Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1.    #1  
    thought id pull a jay...

    Take care
    §④②™Ź


    Fanboyism: When Expression Meets Desperation



    Much ink has been spilled, and many a pixel lit, on objects to which people feel an unreasonable loyalty. Blood, too, depending on whether you’re willing to classify the likes of Crusaders and soccer hooligans as fan-boys. And why not? These rivalries, from the biblical to the forum-bound, all have a certain distinctive unreason to them. Yet there is nothing more reasonable than sticking by your choices, your judgments, your perceptions — your brands.

    So how do things get so venomous? It seems like pitchforks are issued with every browser these days. Let’s see if we can make sense of why so many of us end up escalating to such absurd heights something so clearly trivial.

    Confession

    To begin with, let’s have a little therapy session. I want you to repeat after me: “I am a fan-boy.” Or fangirl. Go ahead, say it. You don’t have to actually say it. But recognize that you are one — not necessarily for something obvious, or in an obvious way, but you are. Okay, I’ll start. I’m a not-using-Twitter fan-boy. I’ve written about it before, and even though my friends and colleagues make excellent arguments for it, I refuse to. Why? Because it’s one of the things on which I can take a stand and (this is crucial) see the effect of that stand.

    That’s really all there is to it, isn’t it? We all want to take a stand, we all want a conflict, we all want to be fighting for the right side of something. And the fact is that for some of us, our brand choices are among the most important things in our lives. Yes, brand shapes us more than we’d like to admit (it’s arguable even that our religions and political parties are increasingly brandlike. That was actually part of the discussion that led to this article: buying a webOS tablet over iOS or Android would be like voting for Nader. Well, there was more to it than that, but you get the idea). There’s a sort of existential nausea that accompanies this banality, so we create entire mythologies peripheral to those choices in order to increase the scope of the conflict.

    How else could Mac versus PC, or iPhone versus Android, devolve into meta-discussions of rights to privacy, corporate mottos, the personality traits of executives? Like pedantic philosophers, we abstract ourselves again and again from the real issue, until we’re arguing about the meaning of “is.” And on those levels of abstraction, it’s difficult to prove anything one way or the other. And that’s just the way we like it, because then we can argue forever from an unassailable position, and because the issues have become so fundamental, we can entertain a lively and very real disdain for our opponents and their brands.

    Displacement

    The thing is, this sort of obfuscation doesn’t really work in person. And very few people actually like arguing for more than a minute or two about such trivial brands as PC and Mac. Online, though? Oh my. Oh brother.

    As many others have noted, anonymity combines on the internet with an inflated sense of authority to create the fearsome flame-beast. Safe in our basements, we can say things we wouldn’t dare say in person. Though we may argue with an acquaintance in a bar over whether the Xbox 360 or PS3 has the better game library, there is a ceiling to the discussion beyond which the greater number of us, being naturally meek and inexperienced in true conflict, will simply acquiesce and move on.

    Online, though, there is no ceiling, or if there is, it’s more of a mile marker than a warning. Personal insults, then using Latin names for fallacies, and eventually making Holocaust comparisons are just stages of the debate.

    But it isn’t simply because we’ve taken the limiter off the argument (“when people stop being polite – and start getting real”), exactly, but because of the weight we have to put on the subject. Have to, because we have no other subjects on which to place that weight.

    Substitution

    At the risk of enraging the religious subset of our readership, I think the most appropriate comparison is to holy wars and other god-related conflicts. Territorial disputes gain a certain flavor when spiced by conflicts of celestial ambit. This spiritual umami is the only thing that can precipitate such enormities as genocide and holy conquest, and in order to justify such things it is often simulated.

    It’s the same for fan-boy arguments. You’d have trouble making it to Holocaust-grade raillery on the strength of two competing products’ app stores. But add a dash of that delicious right to privacy, or the notion of censorship, and the argument takes on a life of its own.

    It may be that fan-boy arguments serve the same purpose as religion, as famously expressed by Marx. Perhaps if he were writing this article, he might have said (though probably not): “Fanboy distress is at the same time the expression of real distress and the protest against real distress. Fanboyism is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. It is the opium of the internet.” Lacking anything real in life, the fan-boy latches onto that which he has, and imbues it with the significance he craves. Fanboyism is an expression of the intellectual desperation we all feel resulting from the trivial trappings of internet culture.

    Or maybe nerds just like to argue.
  2.    #2  
    as a side note ... i cant believe the title didnt get ****** out
  3. #3  
    I never really read CrunchGear, but that was a pretty interesting article. The comments are pretty hilarious/ridicules but one commenter actually said something that really stuck out to me.

    “Son, no one gives a **** about all the things your cell phone does. You didn’t invent it, you just bought it. Anybody can do that.”

    We should all read that quote and remember that buying a certain phone means relatively little in the grand scheme of things.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    I never really read CrunchGear, but that was a pretty interesting article. The comments are pretty hilarious/ridicules but one commenter actually said something that really stuck out to me.

    “Son, no one gives a **** about all the things your cell phone does. You didn’t invent it, you just bought it. Anybody can do that.”

