1.    #1  
    Hi all,

Like it or not for now it is true!

Take care,

Jay

The New Yardstick: If Youíre Not Apple, You Lose

By ADAM JACKSON of GigaOm, August 20, 2010

The New Yardstick - If You’re Not Apple, You Lose - NYTimes.com

For 2009 and 2010, the clear winner in consumer electronics is Apple. Its mindshare among analysts and consumers is far beyond any other company. Iíd even go so far as to declare Apple the most successful tech company of this decade. Thatís why I feel sorry for every other company in this space.

No matter what your company did in the past two years, Apple did it better. It reminds me of Sony in the 80s and Microsoft in the 90s. Companies were afraid of Microsoft in the 90s. All Microsoft had to do is decide to enter your space and youíd be out of business, if you werenít lucky enough to be bought by the company. Thatís not the case anymore. In this sense, Apple is the Microsoft of this decade.

Letís take a look at RIMís BlackBerry Torch, just released last week. Gizmodo had a great post on why the Torch launch was an utter failure, with only 150K units sold in the first week. In that article, they said:

The hordes are proclaiming the Torch a massive failure, and theyíre right ó but not because of how many units they sold. 150,000 handsets is a lot of phones. In fact, itís totally in line with other major launches of the last couple of years: Sprint sold that many Evo 4Gs in its first three days, and itís three times as many as the Palm Pre managed at launch.

Who it didnít compete with, of course, is the iPhone. The 3GS and 3G both moved a million over their opening weekends, and 1.7 million people took home an iPhone 4 at launch. And thatís where RIM got into trouble.

Theyíre right. 150K units is a great number, but it doesnít compare to Appleís 1+ million numbers every time a new iPhone comes out. Thatís the point. The Blackberry Torch, HTC Evo and Palm Pre all look like complete failures when measured against Apple.

Recently, Asus said theyíre lowering production of netbooks due to a lower sales forecast. Nowhere in that quote did their CEO say Appleís iPad is to blame, but it didnít stop every blogger from making that causal link. What about the fact that netbooks have had the same Intel Atom processors, same form factor, same low-resolution monitors and same version of Windows XP on them since 2006 as the reason for lower sales? Maybe itís time for Asus to actually innovate instead of putting the same stuff inside a different color case and throwing a $299 price tag on it.

The specifics of how other companies are doing doesnít really matter. The issue is that, no matter what any tech company does, theyíll be compared to Apple in some way. Tech companies canít release a mouse, display, keyboard or television-connected device without being compared to Apple. Iíd like to see Microsoft release a battery charger at this point without drawing a negative comparison. Wait, never mind, they have one of those.

My point is, Apple is the yard stick by which all others are measured. There are better products out there with zero visibility and meager sales. In fact, the next Apple is probably out there somewhere. Letís hope manufacturers donít just throw up their hands and scale back in the face of stiff competition from Cupertino, and as consumers letís keep an eye out for the next little guy swimming bravely upstream.

Related GigaOM Pro Research: Apple Company Analysis

Copyright 2010 GigaOm. All Rights Reserved.

GigaOm is an independent blog network.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    The funny thing is Asus did innovate The ee pc sold like gang busters and launched the netbook but this dude doesn't remember that. I agree it will be tough to compete with apple but htc seems to be doing pretty well and Motorola is back. The fifty pound gorilla he's missing is Google and android. Apple is a machine But doesn't mean someone can't wedge in and grow there market share. I guess apple won or maybe there hardware is only available on one us carrier. Someone allowed android to get a huge foothold because they had a spat with big red. O well I have a pre and i am rooting for the underdog. Anyway I'm sick of these media types worship of apple.
    Last edited by yaggermr; 08/20/2010 at 10:04 PM. Reason: spelling
    I think of the decade is going to far.. Google came out of nothing, and became one of the biggest. Took down yahoo, and became a serious threat to Microsoft, Apple, Garmin, Tom Tom, and others I forget. Google is now selling more android devices then apple is iphones. And i know, I know "well android runs all more than one device, etc..".. Yes, but it was the same thing with microsoft, and apple back in the day, and they became the big threat to everyone. Until they ignored mobile that is.

What apple has done is nothing short of amazing, but let's not forget what some other companies have achieved.
    Quote Originally Posted by yaggermr View Post
    The funny thing is Asus did innovate The ee pc sold like gang busters and launched the netbook but this dude doesn't remember that. ...
    Asus begat the netbook -- and created a new PC market.

Then M$ and Intel strangled this baby in its crib -- for fear that it would decimate full featured laptops.

If Intel and M$ would liberate Asus and the other OEMs, the netbook run would accelerate -- and maybe be able to take on the iPad as opposed to losing out to it.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    I enjoy these articles. thanks.
    ďWe are stronger than we think we are. We have courage that we do not recognize until we need it. We are equal to challenges that we haven't even imagined yet.Ē
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by mhill0823 View Post
    I enjoy these articles. thanks.
    Thank you. I enjoy reading on very wide variety of subjects...I am so glad others enjoy me sharing some of it.

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group