Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1.    #1  
    Teen hearing loss on the rise | Standard-Examiner – Ogden, Layton, Brigham, Weber, Davis, Sports, Entertainment, Dining, Utah Jazz, Real Salt Lake, Ogden Raptors, Top of Utah News


    Teen hearing loss on the rise

    Tuesday, August 17, 2010


    Some experts are urging teenagers to turn down the volume on their digital music players, suggesting loud music through earbuds may be to blame -- although hard evidence is lacking. They warn that slight hearing loss can cause problems in school and set the stage for hearing aids in later life
  2. #2  
    What?
  3. #4  
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  4. #5  
    You jest, but the way volume is implemented on WebOS, this is a serious problem for us. When connected to speakers, I have the volume all the way up to be nominal with what the radio would be, for example, in the car. If I put my headphones in, this is obviously going to be VERY LOUD!!!. Worse, the volume cannot be lowered until the music actually starts playing because of the way that WebOS apps control different sources. Until the music actually starts playing, the volume control on the phone controls the volume of notifications, not the music, even though I'm in the music player app (net2streams in this case).
    : (){:|:&};:
  5. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post
    You jest, but the way volume is implemented on WebOS, this is a serious problem for us. When connected to speakers, I have the volume all the way up to be nominal with what the radio would be, for example, in the car. If I put my headphones in, this is obviously going to be VERY LOUD!!!. Worse, the volume cannot be lowered until the music actually starts playing because of the way that WebOS apps control different sources. Until the music actually starts playing, the volume control on the phone controls the volume of notifications, not the music, even though I'm in the music player app (net2streams in this case).
    But does it go ?
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  6. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    But does it go ?
    My ThinkOutside boomtube does!!!
    Think Outside BoomTube H2O1 Speaker System - Review
    : (){:|:&};:
  7. mhill0823's Avatar
    Posts
    79 Posts
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    #8  
    I watched a whole news special on this the other day. Telling teens to turn down their music is unlikely.. It's one of those things they just have to get old and realize!
    “We are stronger than we think we are. We have courage that we do not recognize until we need it. We are equal to challenges that we haven't even imagined yet.”
  8.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by mhill0823 View Post
    I watched a whole news special on this the other day. Telling teens to turn down their music is unlikely.. It's one of those things they just have to get old and realize!
    So true!

    When the ringing in their ears won't stop,they will start turning down the volume and do more to protect what remaining hearing they have...or they will become deaf. Unfortunately, the hearing damage is cumulative and not reversible.
  9. mhill0823's Avatar
    Posts
    79 Posts
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by BobKy View Post
    So true!

    When the ringing in their ears won't stop,they will start turning down the volume and do more to protect what remaining hearing they have...or they will become deaf. Unfortunately, the hearing damage is cumulative and not reversible.
    It's really an awful thing. I'm so thankful that when I was younger I had sensitive ears so I never wanted loud music in my ears.!
    “We are stronger than we think we are. We have courage that we do not recognize until we need it. We are equal to challenges that we haven't even imagined yet.”
  10. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #11  
    Sometimes when my wife says to me "Huh? What did you say?"

    I immediately respond with, "I said, your hair looks nice."

    This works especially well when your previous comment to her was a sarcastic (muttered) comment in response to one of her nags.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  11. #12  
    i need to use that
  12. #13  
    I'd rather they ruin their ears instead of blurting the music through their phone speakers in public transport all the time. I've got no problem with music, I've got no problem with loud music, but the distorted basses and trebles make my ears and brain hurt. How indifferent do you have to be to music to accept that sound quality in ANY situation?
    'til we meet again.
    THL
  13. djmcgee's Avatar
    Posts
    626 Posts
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post
    You jest, but the way volume is implemented on WebOS, this is a serious problem for us. When connected to speakers, I have the volume all the way up to be nominal with what the radio would be, for example, in the car. If I put my headphones in, this is obviously going to be VERY LOUD!!!. Worse, the volume cannot be lowered until the music actually starts playing because of the way that WebOS apps control different sources. Until the music actually starts playing, the volume control on the phone controls the volume of notifications, not the music, even though I'm in the music player app (net2streams in this case).
    Wait a minute. Are you saying it is impossible to start your music without your earbuds in and then adjust your volume???? - Note sarcasm


    On a different slant. I never as a teen/young adult ever ever went to a concert or listened to the stereo really loud and I never listen to my car stereo above 10 (it goes to 40) - again please note the sarcasm.

    However, I do really think this is an issue and I frequently request my children to lower the volume to a reasonable level that allows them to enjoy their music without it being so loud as for me to be able to hear it too.

    Of course, my children do experience what good hearing is vicariously. They often complain that my hearing is too good since they can't even fart a block away without me hearing it.
    Last edited by djmcgee; 08/25/2010 at 02:34 PM. Reason: fun and need
    Dan

Posting Permissions