    We should all read that quote and remember that buying a certain phone means relatively little in the grand scheme of things.
    i would like to add that while we all may be fan-boys/girls of a product... the point that i believe is hidden in the article is that we're all anti fan-boys of something...

    im actually a fan-boy of being anti fan-boy... show me a product based on its performance fluidity ease of use etc... and im there...


    i think that fan-boyism usually wheres off after 2.5 to 3 years as a general rule... as you see many Original iPhone userss jumping ship while adopters of the 2g or 3gs are still on the bandwagon... so maybe thats the answer ...

    really there is no fan-boyism!!! just a waiting period of 2.5 to 3 years...
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    i would like to add that while we all may be fan-boys/girls of a product... the point that i believe is hidden in the article is that we're all anti fan-boys of something...

    im actually a fan-boy of being anti fan-boy... show me a product based on its performance fluidity ease of use etc... and im there...


    i think that fan-boyism usually wheres off after 2.5 to 3 years as a general rule... as you see many Original iPhone userss jumping ship while adopters of the 2g or 3gs are still on the bandwagon... so maybe thats the answer ...

    really there is no fan-boyism!!! just a waiting period of 2.5 to 3 years...
    Like the article said, fanboyism comes from the need to justify purchases, as well as the us vs. them mentality that is ingrained in humanity. I think this is also where the anti-******, or hater, mentality comes from. I bought x because it does x, x and x. The other product doesn't do x,x, and x as well so it must be crap, and anyone that buys said crap is a moron whose opinion deserves to be ignored.

    I realize my fanboyisms (Palm most notably, but I also have strong ****** convictions towards the music/movies/games I like) and try to be a self aware ******. What I mean by that is, I understand that I believe one brand/artist/movie etc. is my favorite over the competition...but I do try to look at it from the other side and keep in mind that other people have good reasons to like stuff I don't particularly care for.
  6. #6  
    well written considering he's such a Twiter luddite... See what I did there?
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    well written considering he's such a Twiter luddite... See what I did there?
    Lol... actually no... LoL... brains on overload today running on 2 hours sleep
  8. #8  
    he was talking about when the discussion heats up and names are called. So I called him a name while sweetly paying him a compliment...
  9. DDT1345's Avatar
    Posts
    152 Posts
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post

    “Son, no one gives a **** about all the things your cell phone does. You didn’t invent it, you just bought it. Anybody can do that.”

    We should all read that quote and remember that buying a certain phone means relatively little in the grand scheme of things.
    My father has a similar, but more generic saying. When anyone wants to show off, most notably when someone has an expensive/fast car and there is a comment made about it, he'll say "...and $1.50 will get you a ride on the New York City subway..." (I think it's actually $2 now).

    It puts it all into perspective. Some people choose to spend their money on fast cars or iPhones, others choose different. No one person cooler than the next, although the guy revving his engine at the light next to me might think he is more cool, but in thinking that he doesn't realize he makes himself lame.

    Makes me think of the motorcycle gang episode of South Park.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    he was talking about when the discussion heats up and names are called. So I called him a name while sweetly paying him a compliment...
    I thought luddite was the name of a group of people. Didn't realize it's derogotory connotation.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    Like the article said, fanboyism comes from the need to justify purchases, as well as the us vs. them mentality that is ingrained in humanity. I think this is also where the anti-******, or hater, mentality comes from. I bought x because it does x, x and x. The other product doesn't do x,x, and x as well so it must be crap, and anyone that buys said crap is a moron whose opinion deserves to be ignored.

    I realize my fanboyisms (Palm most notably, but I also have strong ****** convictions towards the music/movies/games I like) and try to be a self aware ******. What I mean by that is, I understand that I believe one brand/artist/movie etc. is my favorite over the competition...but I do try to look at it from the other side and keep in mind that other people have good reasons to like stuff I don't particularly care for.
    Right on...
    I consider myself an anti f.a.n.b.o.y... webOS f.a.n.b.o.y.
    What i mean by that is... i never cared for an Iphone. The friends/coworkers that were touting social superiority with them was nauseating.
    I am a big underdog fan. I find it weak when people look down on others for having less..physically / $$$ / fill in the blank.
    I looked forward to Palm releasing the Pre... to have an alternative to the Iphone.... because no matter how the iphone stacks up... Apple biz practices and the millions that fork over $$$ to feel superior... are as lame as the guy reving the sports car at the traffic light.
    I always say that the iphone /evo are good phones. i tell my friends and users that. I just dont buy into the apple culture and google advertising empire. For me its a choice of ecosystem. If apple and google are fine with them(friends/users)... cool, not for me.
    I am a big fan of "sleeper" muscle cars that surprise the hell out of mustang/corvette owners etc.
    Nothing like the look on a guys face when his $$$ porsche cayenne gets dusted off the line by a Jeep Cherokee srt8 ( my bro owns a 2007).



    Porsche catches up and wins by a car length...
    the diff... $57k dollars

    Compare 2010 Porsche Cayenne Turbo SUV Turbo Sport Utility Competitors | Fuel Economy, Engine, Horsepower, Tires, Suspension & Other Comparisons at Automotive.com
    There is more to these two cars... just making a point.

    I am rooting for Palm... mainly because i want to see the turds who buy the latest and greatest... then run around craping on others... sht up. I have the $$ to buy any new phone out there, but want to stick with webOS ecosystem.
    I love the fact I can OC/ patch my pre... and it hangs in there... awesome.
    Last edited by clutch1222; 08/23/2010 at 09:06 AM.
  12. #12  
    I think i found another webOS ******....

    rahulsood: why I love webOS

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions