1.    #1  
    Hi all,

After spend much of my time, in the last 17 years in Physical Therapy, good posture ALWAYS makes good sense.

Take care,

Jay

Students beware: Heavy laptop usage leads to bad posture, physical pain
    By Sean Portnoy | August 17, 2010, 6:00pm PDT

Students beware: Heavy laptop usage leads to bad posture, physical pain | ZDNet

Feel like a slave to your laptop? That “addiction” can hurt you in ways beyond affecting your social life. According to a new report from the University of North Carolina School of Medicine, heavy use of a notebook computer can lead to any number of physical ailments, including headaches, muscle soreness in your neck and back, and — no surprise here — carpal tunnel syndrome.

The researchers suggest that because laptops are built with unified body construction, users are left with few ways to work with them that would reduce the risk of long-term physical pain. Hunching down to see your screen can lead to bad posture, and nerve damage to your wrists can come from awkward placement of your hands while typing on cramped keyboards. (Of course, plenty of people get carpal tunnel syndrome using desktop keyboards as well.)

Students heading off to college, laptop in tow, can be particularly susceptible to these injuries while using their computer for hours on end. The UNC researchers offer several recommendations to minimize the potential damage. Some require an outlay that may not fit in your budget — an adjustable chair with back support (i.e., not the desk chair found standard in a dorm room), a docking station and external monitor to give you a bigger view of your work while you’re at your desk — but there are also some no-cost tips. For instance, take breaks every 20 minutes while working to shift your body position and stretch your muscles. You should also drink plenty of water, which, among many other benefits, keeps the discs in your back sufficiently lubricated.

Any other tips to combat “laptop fatigue syndrome” (my term not theirs)? Let us know in the Comments section.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I read your post and I sat up a little straighter...

If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    Visit your local Chiropractor!! Of course I am biased since that is what I'm going to school for. There's nothing like a good upper back and neck adjustment after a long week of studying.
    Bad Posture
    Physical Pain
    and... roasted chestnuts

if ya want to have kids...protect the jewels
  5.    #5  
    hi all,

After my 1st spinal surgery, I asked the Dr. I f I could have a new body, (I told him whose I like and whose I would settle for)....anyway, he said, why should I give you, what I expressly cannot give myself.....LOL, LMAO...........so I am stuck with this body and hand a second spinal surgery!

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    maybe this is why I'm always in pain. My back is always sore. My neck, stiff.

It's either my bed or my incessant use of my computer.

Spine never hurts though. Just my entire back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Strikerage View Post
    maybe this is why I'm always in pain. My back is always sore. My neck, stiff.

It's either my bed or my incessant use of my computer.

Spine never hurts though. Just my entire back.
    Just?
    bad posture puts a lot of extra stress on the spine and the muscles that support it. A misalignment in the spine can make this worse by causing muscles to spasm even more in an attempt to brace the spine. All of this can create inflammation that also adds pain. Any of the above, in combination or alone, can irritate the nerves that exit the spine. Irritating these nerves can cause pain, tingling, numbness, or muscle weakness pretty much anywhere in the body (this is why a problem in your neck can cause symptoms that mimic carpel tunnel). The longer you stay in a "problematic" state, the more likely you are to develop adaptations that can make recovery take a long time.

this is why proper posture is so important, and why getting your spine checked by a chiropractor is as important as getting your teeth checked by a dentist.
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    This reminds me of that dell comercial "Pack up all your troubles in your old kit bag and smile smile smile" I think thats how it goes o.O
    Welcome to our world, we are the wasted youth, and we are the future too.
    http://diegoeatspandas.tumblr.com/ <--Tumblr<3 Follow.
    Might as well rename this the guilt thread. I have horrible posture.