Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    I just saw a television commercial where Sam Adams brewery was actually bragging about the fact that they only account for .9% of US beer sales. I found it interesting that it's my favorite beer. And webOS is my favorite mobile operating system. What's our current slice on the pie chart? It's usually the smallest :P
    love sam adams just finished a bottle of cherry wheat! Yum!!!
    Good Taste in Beer and operating systems?
    <This Page is Blank>
    im not a beer drinker really... maybe someone can enlighten me on what is the diff between an Ale and a Lager?
    I don't like beers tried so many nothing sticks i hate 'em all. =D
    I wish i can find a beer that i like
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    im not a beer drinker really... maybe someone can enlighten me on what is the diff between an Ale and a Lager?
    They use different yeasts, and are made at different temperatures. There are exceptions, but in general, ales use "top-fermenting" yeasts and are brewed at higher temperatures than lagers, which use "bottom-fermenting" strains.

Anchor Steam beer is an interesting case: it's an ale made with lager yeast.

Yeast Guide - BeerAdvocate
    sorry, i understand that they are diff processes , i meant to the end drinker what are the diff , why would someone choose a lager over an ale, and is there a general taste diff bet the two or is it like sprite vs 7up or coke vs pepsi etc...
    sorry, i understand that they are diff processes , i meant to the end drinker what are the diff , why would someone choose a lager over an ale, and is there a general taste diff bet the two or is it like sprite vs 7up or coke vs pepsi etc...
    Yes, there are generally taste differences, but since yeast isn't the only thing that contributes to taste, it's difficult to pin down a difference at that simplistic of a level. Generally, the lagering process leads to a 'crisper' or 'cleaner' finish.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Quote Originally Posted by darkzone View Post
    I don't like beers tried so many nothing sticks i hate 'em all. =D
    I wish i can find a beer that i like
    What flavors do you like? There is almost definitely a beer that can match it?
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    so standard corona, Budweiser, Heineken etc.. are Ale's
    most all BMC(bud miller coors) are lagers
    Quote Originally Posted by millworkman View Post
    most all BMC(bud miller coors) are lagers
    really ....so maybe ill try a good ale... any suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    What flavors do you like? There is almost definitely a beer that can match it?
    I like mixed drink...i can drink Hard Lemonade, sex on the beach. long island etc etc. but beers i tried so many i cant stand it.
    so standard corona, Budweiser, Heineken etc.. are Ale's
    No, those are lagers. Generally their goal is to produce an alcohol delivery system with little to no discernible taste. Usually the only aroma you'll get out of them is the 'skunky' flavor when they've had too much light exposure. That is excepting the slight green apple aroma in Budweiser which is a byproduct of their house yeast and quick fermentation and lagering.

If you want to see what a true pilsner is, pick up a Budvar (or Czechvar as it's marketed in the US) or Pilsner Urquell.
    really ....so maybe ill try a good ale... any suggestions?
    On the light side of things, a Kolsch is a good summer ale. You probably can't find it anywhere outside of Louisiana, but Abita's current Select offering is a Double Kolsch that is really good. A Scots Ale (often called Scottish Ales) is one of my favorite things in the world. The Sam Adams Boston Ale is actually close to that style, but Belhaven is what I'd consider a benchmark. On the dark side of the spectrum are Stouts like Guinness, which is actually pretty mild for a stout.
    Quote Originally Posted by darkzone View Post
    I like mixed drink...i can drink Hard Lemonade, sex on the beach. long island etc etc. but beers i tried so many i cant stand it.
    You should try some lambics. It's a Belgian style. Generally, they ferment them with fruit. Framboise (raspberry) is a very popular one, but there are also Peche (Peach), Kriek (Cherry), and Pomme (Apple). Careful when you pour, though. Most of them are naturally carbonated in the bottle, so there may be a little residual yeast at the bottom.
    You should try some lambics. It's a Belgian style. Generally, they ferment them with fruit. Framboise (raspberry) is a very popular one, but there are also Peche (Peach), Kriek (Cherry), and Pomme (Apple). Careful when you pour, though. Most of them are naturally carbonated in the bottle, so there may be a little residual yeast at the bottom.
    Awesome, gonna save the name =)
    I will give it a try.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    On the light side of things, a Kolsch is a good summer ale. You probably can't find it anywhere outside of Louisiana, but Abita's current Select offering is a Double Kolsch that is really good. A Scots Ale (often called Scottish Ales) is one of my favorite things in the world. The Sam Adams Boston Ale is actually close to that style, but Belhaven is what I'd consider a benchmark. On the dark side of the spectrum are Stouts like Guinness, which is actually pretty mild for a stout.
    Sounds like we should get together and drink some beer. Good taste in beer.

I am a fan of Abita, drank much of it when travelling to NO. I can buy it here in my local distributor but priced like an import at over $30 a case.
    Dan
    I'm a pilsner man myself, Stella and Warsteiner. When it comes to light beers though, I haven't had anything as light (and good tasting) as Warsteiner hi-lite, definitely worth trying. Can't say I'm a fan of domestic beers, unless it's maybe a microbrewer out here in NY.
    Quote Originally Posted by djmcgee View Post
    Sounds like we should get together and drink some beer. Good taste in beer.
    If we're ever in the same space, I'd be up for it.
    I am a fan of Abita, drank much of it when travelling to NO. I can buy it here in my local distributor but priced like an import at over $30 a case.
    You can find their base beers (Amber, Turbodog, etc.) pretty far and wide, but the Selects are limited edition rotating draft-only offerings. I almost always have Turbodog on draft whenever I don't have my beers in the kegerator. It's OK in the bottle, but on draft, it's sublime.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast