Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I recently came up with this idea and just wanted to share it, since it is a very good one. If you are like me and live far away from family and people you trust/are close to, you may find yourself really glad you did this one.

I suggest that in whatever manner you can, you create an emergency contact listing in your phone.

Just a little over a week ago, I was in severe medical emergency, unconscious and therefore, unable to tell the ER medical team who to contact and I have no one nearby or whom I live with, that could authorize treatment or communicate with the medical team.

While they were treating me, to save my life, someone had to stand there and figure out how to use my Pre and search my contacts for someone to call. Luckily, I did have my dad listed as just that: DAD, so once they found it, they called him.

This also made me really glad this was a day I did not have my phone pin-locked!

However, if I'd have something set-up for whom to contact in an emergency, it would have saved a lot of time. There are moments where a few seconds is enough to save a life.

I've got the LaunchPoint app in my Pre, that I used to create icons for fast contact to the people I am in touch with the most and have now used it to create an EMERGENCY CONTACT icon.

Under the space where it lets you list company information, I've typed: IN CASE OF EMERGENCY PLEASE CONTACT:

I then list who they people are, that I trust to authorize emergency care/treatment, in case such a thing would ever happen again, along with the numbers and/or email addresses to reach them immediately.

After my experience, I realize how important this can be and just wanted to share it, because you never really know what's going to happen.

I was REALLY lucky that when I actually passed out, I was already in the ER.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    as a volunteer firefighter we are told to look for a contact entry called "ice" (in case of emergency) it's a good idea to have one in your phone in case you are not responsive to emergency personnel....
    "The union forces me to allow you to go to lunch in spite of the way you've played. Those of you with consciences will not be able to eat. And those of you whose consciences match your talents... go stuff yourselves. I hope you choke".....Maestro, The Money Pit
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    love both of these ideas... thanks
    “We are stronger than we think we are. We have courage that we do not recognize until we need it. We are equal to challenges that we haven't even imagined yet.”
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by vbockius View Post
    as a volunteer firefighter we are told to look for a contact entry called "ice" (in case of emergency) it's a good idea to have one in your phone in case you are not responsive to emergency personnel....
    Excellent idea, I just used emergency contact, because I figured that can be pretty universally understood!
    I've always had an "ICE" contact in my phones (and made sure my friends and family do too). Glad you are bringing this back up as a reminder for everyone.

@verwon - hope you are feeling better and it wasn't anything serious!
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    I've always had an "ICE" contact in my phones (and made sure my friends and family do too). Glad you are bringing this back up as a reminder for everyone.

@verwon - hope you are feeling better and it wasn't anything serious!
    Thank you, I am feeling much better!
    Here's to a speedy recovery... you should never have to find yourself or loved ones in a similar situation ever again... feel better soon.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    Here's to a speedy recovery... you should never have to find yourself or loved ones in a similar situation ever again... feel better soon.
    Thank you! Really scared me to death and I do hope never to repeat it.
    Actually, I created an ICE app that I've got on the launcher for both of our Pre's (my wife and mine) that's hard-coded with our information. I've thought about releasing a version on homebrew and/or creating a tutorial for it, but unfortunately, I haven't had the time to complete it.

Maybe I'll go back to work on it since the idea has been brought back to my mind. My concern, however, is if I use cookies or the data store for information, I'm worried about it getting lost on a reset or other malfunction. Likewise, I can't rely on Web-based cloud, since there might not be a data connection. (I'm starting to see why I stopped working on this.)
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa
    I read about ICE several years ago. I read it is even used in Europe but that was a long time ago. My main ICE contact is my sister in another state. I put in a second ICE Local for a friend here, and I added an ICE Doctor with his name and number.

I also gave a list to my Sister and friend of those emergency contact numbers. I got my friend's info and had my family members exchange the info also.
  11.    #11  
    Everyone really should do this. My son is 15 and carries his phone everywhere, so I am going to have him do it, with both his dad's and my information.
    I would also recommend a sticker either on the phone or a card in the wallet, just in case the phone dies. For example, in an auto accident. I'd also include doctor's phone #, medications and allergies in the notes of the contact.

However, some do view this as a privacy concern if your phone or wallet is stolen. So, you do have to determine which is more important to you.
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

13.    #13  
    The people they would reach for me would have all the details they need and I'd rather take the risk of my phone dying, in that case. I am a very private person.
    Quote Originally Posted by SFHandyman View Post
    I read about ICE several years ago. I read it is even used in Europe but that was a long time ago. My main ICE contact is my sister in another state. I put in a second ICE Local for a friend here, and I added an ICE Doctor with his name and number...
    Just need to add an ICE ICE Baby... and you are all set!

.... do I really need to explain that joke for the 90's crowd? heh heh
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Just need to add an ICE ICE Baby... and you are all set!

.... do I really need to explain that joke for the 90's crowd? heh heh
    I'm kind of giving away my age here, but VANILLA........
    To add one more validation for entering this as "ICE" or "I.C.E.," my first wife's father drove the ladder truck for a living, and he always said the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    It is as if you said that the result a dog and a cat mating was a giraffe. It's so completely wrong, that it's difficult to argue with someone who believes it to be true.
    I really should try it. All my contacts are save on my Palm profile. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by hellonnnewman View Post
    just need to add an ice ice baby... And you are all set! :d
    lol :d

EDIT: this is really irritating - the forum keeps changing my post - LOL - from uppercase to lowercase causing the smiley to break in the process. :/
    Last edited by SFHandyman; 08/23/2010 at 11:52 PM.
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I do have a working I.C.E. (non-hard coded) application for my Pre. I plan on creating 2 versions: A free/lite version and a paid version.

Before I finalize it and post it to the Homebrew section, I just wanted to know what people think of the following:

Free/lite version:
    -Allows a single contact (Right now, it's manual entry via textboxes, but as soon as I figure out the People Picker, I plan on allowing you to select from the Contacts list.)
    -Allows personal information: Blood Type and Date of Birth

Full version:
    -Allows multiple contacts (I plan on allowing up to 3)
    -Also has the personal information listed above
    -Has a section for Allergies/Sensitivities
    -Has a section for medication

The reasoning for 2 versions is that I would like to post this as a paid app, but I also think that everyone should have a basic I.C.E. app on their phones.

So, what do you think?

Any suggestions for additional info to be added?
    Richard Neff

Paid app should allow more than 3 contacts...and I do think this is a great app idea!

[i]-- Sent from my Palm PrPrPr
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast