slanted news is NOT ok!
    Haha.
    Thank you!
  7. #187  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    Yes, I've seen several leftist blogs try to paint the "in his early years" whitewash. Bunk. It wasn't Hi4ler, it was the whole damn party's founding principle.
    Bull. What I've seen is the right wing trying to make **** Germany a leftist state...which is hilarious in its inaccuracy. Can't blame them for trying. After all, racism, eugenics, and genocide being acknowledged as right wing characteristics would irritate me too if I were them. But I'm not, and they're wrong. Germany was a far right wing fascist state, and that is acknowledged by historians, and has been, for a very long time now. Nice diversionary try, though.
  8. #188  
    when did racism become equivalent with the right?

    is that how it worked for all the lefties that fought the civil right movement?

    al gore senior, george wallace, a senator that was once in the kkk... Lots of southern democrats... Those guys were right wingers?

    geesh.
  9. #189  
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    when did racism become equivalent with the right?

    is that how it worked for all the lefties that fought the civil right movement?

    al gore senior, george wallace, a senator that was once in the kkk... Lots of southern democrats... Those guys were right wingers?

    geesh.
    you prove our point -- Southern Democrats who opposed civil rights -- people like Jeff Sessions from Alabama -- went to the GOP.

    Their titles were irrelevant to their views.

    Your list is strange in that it includes George Wallace -- who until he was paralyzed by Brenner was antagonistically anti-civil rights (though he did mellow toward the end of his pain filled life).

    Byrd and Gore senior were representatives of very conservative anti-civil rights constituencies -- they (Gore senior especially) took positions to reflect the values and opinions of their states -- not necessarily their own.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  10. #190  
    bird was in the kkk only because he was in west virginia?. Barye, you disappoint me.

    wallace wasn't really a racist, but alabama voters made him pretend? And after he was shot, he secretly became a republican.

    dude, you know better than to post something like that and miss the actual point.

    as a journalist, your bias is showing so I guess your answer to the OP is yes.
  11. #191  
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    bird was in the kkk only because he was in west virginia?. Barye, you disappoint me.

    wallace wasn't really a racist, but alabama voters made him pretend? And after he was shot, he secretly became a republican.

    dude, you know better than to post something like that and miss the actual point.

    as a journalist, your bias is showing so I guess your answer to the OP is yes.
    Byrd regretted his KKK participation -- and apologized for it for most of his life. It no doubt helped him originally when he ran for political office in W Va.

    Where did you find in my words anything to support what you are saying in regards Wallace.

    Again: George Wallace "was antagonistically anti-civil rights (though he did mellow toward the end of his pain filled life)."

    He was an unapologetic demagogue -- who would say or advocate anything if it brought him power and influence -- irrespective of the social harm it caused.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  12. #192  
    the point is that they were on the left aisle while holding those positions. And that's because the words right and racist are not and never have been synonyms.
  13. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #193  
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    Bull. What I've seen is the right wing trying to make **** Germany a leftist state...which is hilarious in its inaccuracy. Can't blame them for trying. After all, racism, eugenics, and genocide being acknowledged as right wing characteristics would irritate me too if I were them. But I'm not, and they're wrong. Germany was a far right wing fascist state, and that is acknowledged by historians, and has been, for a very long time now. Nice diversionary try, though.
    I can see that you'll not budge from your stance, which is fine. But facts are facts. Germany was a fascist influenced socialist state - economically, socially, and much of its political structure.

    As for racism - racism was/is a countrywide condition - it's not in a left or right camp, but in all camps - You might wish to check out some of your Democratic heroes like FDR and Woodrow Wilson before you cast stones. Wilson was a huge racist that resegregated the military. FDR locked up 1000s of families into concentration camps and took away everything they had because of their race.

    Eugenics and genocide, again, are neither right nor left. Not everything has to be placed in one 'camp' over the other, David.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  14. #194  
    +1
  15. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #195  
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    bird was in the kkk only because he was in west virginia?. Barye, you disappoint me.

    wallace wasn't really a racist, but alabama voters made him pretend? And after he was shot, he secretly became a republican.

    dude, you know better than to post something like that and miss the actual point.

    as a journalist, your bias is showing so I guess your answer to the OP is yes.
    Here I think is an example of where historical context is important. In those days, the kkk held much of the local and state political power in many states. I think byrd did what he thought he needed to do to get ahead in politics. I don't know what was in his heart. But many many people simply thought that way - they were indoctrinated and raised to believe such nonsense. I forgive Byrd, personally. Wallace recanted his ideals towards the end and asked for forgiveness too, if I remember right...
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  16. #196  
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    I only get my news from Bill Mahar these days, he's the only guy left with any credibility.
    I disagree strongly. John Stewart is the most trusted name in news at my house.
  17. #197  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    Here I think is an example of where historical context is important. In those days, the kkk held much of the local and state political power in many states. I think byrd did what he thought he needed to do to get ahead in politics. I don't know what was in his heart. But many many people simply thought that way - they were indoctrinated and raised to believe such nonsense. I forgive Byrd, personally. Wallace recanted his ideals towards the end and asked for forgiveness too, if I remember right...
    true, but the point is that the words right and racism are NOT synonyms and never have been.

    it doesn't matter why someone took a position or that they repented later in life. It matters that racism is not exclusively left or right, as was stated so well in a recent post by the very wise micael
  18. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #198  
    I wasn't arguing your point. Mine were simply anedotal comments. Sorry of they were off-point.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  19.    #199  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    Sorry if they were off-point.
    This whole THREAD is off-point, lol.
  20. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #200  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbdoinit View Post
    This whole THREAD is off-point, lol.
    dbd, if you want sedate on topic threads, stop starting ones with volatile subjects! lol

    You're famous for skirting volatility and then acting surprised when we take the bait and roll off on these predictable tangents!
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

Posting Permissions